• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Two LibreDrives at the same time

Offspring

I have two LibreDrive compatible drives hooked up to my system, and I've been wondering how to properly get usage out of the MakeMKV + AnyDVD HD functionality. Do I need to run 2 copies of MakeMKV, set to each of the drives, to get the optimal reading speeds or is it only successful when there's one drive running?

You only have to have MakeMKV installed. AnyDVD will call it by itself if needed and you can then copy two or more discs at the same time. But I recommend to wait for the first disc to finish scanning, or to wait until the disc spun up again if you clicked on copy before you close the tray of the second drive. Otherwise you might lock up AnyDVD if you already start the second copy or scan while it is still taking care of Disc 1.
I had it some years ago on my laptop, since then I always wait until it is done and the copy is running before I insert the next disc. The only problem you might have is if you are on HDD or copy to a network device. If the storage you are copying to is too slow, then it might slow down the copy of the discs.

Oh, I thought I needed to run the software, not just have it installed. That makes it a lot easier. I usually pop both discs in at once, and let AnyDVD HD do its thing, then start to copy at the same time. I'm copying to an SSD, so the write speeds aren't a concern, it's just the read speeds from the discs/drives but that's managable.

Thanks for the info.

I usually pop both discs in at once, and let AnyDVD HD do its thing, then start to copy at the same time. I'm copying to an SSD, so the write speeds aren't a concern, it's just the read speeds from the discs/drives but that's managable.
Maybe it was my laptop or something, but I once locked it up when I already did the next thing. Since I wait, I never had it happen again.

For what it's worth, I regularly copy my purchased large box sets, including UHD + Blu-ray sets, with an external tower containing five UHD friendly drives. Quite often I'm ripping 4 discs while popping out one that's finished and loading a new disc to scan and then start it ripping. I have once done this for a couple of hours in a row when a bonanza of multi-movie multi-disc UHD/Blu-ray box sets arrived and I had over 30 discs to rip!

Your situation may be different than mine, so maybe DeepSpace's advice is best for you. But I've never seen that behaviour before.

Cheers,

--michael

Quite often I'm ripping 4 discs while popping out one that's finished and loading a new disc to scan and then start it ripping.
That won't give you the lock. Nothing will happen when you scan or change one disc when the copy of some others is still running. It was long ago, so I might be a bit off. But I think this happend: Inserting and scanning disc one. Then taking my time to insert disc two, so disc one stopped spinning. Then I clicked on copy when Disc 2 was in process of getting scanned, but AnyDVD had to wait for Disc 1 to spin up. And that somehow locked it up as there where two things at the same time.

As I said, long ago and I never tried to get the issue by purpose. So I might be wrong with my description. But I think you should get what I try to say.

The max drives I ever tested was 5 or 6 UHD drives at the same time.
There's a topic somewhere, couldn't find it, where I mentioned it.

The only issue I encountered that time was, that all discs have to be recognised first before you start copy them to your machine.
When you copy one and place a second one in another drive it didn't work with the second drive until the first disc completed.

The only issue I encountered that time was, that all discs have to be recognised first before you start copy them to your machine.
When you copy one and place a second one in another drive it didn't work with the second drive until the first disc completed.
Ah yes I remember reading it. True, I am only talking about ordinary BDs and DVDs. I never tried to copy two UHDs or two BDs with Bus encryption at the same time. Will have to take a look as soon as I can use two drives again (currently I only have the Pioneer and used the BU40N with the enclosure of the old BD drive I mentioned in my thread, and the Asus is still broken since DOSflash does not work because of Driver signature enforcement. So I either have to wait until I put the BU40N into my laptop (want to replace the DVD drive) or am at the place where the second Pioneer Drive is).

Back