• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Trying to determine if bad drive or weird copy protect issue

kdx7214

I have an LG WH16NS40 BD-RE drive that I have updated to newest firmware v1.02. Out of something like a 700 disc collection, around 20 discs aren't recognized at all. When I insert the disc, the drive spins, the LED flashes, and windows never sees as disc. I've done this both with AnyDVD and without with the same results. Occasionally I can remove/reinsert between 5-10 times and it will work (only on a few though).

On all of the other discs it works perfectly every time.

A few of the titles the are having problems are just weird. For instance I have the 4-disc Firefly set. Discs 1,2,and 4 work just fine. Disc 3 won't read on this drive at all - but if I put it in the drive in another machine it works okay (older HD-DVD/Bluray combo drive).

I've looked at the production companies (or at least what is listed on the jacket) and they tend to vary. Any thoughts on how to approach debugging this? I will try to get a log from AnyDVD of one after it works (on the next one I hit) and post that as well.

Got a log file

Hope this helps...

Edit: This is from the other drive (not the flaky one). I temporarily installed AnyDVD, got the log, and removed it again.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.6.1.0_Info_E_THE_NINTH_GATE.ziplog
    143.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You didn't mention if these were back-up or original discs but from the fact that you mentioned checking the jackets, it sounds like they are original discs. Copies will tax your player more than originals. It could be that your LG drive is experiencing marginal performance in reading discs and that some in your mix are just hard enough to read that the LG fails. Nothing to do with AnyDVD, I would say.

I think you pretty much debugged it by trying the titles in another drive where they played ok. That points to the LG player as a strong suspect. Was it doing this before you updated the firmware?

Usually, the lasers in players lose power as they age and the first way that shows up is on discs which may have slightly lower reflectivity and prove unplayable. Not much you can do in that case except replace the player (you might check with the manufacture if that's possible and see if they have any suggestions).

Also, be sure your discs are clean and free of any surface contamination as this could be a source of your problems with specific discs.

Back