• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD Blu-ray?

yahknow1

I was just curious, if I have a non copy protected ISO of a UHD Blu-ray, would CloneBD be able to transcode into MKV or even copy to dual layer BD?

Transcode to MKV - easily.
To dual-layer BD: there are a few bugs that are being ironed out, so the next version will probably do that.

Excellent, I thought that it would. Wonder why everyone's talking about Make MKV? With CloneBD I can compress the file size down somewhat, I don't think Make MKV can do that?

Excellent, I thought that it would. Wonder why everyone's talking about Make MKV? With CloneBD I can compress the file size down somewhat, I don't think Make MKV can do that?
For those, who simply want to repackage the source from UHD to MKV, MakeMKV is fine.

But - the free version of CloneBD does the same thing, much more intuitively and easier. And can do a lot more plus comes with a player that helps scanning through the video.
The paid version compresses the video or can transcode to SDR (if you don't have an HDR monitor), ...

For those, who simply want to repackage the source from UHD to MKV, MakeMKV is fine.

But - the free version of CloneBD does the same thing, much more intuitively and easier. And can do a lot more plus comes with a player that helps scanning through the video.
The paid version compresses the video or can transcode to SDR (if you don't have an HDR monitor), ...

So this brings me to another question, I don't have HDR display now, but I will in the near future. I'd like to future-proof my rips to include HDR and Wide Color Gamut in the MKV file. My question is if I encode the MKV with these in it, can I view that video on my current display?

So this brings me to another question, I don't have HDR display now, but I will in the near future. I'd like to future-proof my rips to include HDR and Wide Color Gamut in the MKV file. My question is if I encode the MKV with these in it, can I view that video on my current display?

Tricky question. It depends on what players you have available. And what hardware.
CloneBD itself will play back HDR content on an SDR monitor very nicely, if you have an nVidia GTX9xx or higher.
That is because it can convert the colour space and luminance using CUDA pretty efficiently and turns it into proper SDR.

If you play back HDR content with a non-HDR-aware player, the results on an SDR monitor look very pale and greenish.

Proper real-time conversion of HDR to SDR requires good hardware acceleration, because it is computationally hungry as hell.

Tricky question. It depends on what players you have available. And what hardware.
CloneBD itself will play back HDR content on an SDR monitor very nicely, if you have an nVidia GTX9xx or higher.
That is because it can convert the colour space and luminance using CUDA pretty efficiently and turns it into proper SDR.

If you play back HDR content with a non-HDR-aware player, the results on an SDR monitor look very pale and greenish.

Proper real-time conversion of HDR to SDR requires good hardware acceleration, because it is computationally hungry as hell.

I see, so I had better just test it for myself?

My playback hardware is MKV from NAS to a HTPC (i7-3770K) with GTX1080Ti played back with Plex HT through a Denon AVR-X6200W (with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2)

I see, so I had better just test it for myself?

My playback hardware is a HTPC (i7-3770K) with GTX1080Ti played back with Plex HT through a Denon AVR-X6200W (with HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2)

Well, there you have all the good material :)
Just compare playback to what you see with the CloneBD preview.

Back