• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Two Questions About Verbatim DVD -R DL & DVD-R Discs

J-Mac

Hopefully two quick questions:

1. I saw a post recently where Webslinger said that the DVD-R DL has a fixed/restricted layer break position and is therefore useless.

Is there any problem with the Verbatim DVD-R discs (Not DL)? I ask because though I usually use only Verbatim Datalife Plus DVD+R, I mistakenly purchased a stack of 50 DVD-R from Newegg -- I should have known better but I must not have been paying as much attention as I should.

BTW, I use Verbatim Datalife DVD+R DL and CloneCD for backing up my movies; the non DL discs are for mostly just for data/program backups on my computer.

2. At Newegg there have been a lot of bad reviews lately on the Verbatim DVD blank media product pages because there seems to be a rash of either bad media or people who don't know how to burn properly. But the primary cause stated by the reviewers is that they are receiving Verbatim media that was manufactured in Japan instead of Singapore, and they claim it is failing often.

I know that the Verbatim Datalife Plus DVD+R DL media that I use and that is often recommended here is made in Singapore. All that I have purchased say Made in Singapore. Has anyone here heard or read anything about Verbatim media manufacturing moving from Singapore to Japan, or about a recent high failure rate with them?

Fortunately I still have some of the Singapore media so I haven't purchased any recently.

Thanks!

Jim

Is there any problem with the Verbatim DVD-R discs (Not DL)?

No

But the primary cause stated by the reviewers is that they are receiving Verbatim media that was manufactured in Japan instead of Singapore, and they claim it is failing often.

That's odd. In the past when Verbatim was made in Japan--it was made by Taiyo Yuden (which is a good thing).

Do these people know what they're talking about?

But the primary cause stated by the reviewers is that they are receiving Verbatim media that was manufactured in Japan instead of Singapore, and they claim it is failing often.

Also . . . Verbatim + R DL isn't made in Japan at all. And as far as I know, Newegg doesn't sell any Verbatim that's made in Japan.

So, what product are you talking about?

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my post, I don't know if it is bad media or people who know nothing. Can be hard to tell at times, but some of the folks have purchased it before and have always given the discs high ratings in the past.

Here's the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130008&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052809&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052809-_-CDDVDRRWMedia-_-L2A-_-17130008

Take a look and see what you think is up there. The discs don't say Datalife, so I believe - especially based on the low price - that they are a Verbatim value product.

Jim

I just read through a lot of them again and discovered that they weren't made in Japan, though one reveiwer claimed he thought they were. The ones with the high failure rate were made in India. Newegg filters out mention of the country names but some reviewers posted the country as Indi-a or similar intentional misspellings. I had seen the one with Japan mentioned and made a bad conclusion.

If you set the filter to read all the 1, 2, and 3 star reviews you'll see the reviews I'm talking about.

Jim

I just read through a lot of them again and discovered that they weren't made in Japan, though one reveiwer claimed he thought they were. The ones with the high failure rate were made in India.

Yeah, those are made by Moser Baer. In theory, they are supposed to have the same failure rate as the ones made in Singapore, but I know people whose companies rely on +R DL blank media--and the theory simply isn't true. The ones that were made in Singapore were a little more consistent in quality.

Unfortunately, Verbatim +R DL is no longer (as far as I'm aware) being produced in Singapore, so if you can find ones made in Singapore, consider yourself lucky and snatch them up.

Last edited:
Yeah, those are made by Moser Baer. In theory, they are supposed to have the same failure rate as the ones made in Singapore, but I know people whose companies rely on +R DL blank media--and the theory simply isn't true. The ones that were made in Singapore were a little more consistent in quality.

Unfortunately, Verbatim +R DL is no longer (as far as I'm aware) being produced in Singapore, so if you can ones made in Singapore, consider yourself lucky and snatch them up.

I didn't realize that as the last ones I purchased were from Singapore. I started using those based on your recommendation, and I have been well rewarded.

Are you still using Verbatim Datalife? If not, what is your latest recommended +R DL mdia?

Thank you.

Jim

Are you still using Verbatim Datalife?

It's not the "datalife" that's important. It's the word, "plus". Datalife Plus is considered to be Verbatim's premium line.

There is no better +R DL blank media that's widely available that I'm aware of, even if it's made in India.

MAM+R DL 8x is decent though.

Last edited:
So should we stick with Verbatim +DL regardless if it's made in India or not?

So should we stick with Verbatim +DL regardless if it's made in India or not?

Pretty much, yeah

But if the ones from India are causing you lots of problems, then try MAM-A +R DL 8x.

Thanks Webslinger. Much appreciated.

Jim

Back