• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UI bugs

markfilipak

AnyDVD HD (v 8.3.5.0), UI bugs.

No Bugs forum, eh? ... Hmmm ... I'll report the bugs I found here.

Suppose there's a movie: "Pick My Nose". Suppose it's disc label is 'PICK_NOSE'. Suppose the destination is to be
d:\movies\Pick My Nose.iso

_____ What Happens -- 4 Scenarios _____

Suppose I right-click the tray icon and select "Rip to image..." while the "AnyDVD HD" interface is open.
The "AnyDVD HD" interface is given focus. Nothing else happens.

Suppose I right-click the tray icon and select "Rip to image..." while the "AnyDVD HD" interface is NOT open.
The "AnyDVD Ripper" dialog opens -- Source Directory: "B: MATSHITA BC-MLT UJ272Q (PICK_NOSE)".
Suppose I paste
into Destination Filename & click [Copy Disc].
Ripping proceeds normally.

Suppose instead I launch
"C:\Program Files (x86)\RedFox\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe" -r
via a Start Menu shortcut while the "AnyDVD HD" interface is open.

Suppose I launch
"C:\Program Files (x86)\RedFox\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe" -r
via a Start Menu shortcut while the "AnyDVD HD" interface is NOT open.
The "AnyDVD Ripper" dialog opens -- Source Directory: "B: MATSHITA BC-MLT UJ272Q (PICK_NOSE)".
Suppose I paste
into Destination Filename & click [Copy Disc].
An error box appears that says:
"d:\movies\Pick My Nose.iso\PICK_NOSE.
The system cannot find the path specified."

_____ What Should Happen _____

In every scenario, the ripping dialog should open, the destination I paste in should be honored without error, and the movie should be ripped.

_____ 2 Bugs _____

The "AnyDVD HD" interface & the "AnyDVD Ripper" dialog are having a fight.
The Destination Filename path is getting corrupted -- in particular circumstances, the disc label is being appended to the destination I paste in, provoking an error.

PS: I want to take this opportunity to state that AnyDVD is one of the most thoughtfully designed applications that I've had the pleasure to use.

Last edited:
Suppose I right-click the tray icon and select "Rip to image..." while the "AnyDVD HD" interface is open.

This is actually by design. It is my polite way to tell the user "hey user, finish you settings, so we can use them for ripping".

The Destination Filename path is getting corrupted -- in particular circumstances, the disc label is being appended to the destination I paste in, provoking an error.
Yes, there is some room for improvement. ;)

"Finish your settings"? To the best of my knowledge, the settings have been made.

I haven't made changes to the interface since I first installed AnyDVD. Perhaps this issue shows up because I have 'Program Settings' > '[x] Show information window for new media' checked. I have it checked so that I can see the report regarding what AnyDVD has found about the disc. Of course, that is what's causing the "AnyDVD HD" interface to open upon disc insertion, but whether the interface is open or not, I would expect AnyDVD to behave consistently.

You may not have made any changes, but the fact that the MAIN GUI is open, is enough for the ripper code to assume you're either (still) making changes or are going to make changes, and the ripper cannot start. Being done like this, enables the ripper to use different settings for each rip.

For example

Disc 1: Imported disc region A, to be used in region B
Disc 2: Standard region B disc

User inserts both discs in 2 drives. Considering the fact that only 1 needs region removal, user immediately starts ripping disc 2. User then proceeds to open the main GUI, and goes to the region removal part. The main GUI being open, prevents the 2nd ripping to start (because i believe it partially uses the same code), user then tells anydvd to remove disc region, and closes the main GUI. Rightclick ripper option at this point becomes available again, and user starts the ripping process.

End result: 2 ripping instances, each with their own different settings applied to the ripping process.

"... the MAIN GUI is open, is enough for the ripper code to assume you're either (still) making changes or are going to make changes". Really?

It's not a big bug. Just a little bug. Actually, I think the "Rip to image..." function should be moved to the main GUI.

An alternative architecture might be to move the disc statistics to a separate pop-up instead of the main GUI.

PS: Here's another little glitch. If the main GUI is open, the ripping dialog can't be [Close]ed after ripping. I have to close the main GUI first.

Last edited:
Yes really.

Moving the ripper to the main gui is a bad idea. Most users configure anydvd once and are done. No more need to open it. The ripper functionality can this be accessed by a simple right click, instead of having to first open the main UI navigate to a possible new menu section and many more clicks. Would be much more intensive task for a user like me with frequent multiple simultaneous rips (through multiple drives).

As said by James, it's not a bug, it's by design. (And keeps anydvd as simple as possible to use, while not being as bloated like that monkey's tool)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

What about the alternative: "...move the disc statistics to a separate pop-up instead of the main GUI"? I need to see the new disc's stats, but I wish I didn't have to have the main GUI open to see them. Having the main GUI open leads to the trouble about which I'm writing.

PS: Thanks for discussing this issue. I'll leave now.

Statistics? You mean the decryption status information? (those arent statistics, that's a completely different thing), well i'm guessing a similar stand applies to the decryption info. Most don't care, as long as it's handled properly. I'm guessing the main (only?) time someone would need to go look in the status info is when screenpass is/might be involved and the user is looking for the proper playlist (and seeing if it's there or not). I'm guessing you're an exception to this :)

As to moving the status info, that's for @James to decide if he can/wants to do it. Perhaps he can add a slimmed down version of it (minus the drive info perhaps) via an on-demand accessible menu item under the tray icon's right click functionality. I can't do that or make them do it. Just a mod :)

The Status... This stuff:
Summary for drive B: (AnyDVD HD 8.3.5.0, BDPHash.bin 18-12-06)
MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ272Q 1.00
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 21838048 sectors (42652 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: GOLDFINGER_DOM
Media is AACS protected!
Media is BD+ protected!
Drive supports bus encryption!
AACS MKB version 10
Using online database!
Removed AACS copy protection!
Removed BD+ copy protection!
Bad sector protection not found.

I need that to see whether the BD is a BD-25 or BD-50, and whether the DVD is a DVD-5 or DVD-9 and what the DVD's region code is.

You do know that info is usually on the packaging right? ;-)

For DVDs, # of layers is on the artwork about half the time. Region codes for DVDs are often ...incomplete -- for example: Region 1 on the artwork, but Region 134 on the disc. BD artworks almost never indicate single-/dual-layer. AnyDVD doesn't indicate single-/dual-layer for BDs either, but it does show the #bytes and I can suss out BD-25/-50 from that. I could look at the bottom of the disc before I put it in to see how many layers it has, but I forget to do that.

I came here to report 2 bugs. As it turns out, the 1st is by design -- not happy with it, but it's minor. The 2nd bug is real. Have a nice day.

PS: If you look, you'll see that I tried to end this thread 4 hours ago, but Ch3vr0n wanted to discuss/help more.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any "bug" you are reporting but only things you would like to have it handled in a different way / UI style . So - where is the "bug""?

You refer to the same post. So what's new? I still think it's a matter of preferences or likes or don't likes but not a bug. Why is this a bug?

How about - just get used to it?
The now now, be nice! He could only report what he thought was a bug (for all intended purposes the first one could have been, instead of by design). Had he not done so, he couldnt have been informed it wasn't (for the first), and if the first had been a bug and not reported it might not have been fixed.

Now it's in the hands of @James to figure out if/how he can improve 'bug 1' and if/how he can do the other item.

Back