Trouble Copying DVD's

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by arcticsnowman, Jan 8, 2008.

1. arcticsnowman

arcticsnowman New Member

I can not get DVD Shrink 3.2 to copy my E.R. disk. I get this message when i try: DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file "E:\" Copy Protection Error - The read failed because the sector is encrypted.

If I try with Nero Recode 3, it slowly analyzes the disk and finally accepts it, but says the main part can't be compressed.

BTW, AnyDVD is running in the background of course.

Hopefully you can help me get this figured out. Thanks, Rob

2. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

rip using anydvd's ripper then process through dvd shrink and see how that goes.

3. arcticsnowman

arcticsnowman New Member

I just tried that and somewhere about half way I get this message: FileIO 3 VTS_01_4.VOB 586940416 26624

Ripper was set to deep scan mode.

4. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

1. a)Click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
    b) Navigate to "Program Settings".
    c) Click "enable logging".
    d) Click "ok".
    e) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader.
    f) Go to your My Documents folder
    g) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip"
    h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like [​IMG]
    i) if you don't see that icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
    j) a small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
    k) click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
    l) click "upload"

2. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

5. arcticsnowman

arcticsnowman New Member

Ok, I have attached the log file for the disk. Also, I ran the CD-DVD speed and of course it has bad spots. I'd bet most disks do.

Attached Files:

6. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

This Arcsoft filter is known to cause conflicts with Slysoft software. Arcsoft Photo impressions (or anything that installs afc.sys) . . .

i) Create a backup of your registry
    ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
    (it's also an excellent program imo)
    iii)Go to "Tools"-->"Filter Drive Load Order"
    iv) Select "Afc"; select "remove selected filter". Then click "ok", and reboot.
    Keep in mind whatever program(s) installed those filters will no longer function properly

2. There appears to be no special protection on this disc. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

3. If you get read errors from step 2 after removing the filter, you have a bad original disc that needs to be exchanged or your drive is dying. There's no protection on the original disc at all other than CSS. So this isn't an Anydvd issue.