• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

True HD output and Power DVD

If PowerDVD 8 doesn't support HDD playback, I won't be going near it...:(

Hi,
What is happening when I have optical out of my sound card to my Yamaha reciever and little bits of sound go missing every few minutes during playback of BD movie using PDVD?

Is this one of the problems that could be solved using analog out?

Hi,
What is happening when I have optical out of my sound card to my Yamaha reciever and little bits of sound go missing every few minutes during playback of BD movie using PDVD?

Is this one of the problems that could be solved using analog out?

Sorry but you have to be a bit more specific. Is the missing sounds regular, or irregular (i.e consistently every 2 mins for example or are they random)? Whenever the audio gaps out, does it affect the video (when itcomes back is it still in sync)?

What settings ido you have Powerdvd at and what format of audio are you trying to play?

If you have a dvd player, have you tried hooking it up to your receiver via the optical cord? If the problem is replicated than it is likely your receiver.If not, try borrowing a pair of computer speakers and hooking them up to the analog out on your sound card. If the audio still doesn t work, it is not likely your hardware, but a software problem.

The audio gaps are random. Sometimes it starts up right away and other times it's a few minutes into the movie. Video is not affected.

I do not get them when I play a DVD or DVD files using Media Center. I do get them when I use PowerDVD 3319a to play a BluRay disc or BluRay files.

In PowerDVD cofiguration/Audio I select SPDIF to get this problem. If I select 6 speakers I get stereo or sound on my front two speakers. My Realtek driver has auto setup for Optical digital out.

I don't have a BluRay set top player so I cannot check to see if it has the same problem. I have a DVD player with HDMI out and Directv HD DVR and neither of them have this problem. My soundcard is built into the motherboard and is connected to the Yamaha HTR-5860 receiver via an optical cable. My ABit motherboard has HDMI out and an Intel E6600 Processor and 2mgs of memory and ATI video card.

The audio format that this happens in is DD or DTS.

I will check on analog out but later when I get some cable adapters as my reciever does have analog in.

Last edited:
From everything that you say, it would certainly seem to be an issue with Powerdvd and I recommend you contact them. Since there is no noticeable defect in the video, and your computer specs seem pretty good, its obviously not an overload.

I would try playing a regular dvd with powerdvd, and if that doesn t give you issues than it would seem like powerdvd has an issue outputting via s/pdif solely with blu-rays. I assume you're still usinf 3319a so you can play back from the HDD, and my best guess would be that cyberlink will tell you to upgrade to 3513, which won t enable you to play fromm the HDD. What you could do is do the upgrade and test to see if it fixes it, if it does then you have the dilemmma of whether to have HDD playback or 5.1 audio. If it doesn t fix it then do a clean uninstall and reinstall 3319a.

Thats about all I can suggest since I use an analog or a coaxial setup, but I m sure Jong or others can give you some help.

There is one thing I forgot to mention. I did have and OEM version of PowerDVD that gave me the same problem. I understand that OEM versions are stereo. I removed it and upgraded it to full version. Before that I did contact Cyberlink and they said that my problem was because it was the OEM version. Could the problem be that I didn't uninstall the OEM version all the way and it is causing interferance?

It shouldn t, but if you have nothing better to do than go ahead. Unless you re using the frankenstein method (mixing 2 version sof Powerdvd) than this shouldn t be a factor.

The problem is that the OEM PDVD came in a suite and when I deleted PowerDVD I can't delete the other Cyberlink programs that came with it.

There is one thing I forgot to mention. I did have and OEM version of PowerDVD that gave me the same problem. I understand that OEM versions are stereo. I removed it and upgraded it to full version. Before that I did contact Cyberlink and they said that my problem was because it was the OEM version. Could the problem be that I didn't uninstall the OEM version all the way and it is causing interferance?
These are the 'clean' uninstall instructions I got from Cyberlink recently. I guess they might help.

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

We understand your concern related with PowerDVD.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

We request you to follow the steps given below to remove the PowerDVD software then reinstall:

For Windows XP.

1. Restart the computer.

2. Install Microsoft cleanup tool and clean PowerDVD installation information

Please refer the following link to download the specific utility from the Microsoft to remove the installed software properly.

msicuu2.exe

3. Remove Power DVD folder and clean up PowerDVD Registry

i. Remove PowerDVD install folder and clean the PowerDVD registry

a) Rename "PowerDVD" Folder to "PowerDVD-old"

The original PowerDVD Folder Path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD

b) Delete the following folder:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}

Please note that this directory is a hidden directory. So, first select 'Show hidden files and folder' option from 'Folder option' and then delete that folder.

For that follow the steps:-

Open 'Control Panel' --> open 'Folder Options' --> click 'View' tab --> select 'Show hidden files and folder' --> click 'OK'.

Now delete the following folder:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{6811xxx-xxx}

Also delete the file 'IsProBE.tlb' from folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\

c) Run “regedit” by following steps Start --> Run (keyin ""regedit"") Hit “Ok”.

