• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unable to get embedded subtitles to play (Netflix)

critterlovr

Hey folks, I'm unsure if this is something I'm doing wrong or not.

When I chose my show to download (The Witcher, Ep 1), I selected "Store subtitles as embedded".

When I load this episode to iTunes, and I choose either Subtitles: Auto (Recommended), or Subtitles: English, it does not show the subtitles on the actual episode.

Help please? I'm currently on the trial version, if that makes a difference. Thank you!

Hey folks, I'm unsure if this is something I'm doing wrong or not.

When I chose my show to download (The Witcher, Ep 1), I selected "Store subtitles as embedded".

When I load this episode to iTunes, and I choose either Subtitles: Auto (Recommended), or Subtitles: English, it does not show the subtitles on the actual episode.

Help please? I'm currently on the trial version, if that makes a difference. Thank you!

Trial Version should not have with that to do. I can test by if I get same problem if more get the same problem that are a bugg in ANYStream

Trial Version should not have with that to do. I can test by if I get same problem if more get the same problem that are a bugg in ANYStream
Or iTunes may have limited or no support for the given subtitle format.

@critterlovr Have you tested it with other players? VLC, for instance, or MPC?

@Prospere - no I have not. I'm not overly technical on this stuff, but I am happy to try to download one of those and see.

If it matters:
I did try playing it in Windows Media Player, and it also did not have the subtitles.
When I tried Windows Movies & TV, the Subtitles menu gave me an option to "Choose subtitle file". If I click it, it then allows me the option to upload from a location on my drive.

In a nutshell, it doesn't feel like the Embedded Subtitles is working as it should. Unfortunately, I'm one who needs Subtitles on as much as possible due to a slight hearing problem.

@Prospere - VLC does show the Subtitles, which is great! However, it doesn't solve my ultimate problem as we stream all our movies through AppleTV (iTunes).
When I use AnyDVD to rip movies, I'm able to embed the Subtitles into those which appear perfectly in iTunes. Is this perhaps a bug in AnyStream?

@Prospere - VLC does show the Subtitles, which is great! However, it doesn't solve my ultimate problem as we stream all our movies through AppleTV (iTunes).
When I use AnyDVD to rip movies, I'm able to embed the Subtitles into those which appear perfectly in iTunes. Is this perhaps a bug in AnyStream?

Playback via iTunes on the ATV is extremely limited. I’d suggest using a third party app for this like Infuse (highly recommended) or MrMc (Kodi) or Plex.
If you can, also post a mediainfo (mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) so we can see if it’s really a bug or an iTunes problem (I assume the latter).

@Sledgehamma - I will look at Infuse, thank you. Does Infuse typically work through AppleTV, or is it completely separate? I haven't looked at it yet...maybe my question will be easily answered once I do.

I "think" I ran the mediainfo correctly (I left everything default and opened the video in question). Is this what you're looking for?

upload_2020-10-12_8-59-28.png

At the bottom you'll see "First text stream", that's your subtitle track so it is very much added. The problem is with the playback software.

@Ch3vr0n - great thanks for confirming that.

Does anyone happen to know if I need only the Infuse software, or do I also need the aTV Flash as well to do be able to stream movies through Apple? I'm ok with getting both of them if needed, just don't want to be buying more than I need is all. :)

Thank you to everyone! You've all been awesome and gentle with this techno-noob.

If you're using AnyStream with embedded MP4 subtitles you could try using the external subtitles option and then muxing them into an MKV with MKVToolNix, that should work with your device.

@critterlovr I wouldn't say it is a "bug", rather lack of a feature. There are several formats of storing embedded subtitles. The method we are using appears to be problematic for the software you mentioned. We are aware of this fact and addition of other methods is on the list.

Back