• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

transcoders and blank media

LEGIN27

I just wanna give some of the newbies or novices (no pun) a little advice, and take it from someone who loves NERO Recode 2. CloneDVD has superior encoding capability as well as editing capability by way of title set removal when needed, NERO Recode2 does not. You may notice on some DVD titles that list:Found & removed structural copy protection! (Like movies distributed by SONY) But do not have other elements of agressive encryption seem to give NERO Recode2 a problem causiing skipping or looping frames. It's because NERO is not design to correct these types of deliberate encoding errors. Disc with these types of encryption and worse are best decrypted with CloneDVD or like software.:agree:

When I took up this hobby a few years ago I initially used most if not all freebie software found about the internet. For a long time I refused to purchase a key for either of Slysoft & Elbys popular AnyDVD & CloneDVD softwares, figuring I had angles and could use other free software. I gave in to the consistent R&D that goes into Slysoft/Elby products. Yes, I will try others and combined them if needed but I find AnyDVD & CloneDVD to be the most reliable.:clap:

I have always believed in premo media SONY & VERBATIM period. I know those reasonably priced TDK, MEMOREX, and HP DVD media spindles appear attractive, but it's trash media. I've said this before VERBATIM & SONY are the only store bought DVD +R & -R blank media sold retail that make a promise or archival quality. Trash media does not, they fool you with name brands but are no frill alternatives to good blank DVD media. So if you believe SONY sells inferior DVD media (made in TAIWAN)? At least by way of the label ,SONY maintains a promise of quality no matter how anyone feels about where the media is made and that means SONY and VERBATIM are accountable along with reliable.:agree:

I say all of this to state that for me and for many other serious DVD movie collecting enthusiast the best in software and DVD blank media is crucial.
The added wear to my optical drives and wasted time in backing up movies to trash media that deteriorates sitting still on a spindle or stored away in case, is ridiculous...why? Save yourselves the aggravation and humility. Use quality blank media know how your software works and it's limitations and enjoy the end result...back ups that play right away today, tomorrow, and years later.:rock:

Last edited:
CloneDVD is a transcoder not an encoder. And I wouldn't call it superior. I don't want to knock it off its high horse but it would be false advertisement if you were to say that.

And remember, AnyDVD does the copy-protection removal, not CloneDVD. Also, I have never seen anybody recommend Sony media. Where are you getting this information from? This is probably best left to another thread.

Moderator?

Last edited:
CloneDVD has superior encoding capability

Actually it doesn't. As linx05 has noted, Clonedvd uses a transcoder as does Nero Recode. Recode provides better picture quality provided advanced analysis is used. Clonedvd does handle corrupted disc structures better than Recode does, transcodes faster than Recode (at the expense of picture quality), and can retain main menus over split discs.

Clonedvd does not use an encoder nor does Nero Recode.

as well as editing capability by way of title set removal when needed, NERO Recode2 does not.

Recode does allow you to remove different titles.

I have always believed in premo media SONY & VERBATIM period.

Sony is fairly average (unless they are made by TY). Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are what should be used. And depending on the type, I wouldn't classify the average Verbatim nor the average TY to be truly "archival quality". These are Verbatim's archival quality dvd-rs: click http://www.verbatim.com/products/de...22&cat_id=6A131D3A-1143-3415-5F8FECFF606CF692
(Verbatim Ultralife Gold)
Note the gold reflective layer

I almost guarantee no one here is using that stuff. Maxell Broadcast Quality is pretty close to being archival quality as well, but that stuff is very expensive.

And I fail to see what anything you've written here has anything to do with crc read errors that the original poster is experiencing. The problem he is having has nothing to do with burning.

Last edited:
And remember, AnyDVD does the copy-protection removal, not CloneDVD.

Well, for on the fly backups of discs containing structural protection, I feel that Clonedvd does handle part of the structural protection. This is why Anydvd and Shrink can't backup certain discs without Anydvd ripper.

Moderator?

Yeah, this conversation has nothing to do with the original thread LEGIN27 posted in. I will move it shortly, once I figure out where to move a Recode/Clonedvd and blank media discussion.

Thanks for the move mate.

As a reply to your "Clonedvd does handle part of the structural protection" comment. I had my fingers on the keys, about to type "while it does not remove copy-protection, it helps clean up the mess it left behind very well".

Back