• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD external drive for ripping/burning USB only

cartman0208

EDIT: I'm looking for an external drive for UHD ripping/writing with USB only, preferrably USB 3
I don't want an extra power supply

And I'd like a one-in-all solution ... not an internal drive with extra case...

Is that possible/available?

Last edited:
That would depend on your usecase. It seems to only have USB 2.0 and has BD listed (6X BD-R/ 2X BD-RE), but I cannot tell how useful this is.
But it appears to have a friendly firmware, at least I have a folder called WP50NB40-NB50 and two firmware files in my flashing folder. So I would assume (without being an expert) that it might work with the MakeMKV approach as well.
"HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WP50NB40-NB50-1.01-NM00200-211711231646.bin"
"HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WP50NB40-NB50-1.03-NM00800-212005070929"

So if you mainly use DVDs and prefer it because of it's design above all others, than I would consider it. I got my Asus 16D1HT for the same money though, but if you want to have it external (or have to, because your PC case does not have a place for putting drives into), then you have to use an adapter cable or buy the case, like the OWC Mercury Pro. It is good, but adds another 70€ to the list and is not available on Amz right now.
Code:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XRCCV44/

Oh ok, in that case I can send you the external drive I use to get BD on my laptop, and sometimes to have two drives on my PC:
Code:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07MTP9VKX/
It get's recognizes as a Pioneer drive and since AnyDVD can now MakeMKV, it should support UHDs as well.
I tried if it really works by inserting a disc from Lotr or Hobbit into it and was excited to see a positive result. But I only let AnyDVD analyse the disc, I never ripped an UHD disc with that since the Asus is my main drive and seems to work now, despite being buggy in the past.

Oops, forgot to include the screenshot and cannot attach it to my previous post. Here it is.
2022-09-13_161552.png

Thanks, much appreciated.
Could you try to rip a disk?
It's not urgent, I'm currently just gathering recommendations.

Thanks
So according to that post the device DeepSpace recommended with the Pio BDR-UD04 drive should be a good allrounder ?

Yes. But be aware that with the Pioneer drives you are limited to AnyDVD and Makemkv software. The "monkey software" doesn't work with this drive and UHDs.
Since Coop confirmed it, I will not try to rip a disc now.
But should you want to be sure, I can re-rip a Star Trek or Lotr disc with it. Especially since the Lotr discs are triple-layer and therefore more error prone.
(Two discs from Star Trek are as well: The Directors Cut of the first movie and then the fifth or sixth movie, because it also has this Extended Cut. But instead of Lotr, they all went well, even with the Asus I thought to be faulty. No single hiccup for 820GB. On Lotr, I had an read issue or two, not exactly sure anymore).

Yes. But be aware that with the Pioneer drives you are limited to AnyDVD and Makemkv software. The "monkey software" doesn't work with this drive and UHDs.
No ripping software from the monkey on my machine ... ;)
Since Coop confirmed it, I will not try to rip a disc now.
That's ok, if it doesn't work, Amazon will take it back :D

It should work, I always use it for BDs on my laptop and as a second drive for DVDs, and there where plenty of it already.
And it seems to work with UHD discs as well.
The only thing I don't have in mind is the ripping speed. It has a USB 3.0 cable and the case comes with USB C, but I never paid attention to the MB/s. My laptop is USB 2.0 only and I rarely use it on my PC.

It should work, I always use it for BDs on my laptop and as a second drive for DVDs, and there where plenty of it already.
And it seems to work with UHD discs as well.
The only thing I don't have in mind is the ripping speed. It has a USB 3.0 cable and the case comes with USB C, but I never paid attention to the MB/s. My laptop is USB 2.0 only and I rarely use it on my PC.
See ripping speeds in the link I provided to cartman.

Back