• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ultra HD Blu-ray Standard Is Now Complete

Does it mean that if I spent 28 grand on the first generation 4K Sony projector that it isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant that any new Hd Blu-ray discs won't work ???
I just have to ask, but was that a hypothetical question or have you really spent 28K (Canadian or USD) on 4K UHD? :)
Personally, I would not pay a lot for UHD as XHD will be around the corner soon, probably. It is amazing that from 1965 to about 1990 there was almost no advancement in TV tech standards and now it's changing every few years.

So far my take is that there is not a huge demand for AnyDVDHD for 4K AACS 2.0 yet, don't get too excited until more content is released. But no doubt they are looking at it :)

Last edited:
A while back, this was the test that I gave Plasma vs LED, LCD.
Plasma STILL comes out on top, im sure you will disagree but for me, it gives the most natural image (closest to looking out of a window)
Not made anymore.
Plasma was the best. I agree. LCD was just better at the propaganda game.

I just have to ask, but was that a hypothetical question or have you really spent 28K (Canadian or USD) on 4K UHD? :)
It's hypothetical. 8)
I could build another garage and or buy a nice truck with that.
They brought in a few at Audio Video Unlimited in Victoria BC and they all sold with in a few days ! :eek:
There's money in Victoria and people that have to have the first one that comes out.

Last edited:
So I thought I would update thus thread a little bit.
I asked Cyberlink this question:
At the end of the year UHD Blu-ray is expected to be officially released as well as stand-alone players.
Does Cyberlink have any plans on providing a player to play the new UHD Blu-rays ? I suspect a new license will be required on your part so the player will support any new versions of AACS and of course the new HDCP 2.2.
Apparently the new BDXL drives will be able to read the new format, but with out a software player it would be much good.

Cyberlink answered:

In regards to your concern for PowerDVD as new specification for BD movie title, currently PowerDVD15 does not support UHD BD playback yet.
However, we have reported the feature support suggestion to product team for future product development and consideration.

Not a total no, "yet" being the operative word...

And James, I quote you:
"IMHO the only good reason for this format is to get a wider color gamut and higher frame rates. But I believe I'll pass".

Having found a Sony 300ES projector for a good price and being a native 4K, I can tell you that the resolution increase is extremely noticeable, the projector does an excellent job of up-scaling regular Blu-rays to 4K or rather 3860 x 2160p, when a native 2160p source is played, it will be amazing !

There are large number of forum members over at AVS with HTPC's that are chomping at the bit for UHD Blu-ray, many of which are using MPC-HC and MPC-BR.
All of them will be needing SlySoft to play the UHD on the PC's, assuming that the BDXL readers can play the discs.
I'll be the first to come knocking if they can. :D

Good question Jeff and a promising answer, My Pawtec UltraSlim External USB 3.0 BDXL drive is collecting dust for now waiting for some action.

Supposedly Warner Bros will start releasing new movies on DVD and Ultra-HD Blu-ray only, since you're supposed to be able to play UBR movies in a standard Blu-ray player (albeit at 1080p).

since you're supposed to be able to play UBR movies in a standard Blu-ray player

euhm no, they won't. UHD discs require a UHD player. You can play standard BD's on a UHD player, but not the opposite. That has never been the case with any type of optical disc. You can play a CD in a DVD player but u can't play a DVD in a CD player, you can play a DVD in a blu-ray player but you can't play a blu-ray in a DVD player.

Supposedly Warner Bros will start releasing new movies on DVD and Ultra-HD Blu-ray only,

I'd love to see your source on that one.

Interesting article over at Fudzilla: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/39566-...rst-ultra-hd-4k-hdr-blu-ray-releases-for-2016

[...]

Warner has also said that current theatrical titles from the company will also be released in the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc format as well as DVD versions, skipping the standard Blu-ray disc format release altogether. This is fine, however, because new UHD Blu-ray discs are backward compatible with existing Blu-ray players, with the exception of only playing in 1080p “Full HD” rather than the new 2160p “Ultra High Definition” format.

[...]

Last edited:
Well that's a game changer and completely opposite to what all the uhd articles have been saying before. I wonder if the standard got changed, last I remember uhd discs would require totally new hardware players.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Yes they are not stupid (provided this information is correct)

This is the ONLY way they have any chance of saving the new format from being a total flop.

A new player would have made sure it would flop.
Also, a third disk choice would have done the same.

There will still sort of be only 2 choices (as far as Joe Public) is concerned, DVD Disks or Blu Ray Disks.

I would think that this also forces Slysoft to tackle the new format.
We will have to wait and see if this is possible.

Cost of the new disks will also be important of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will still need a new player if you want to view it at UHD

You will still need a new player if you want to view it at UHD

Yes of course, but if a 4K disk can play at reduced def (HD) on a standard Blu Ray player then this is the game changer for 4K disks and their marketing.

Yes of course, but if a 4K disk can play at reduced def (HD) on a standard Blu Ray player then this is the game changer for 4K disks and their marketing.
This would require, that the movie is stored twice on the disc, one in HD and one in UHD.

This would require, that the movie is stored twice on the disc, one in HD and one in UHD.

Yes I did think that a dual version was required, otherwise the player would need to be able to decrypt completely new AACS, read 2160 media (don't think so) and downscale before output to HDMI.
If it could do all that, then VERY forward thinking from day one Blu Ray LOL.

If that report is un-true then 4K disks are dead in the water I would have thought.

I don't hold much faith in that report either. It's completely contradictory to all previous news.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Personally, I don't know why it's hard to believe. Blu-ray adoption still hasn't taken over. DVDs are still sold. And they want to phase out standard HD Blu-ray? The logic is lacking. They want to force existing HD Blu-ray player owners to upgrade by not offering standard Blu-ray releases but, hey, you are stuck in the past with a DVD player so it's all good. We'll still make that! Sorry, that makes no sense to me. If they want people to upgrade then they need to offer a product to use during the transition and having both HD and UHD on a single disc is the way to do it. Plus, it reduces the number of discs that need to be manufactured because it covers both bases.

This all depends on HOW you read this statement: :http://www.fudzilla.com/news/39566-...rst-ultra-hd-4k-hdr-blu-ray-releases-for-2016

It says that these new releases will NOT be offered in standard Blu Ray. i.e. only in UHD.

It is further saying, unbelievably, that this UHD media, WILL be able to be read by a standard Blu Ray Player and output, downscaled to HD.

Quote from statement: "new UHD Blu-ray discs are backward compatible with existing Blu-ray players, with the exception of only playing in 1080p “Full HD” rather than the new 2160p “Ultra High Definition” format."

There is NO mention of dual format.

Hard to believe.

HD core ?????????

If it IS dual format, then Warner IS selling the movie in standard Blu Ray.
Dual format packaged, at what cost to public.

I'd guess that particular source could be wrong.

I've seen many places reporting Warner Bros first/upcoming Bluray UHD titles over the last week or so, non of them specifically mention that they are won't be available on standard Blu-ray. Some report that new WB theatrical releases will be released in UHD the same day as the Blu-ray and DVD releases.

I'd guess that particular source could be wrong.

I've seen many places reporting Warner Bros first/upcoming Bluray UHD titles over the last week or so, non of them specifically mention that they are won't be available on standard Blu-ray. Some report that new WB theatrical releases will be released in UHD the same day as the Blu-ray and DVD releases.

Yes it is hard to believe alright DD.

Back