• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ultra HD Blu-ray Standard Is Now Complete

Downscaling or a core seems illogical or and more simply impossible since existing standard 1080p players wouldn't know to look for it nor be equipped to downscale content above 1080p down to 1080p. Plus a standard 1080p player will be unable to handle the newer protections if it's wrapped inside of or part of the new UHD content. It specifically notes the UHD discs are backward compatible. Meaning that disc. Not an extra disc like we see with Blu-ray + DVD releases.

h265 compression is better but we also have more data due to higher resolution. That said, the discs hold more. It could be possible that the discs are effectively a hybrid where there's a layer containing plain old 1080p HD content with protections that a standard 1080p player reads and uses while a UHD player ignores that and uses the UHD content by default be it on the same layer(s) or other layers.

With respect to Warner putting the cost on the public I'm not sure I agree. They'll sell fewer discs if a 1080p Blu-ray isn't sold and people refuse to buy a new UHD player to get the new UHD release. On the other hand they'll save money producing a release with both HD and UHD on a single disc. Furthermore, they'll wind up with more sales meaning more profit.

Of course everything I said is speculation but I have trouble believing that the backward compatibility is all made up BS. It's always possible either way. Time will tell.

If they want people to upgrade then they need to offer a product to use during the transition and having both HD and UHD on a single disc is the way to do it.
How to do this technically? A flipper like in the HD-DVD days?

It could be possible that the discs are effectively a hybrid where there's a layer containing plain old 1080p HD content with protections that a standard 1080p player reads and uses while a UHD player ignores that and uses the UHD content by default be it on the same layer(s) or other layers.
Possible, yes, but I smell a lot of compatibility problems with existing players.

How to do this technically? A flipper like in the HD-DVD days?

I would hope not. I've always hated flipper discs.

Possible, yes, but I smell a lot of compatibility problems with existing players.

Yes, I pondered that, as well, and there will likely already be enough headaches without adding more into the mix. But, again, as noted before I am merely speculating on the limited vague information available.

It would just be a lot easier to throw in a separate standard BD-25 with the 1080p version, less headache and full compatibility.

Again, this is the only source reporting UHD BD backwards compatibility with BD players, all other sources/reports quote Warner Bros statement and have no mention of it backwards compatibility at all.

I guess we will wait and see, but I just think this is a mistake.

Last edited:
Back