U.S. group wants Canada blacklisted over piracy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TM2-Megatron, Feb 16, 2007.

1. TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron Well-Known Member

Saw this posted on another board I go to, figured I'd bring it here.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

So, what's the general consensus here? Personally, I think their attempts to paint Canada as some kind of renegade country where copyright pirates sail the Great Lakes mass-producing mod chips and illegal DVDs for the innocent children of America comes off as amusing more than anything else. It seems these people won't be happy until everyone is subjected to the same ridiculously extreme laws the U.S. is.

2. diskwatcher

diskwatcher Well-Known Member

Ignore them they're liars (50% of all movie piracy in canadian? When that got hooted down they dropped the number to 25%.).
    Any use you don't pay them for is piracy in their view.:mad:
    What you're seeing is part of the "digital land grab".

3. lordvader

lordvader Active Member

Whatever!

Maybe the Canadian Government does not control it's people like they do here! Sadly, this country is not much of a free country anymore! Everything is a money making scheme and we have to buy our rights as americans back from the government! Utterly sad!

4. schbusdrvr

schbusdrvr Active Member

Since most of the movies are made in the States, and thus the money stays here with our actors, actresses and production companies, what incentive does the Canadian government have to make and enforce laws to help keep money here?

5. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Actually a number of films and a few television shows have been shot in Vancouver and in Toronto (amongst other places).

Toronto also hosts an international film festival, which attracts a lot of American actors and actresses.

6. schbusdrvr

schbusdrvr Active Member

Ok, so I guess my saying "most" was inaccurate? Sorry. It will be interesting to see what develops out of all of this.

7. Webslinger

Well, I suppose most Hollywood films are, but not all are. There has been an interest in shooting more films in Canada due to lower costs (this was especially true of some television shows like the X-Files, which was mostly shot in Vancouver).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  8. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I bet nothing develops over this. It is just a news article, can any of this be confirmed as accurate? Notice they say:
    But they do not mention any names, this is just a publicity artical. I would not pay it any mind.

9. ABC

ABC Active Member

The few movies and shows filmed in Canada are the property of American studios and corporations, once the filming is done every thing is finished off and put together in American studios (Hollywood baby), U.S actors and employees when in Canada have their monies deposited in their accounts, it never leaves the USA.

I am not sure what Canada controls here in all of this and what is being pirated.

I believe this is bullsh.. and another attempt by the industry to blame and discredit anyone who may be taking studio and guild business out of Hollywood, California and the USA. Next they will also be blaming Fidel and Cuba.

I guess the movie industry's next step is to start claiming and campaigning that Canada has weapons of mass destruction and should be invaded to stop the Canadian pirates before they deploy all their weapons and arsenals against the U.S and the movie indstry.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  10. sleepburner

sleepburner New Member

The U.S. is just Empire building, but we have to be careful cause empires do FALL.
    I agree with ABC, we will next look for WMD and then invade.

I would not really worry or give credit on this report, as SLYFOX 1 mentions that its a lot of talk with no "real" names being mentioned, just like mainstream news now not mentioning real government people who give reports about Iran and its supply of arms to Iraqi insurgents. Just gathering up steam to invade Iran.

Just a lot of talk and they hope somebody is listening, and I am sure that no Hollywood studio is canceling their movie making in Canada because of this article.

11. Webslinger

The threat is they will stop paying money to rent spots in Canada to shoot films; they will boycott the International Film Festival in Toronto; etc.

In my opinion, they are using pirating as an excuse to try to put pressure on the Canadian government to inflict the same kind of DRM laws on Canadians that also exist in the U.S.. I think it should be noted that while it's not illegal to take a camcorder into a theater in Canada, the establishment will kick people using it to film movies out of the venue (if they are noticed).