• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD friendly drive extremely slow ripping UHD disks

As others say it's just Windows Defender being Windows Defender and wrong. It's getting better than it used to be but... still has a long ways to go.

I'm running ESET Internet Security 11 & Malwarebytes Premium 3 and they didn't bat an eyelash at it.
Disabled Windows Defender and used Malwarebytes to confirm that it--the file-- was safe

Then take control of it and tell it to behave. temp disable it, redownload and if needed make an exclusion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk
Ch3vr0n, like I told the others, I did that, so I'm ok.

One question, for you: How do I re-enable the Real time protection for Windows Defender?? It's greyed out, and I want it to be re-enabled.

EDIT: Forget what I asked. Windows Defender will re-enable the setting after a few minutes or so.

Good to hear, FYI there is or rather should be only one exception to that setting being greyed out. If you use a third party AV (like me, Avast) which provides real-time protection that setting will be disabled entirely. Reason is simple. Multiple parties providing the same service for cause issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

For those who are truly paranoid and/or inquisitive here are is the VirusTotal link: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...c0a2906ca8d97fb25f2ff966/analysis/1518994235/

TeddyRaspin's flasher is 2/62 with Cylance and Webroot being the odd men out. Never even heard of Cylance and, frankly, I wouldn't pick Webroot over better AVs. Yeah, the flasher is okay. As noted, TeddyRaspin has been providing firmwares for awhile. I think he's proven himself already.

Last edited:
If anyone is still thinking of downloading the ASUS BW-16D1HT Firmware V.3.03, don't bother! I installed one of these drives for the first time today and after downloading said update the ZIP file is password protected!! Did an online chat with ASUS (yes they now have chat) and the support rep said they're having problems with the download section at present, he didn't know the password for the ZIP. He gave me a working link for v.3.0.2 which installed OK.

Last edited:
If anyone is still thinking of downloading the ASUS BW-16D1HT Firmware V.3.03, don't bother! I installed one of these drives for the first time today and after downloading said update the ZIP file is password protected!! Did an online chat with ASUS (yes they now have chat) and the support rep said they're having problems with the download section at present, he didn't know the password for the ZIP. He gave me a working link for v.3.0.2 which installed OK.

No one should ever want the 3.03 firmware, anyway. :p

The links in my previous post still work: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/uhd...ow-ripping-uhd-disks.74182/page-2#post-484078

With the above being said, if you click on the "See All Downloads" button below the 3.03 firmware download or the "Expand All +" above then you see the 3.02 firmware and the ASUS E-Green Utility downloads. The links are good and the archives are extractable. It's just the 3.03 firmware download that's broken. That's not a bad thing and maybe someone "accidentally" messed up the download link since ASUS is selling a good number of drives as of late. ;)

If your thinking of using it for UHD ripping you should stay at 3.0.2.

Actually, I just realized/noticed something. It appears they may have re-released the 3.03 firmware update for the ASUS BW-16D1HT or whoever deals with the website is being weird. The website used to show a release date of like January 21 or 25, 2018. Modified date was January 19. 2019. It was released around then and posted. Now it's showing a release date of February 14, 2018. Interesting...

Edit: The website is showing a firmware update for the BC-12D2HT released dated February 21, 2018. It's v3.01 but the flasher modified date is February 11, 2018. Since I don't have a that drive I don't know when the previous firmware came out but I would have expected in January 2018. What are you up to, ASUS?

Last edited:
Thanks guys.., UHD is something I can only dream about myself but it's reassuring to note that you don't recommend the 3.03 update for that reason. And to think I nearly naffed-up my new BD writer!!

@DrinkLyeAndDie

You might be right about the ASUS website acting weird.., I sent in a support request and waited 16 days for a reply and so I complained and received another reply saying my complaint had already been answered, like hell had it!!! They didn't even bother responding and closed my case. ASUS always seemed like a good company in the past but my opinion has changed somewhat lately. One can only hope their new support site and the inclusion of the chat facility will speed things along.

So, for the download I switched from Windows 10 x64 to Windows 10 x86. I could then download the 3.03 firmware which is is showing as dated February 21, 2018. Upon extracting the flasher from the ZIP the modified date is February 13, 2018. But the 3.03 was released earlier in January as I have already noted. Maybe @TeddyRaspin might find something of interest here.

Thread moved out of the AnyDVD section.

@DrinkLyeAndDie

Both firmwares have the same checksum. The difference is in the zip file which seems to be encrypted or password protected, but firmware hash is the same as before.

@DrinkLyeAndDie

Both firmwares have the same checksum. The difference is in the zip file which seems to be encrypted or password protected, but firmware hash is the same as before.

Hmmm... neither of my ZIPs are password protected or encrypted? The Win 10 x64 link works again.

