• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unable to backup classic dr who

Thanks will give it a try this evening, to see what happens and report back

However, i assume this means that the resultant rip (as it would be multi angle) wouldnt actually merge the angles? This would mean my ultimate goal of streaming the vobs to my network dvd player would still fail (even if my pc player plays it fine) as I would be 1st streaming angle 1 then angle 2? or do i misunderstand how it works please? Thanks Tony
Well, maybe I am mistaken... can you tell me the exact name of one original disc having this problem? I like to order it at amazon.co.uk so I can check it myself.

Well, maybe I am mistaken... can you tell me the exact name of one original disc having this problem? I like to order it at amazon.co.uk so I can check it myself.

Hi James,

The one i've done the most testing on is Region 2 Doctor Who - Destiny of the Daleks. It's a BBC DVD by 2|Entertain

I do wonder if the problem might be with the ways i'm playing it. The PC software is Cyberlink PowerDVD v6. The way i want to play it (and all the DVD films i've ripped with CloneDVD, and actually checked, seem ok) is as a straight stream (like pulling an mpg) from a web server to a network dvd player

Would hate to think of you buying something if it's just me that's the problem!

Thanks
Tony

Have just tried ripping episode 4 with both angles selected. It seemed to only result in a single set of vobs (not duplicate as i had feared re streaming it later to my network dvd player)

There was no sign of the gray/blank frames (and re-viewing yesterdays straight rip from anydvd i think it's the same with that, there are flashes of gray but i think these are actually part of the effects. i.e. not the longish chunks of gray i got with the other ripping methods)

But (as with the rip from anydvd yesterday) the playback of the effected scenes is very jumpy, halting, and at times jumps back frames

Regards
Tony

There's a new Anydvd 6.3.0.2 beta, but I doubt that's going to address your issue. click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=11040

It seems to me that the issue you're having is likely related to your playback software--or the method you're playing your files, but I could be mistaken.

I'll try burning to an actual DVD tomorrow (don't have any disks at home) and playing it in a dvd player?

I'll try burning to an actual DVD tomorrow (don't have any disks at home) and playing it in a dvd player?

That might be a good idea.

If the original disc plays fine with Anydvd running in the background, it doesn't make any sense to me that the ripped files don't play fine.

That might be a good idea.

If the original disc plays fine with Anydvd running in the background, it doesn't make any sense to me that the ripped files don't play fine.

Actually i've only had anydvd running while doing rips. I always close it after ripping. So I haven't just played the original dvd in the software player with anydvd sitting there in the background.

So i'll try that as well and report back

Tried the original dvd with anydvd in the background - plays fine

Burnt one of the episode 4 rips (which wouldn't play back properly from the hard drive) to a dvd and that plays fine to

So i guess it's just a case that clonedvd won't produce vobs from these dvd's that i can play directly from the hard drive?

Thanks
Tony

So i guess it's just a case that clonedvd won't produce vobs from these dvd's that i can play directly from the hard drive?

It's probably an issue with your network player/web server.

The files produced on your dvd backup will be exactly the same as the ones on your harddrive.

Tried the original dvd with anydvd in the background - plays fine

Burnt one of the episode 4 rips (which wouldn't play back properly from the hard drive) to a dvd and that plays fine to

Thanks
Tony
Are you loading .vob files to play them??? OMG, that won't work. Load the .ifo files in DVD player software.

EDIT: CloneDVD mobile creates single large .vob files for playback, but I would still recommend playing the .ifo files from CloneDVD.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my software player crashes whenever i launch an ifo, but as i never actually want to play them via a software player that's not a problem for me. I was using it purely to test the vob streaming

The bottom line is i need to be able to play just the vobs as my sole objective is to stream them to my network dvd player, and this works fine for most films & tv series i've tried with clonedvd. It's only the classic who and simpsons movie i've seen a problem with so far, but i have a few hundred movies i haven't ripped yet.

I assume from your response that CloneDVD won't be able to support this then please? Not looking foward to it but i'll start reripping the 600 or so dvd's with dvdshrink. It's not 100% perfect, but i can stream the classic who vobs it creates. Probably use a combo of the 2 programs i guess, but it means having to check every rip after making it.

Thanks for the help though everyone

Regards
Tony

Not looking foward to it but i'll start reripping the 600 or so dvd's with dvdshrink.

Very bad idea--especially with heavily protected discs

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992 and read fully please

By the way, the rips from both Anydvd ripper and Clonedvd can be imported into Shrink. Shrink requires fairly strict adherence to the dvd-video standard in order for anything to be imported into Shrink. As such, if your playback methods can not handle the rip from Anydvd ripper nor Clonedvd, I suggest the problem is not Clonedvd or Anydvd, but rather an issue with either the method you are using the play the dvd files--or an issue with your network player.

One potential solution may be to use Clonedvd mobile as James has suggested.

Thanks for the heads up on shrink etc

The dvd player needs the vob sent as a simple stream, so i don't really have any choice. When streamed over the network it can't process it as a dvd so i need to end up with a vob(s) that have anything odd (like the effects in dr who dvd's) "in-line" so to speak (pretty much like a simple mpg)

Will take a look at the mobile version, but it will only be of use to me if it can create the files without doing any compression. Will download a trial thanks

I guess, if the mobile version doesn't do as i need, i'll simply have to check thru each movie run thru clonedvd and if i have the problems then try shrink. And if that fails throw the dvd away!

Ok, have tried CloneDVDMobile in vob pass thru mode

Firstly just choosing a single angle. This seems to play fine in powerdvd, but problem scenes on network dvd player were very jittery

Then tried it again choosing both angles. Again powerdvd was fine, and this time the network dvd player played it back as well as it had the shrinkdvd version. That's to say the points where the effects are slotted in (not sure of the correct term) gives a momentary halt, but other than that fine. I can live with that.

Will have to play around a bit more, but given the fact clonedvdmobile will also let me rip the stuff for my ipod and mobile I'll almost certainly buy a copy

Sorry that i didn't understand the difference between the 2 programs, but many thanks for the help

Regards
Tony

Back