(1) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CyberLink\PowerDVD

(2) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}

(3) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information\{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}

(4) Remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}

d) Remove PowerDVD program ICON

(1) Program ICON: Delete C:\Document and settings\all user (or user login name)\desktop\PowerDVD

(2) PowerDVD program folder under “ALL Program”

Delete C:\Document and settings\all user (or user login name)\start menu\programs\PowerDVD

4. Reboot PC again

5. Delete PowerDVD folder
(We changed the original PowerDVD folder name at step 3 and 1.)

Delete C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD-old

6. Install New Version of PowerDVD

This is very good information but what does this mean?

3. Remove Power DVD folder and clean up PowerDVD Registry

Thank you for this info Jong!

That is just the title of that step in the process.

Details on how to do this step are below.

Wydo, you may have a problem with heat. Check your GPU, CPU, and other temperatures while playing a moving. If all is below 50 degrees celcius, you are ok. Try opening your case and blowing a fan at it...if that fixes the problem, then its heat.

bachuka, I have worried about just that. I wish I knew what the temps are when playing a movie.

I did hook up to analog and I don't get any problems with sound. In fact the sound is a little better sounding. I just wish I had better cables and Y adapters to use.

So if I get no problems with the sound in analog and I still do with optical out what does that mean?

Well, some thoughts...

- For anyone stuck with analog outs but wanting a single cable, Creative still offers their external DTS-610 box for little money. It takes analog inputs (6 channels) and creates a DTS stream from those. It will also accept a digital input and let you switch between outputting the DTS stream or whatever signal is present on the digital input, allowing you to hook up your pc's SPDIF port and its analog ports to this one device and switching between them. Its digital inputs and outputs are both optical and coaxial, meaning you can use it as an optical<>coaxial converter as well.

- Actually, come to think of it, there may already exist a solution to get lossless multi-channel digital output from a PC. However, it would be in the form of 3 stereo SPDIF signals (one for L/R, one for LS/RS and one for CTR/SUB) and I know of no amplifiers that have three SPDIF inputs for this purpose. The signal I'm referring to is the digital output of the good old original SB Live! card. It has a connection for the DTT-2500 digital speakers. That connection is basically a three-signal minijack plug (the type of plug with three 'rings') and it outputs the PCM streams for all six analogue channels in the form of three stereo SPDIF signals. Anyone care to check? Easy to do with a camcorder cable, they use these 3 channel minijack plugs as well for audio L/R and composite video.

- The problem with the multichannel audio cutting out every number of seconds may be a latency problem. Most HD audio chips are on the PCI bus, try setting the PCI latency (in your motherboard BIOS) to something like 32 clocks. Most modern BIOS'es set it at 64 nowadays, but that may be too long for your audio buffers. It solved my problems with the Creative Audigy 4.

- The other cause may be an overload of your coaxial digital input on the Yamaha amplifier if you're not using proper 75 ohm cabling for your digital port. That is obviously not the case here as you're using optical.

bachuka, I have worried about just that. I wish I knew what the temps are when playing a movie.

I did hook up to analog and I don't get any problems with sound. In fact the sound is a little better sounding. I just wish I had better cables and Y adapters to use.

So if I get no problems with the sound in analog and I still do with optical out what does that mean?

I'm not sure about analog vs optical when it comes to heat....if it still happens try the fan trick.

And about HDMI

You guys are aware that Auzentech have announced an HDMI daughtercard for their soundcards? This will allow you to input an HDMI video signal, have multichannel audio added to the signal and output it again as HDMI for processing by your receiver. This should work with the standard Power DVD setting of '6 channels' as the audiocard simply takes the internal PCM streams and outputs them on HDMI instead of going through the DACs.

Nice solution, as redirecting the PCM streams for the analog outs will make it work with game audio, WMV-HD, mutlichannel AAC and all other stuff as well. Paired with Auzentechs X-Fi implementation it may even support the EAX environmental stuff in games.

They did say it would support output of the actual compressed streams (TrueHD, DTS MA), but that will probably require software support as there is currently no software that passes the compressed streams straight to the audiocard.

Actually I had missed this and it sounds interesting. Thank you.

Hopefully, by it's planned release date (May?) Cyberlink's plans for PowerDVD8 will be clearer and we will know if this is needed or if they can support the HDMI audio on the latest ATI cards.

Depending on your video card you may be able to use Speedfan. On my system this shows me the temp of each cpu core, my video card, my two hdds and my motherboard temp. You can overlay this on top of your movie if you are just testing, but you can also set it to email you if thresholds of your choosing are reached on any of those sensors.

I ripped one of my DVDs again just to watched the temps and it went from 38c to 39c. Would playing a DVD cause more processing than ripping or raise the heat any more?

When I stop PDVD and the computer is not putting out and sound I hear this funny little whine coming out of my speakers. This is in analog out.

Last edited:
Back