Previous Firmware 3.03 download:

Code:
Release date: January 22, 2018
Filename: ASUS_Website_FW_Updater_For_BW_16D1HT (FW_3.03).exe
Modified date: ‎Friday, ‎January ‎19, ‎2018, ‏‎3:02:52 AM
SHA-256 Hash: 1abc23b1c2ed69b6a6b411c5ce21584aab0c5e88a927275edfef2c20b589b919

New Firmware 3.03 download:

Code:
Release date: February 21, 2018
Filename: ASUS ODD FW Updater for BW-16D1HT_3.03.exe
Modified date: ‎Sunday, ‎February ‎11, ‎2018, ‏‎9:30:54 PM
SHA-256 Hash: d29b66c0baf0caacfa7e9376a6cd781bc1b83f6a6ed54db23f4bf74e4a6e9888

Last edited:
I have an lg BE16NU50 drive. It rips blurays at 24 mb/s, but it only rips UHD disk at .5 mb/s. I received a uhdkeys.txt file from this forum and someone else pm me with a file too. I don't know if it's the drive, the fact that my Mad Max fury road disk is looking for a different key than the one in the file, or a bad disk. The firmware is 1.01 and I haven't touched the firmware at all.

I know this topic has evolved far beyond the original post but just wanted to mention that I have the BE16NU50 drive and found that for over 40 UHD titles, I got a rip rate of at least 24 mb/s --- until I recently tried to rip Mad Max UHD. It ripped around .5 mb/s as Jamie has stated. I let it run overnight and in the morning found AnyDVD gave up on the disc mid-way through.

I have a BE16NU50 with firmware 1.00 and another with 1.01 and both had the problem.

Not an AnyDVD problem. of course, because using makeMKV and even trying a direct File Explorer copy got the same results.

But only with this title.

Jamie you say you got the title to rip fine with the ASUS so I guess there's some problem just with the BE16NU50 and this disc perhaps.

But the drive has worked excellently with any other DVD, Blu Ray, or UHD disc I have ever thrown at it.

T

I have two BE16NU50 as well :)
If you are curious, and if you want to have 25-30% faster rips then you can crossflash one of your devices into an ASUS with TeddyRaspin's dosflash guide.
You'd have to remove the drive from the enclosure which is very simple with this device.

Cool!!

If you are curious, and if you want to have 25-30% faster rips then you can crossflash one of your devices into an ASUS with TeddyRaspin's dosflash guide.
You'd have to remove the drive from the enclosure which is very simple with this device.

Thanks Tourist, but I'm good.

Right now I have 2 UHD-friendly drives that can rip UHDs in around an hour for the most part. That works for me.

If I start mucking about with dosflash and the like I'm liable to end up with less and maybe no working drive at all (lol).

These drives are not slow by any means. So I'll stick with what I have right now.

Appreciate the tip though!

T

I know this topic has evolved far beyond the original post but just wanted to mention that I have the BE16NU50 drive and found that for over 40 UHD titles, I got a rip rate of at least 24 mb/s --- until I recently tried to rip Mad Max UHD. It ripped around .5 mb/s as Jamie has stated. I let it run overnight and in the morning found AnyDVD gave up on the disc mid-way through.

I have a BE16NU50 with firmware 1.00 and another with 1.01 and both had the problem.

Not an AnyDVD problem. of course, because using makeMKV and even trying a direct File Explorer copy got the same results.

But only with this title.

Jamie you say you got the title to rip fine with the ASUS so I guess there's some problem just with the BE16NU50 and this disc perhaps.

But the drive has worked excellently with any other DVD, Blu Ray, or UHD disc I have ever thrown at it.

T
Since I got the Asus drive I have had no problems ripping UHD disks

[...]

Previous Firmware 3.03 download:

Code:
Release date: January 22, 2018
Filename: ASUS_Website_FW_Updater_For_BW_16D1HT (FW_3.03).exe
Modified date: ‎Friday, ‎January ‎19, ‎2018, ‏‎3:02:52 AM
SHA-256 Hash: 1abc23b1c2ed69b6a6b411c5ce21584aab0c5e88a927275edfef2c20b589b919

New Firmware 3.03 download:

Code:
Release date: February 21, 2018
Filename: ASUS ODD FW Updater for BW-16D1HT_3.03.exe
Modified date: ‎Sunday, ‎February ‎11, ‎2018, ‏‎9:30:54 PM
SHA-256 Hash: d29b66c0baf0caacfa7e9376a6cd781bc1b83f6a6ed54db23f4bf74e4a6e9888

So, it appears ASUS is following others in encrypting their firmware to make life harder. Pioneer has been doing this for years. Surprised everyone doesn't, actually, especially since Blu-ray was released and now UHD. Mystery solved.

Hi Tourist,

i have an LG BE16NU50 manufactured december 2017 with FW 1.02. My drive is recognizing Blurays but not UHDs. Can you help me to get it run?
regards

Back