• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Toy Story 1 and 2

Growver

I've been trying to back up Toy Story 1 and 2, using AnyDVD (current version, on trial) with CloneDVD2, after the "old" Slyfox version didn't work. In neither case can AnyDVD deal with the disk, just repeatedly cycles through the trying and then gives the typical error message about faulty or dirty disk or wrong region. I DID try a competing product which did fine for the one trial I was allowed.

Same computer, same DVD drives (I have two different ones), different outcome. The competing product seems superior. I'd prefer to stay with AnyDVD and CloneDVD, as I'm accustomed to them.

Anything that can be done about this?

I should point out that more recent Disney titles (e.g. 2016 Jungle Book) work just fine.

R.

It's not superior it just skips the bad spots like a player does. I myself am glad that AnyDVDHD doesn't do that. If you would post the logfiles it could be verified.

Last edited:
I tried again -- repeatedly accesses the disk (the "anydvd is scanning the disk" message emerges repeatedly. Eventually it gets up and I get the message saying it's a faulty disk or to change dvd region. As noted, another application worked when I had the same problem with the original Toy Story.

Log file attached.

r.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.0.4.0_Info_D_TOY_STORY_2.ziplog
    798.2 KB · Views: 15
Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD HD 8.0.4.0, BDPHash.bin 16-05-19)
ASUS BW-12B1STA 1.00 E101701K9F22M82559
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

That's your primary problem right there, you need to set your drive hardware region. EXIT anydvd COMPLETELY, the tray icon may NOT be running. Then go into device manager and set your drive hardware region.

There are 2 types of read errors that are likely happening because of it. If setting the region doesn't help, NEW logfile.

Failure to properly decrypt due to an unset drive region is very common, especially with disney titles. Just for the record, this is NOT a protection issue. Those titles are way too old for that.

Okay, just for my information -- what is the implication of setting the drive region? What will happen when/if I try to use a DVD from a different region? As I do, from time to time, including ripping from PAL disks (I'm in NTSC-land).

Sorry, one more query -- if the DVD region is the problem, why does a different application work fine?

And that worked, thanks for the help. But the question still stands -- what are implications? I have 4 changes left. I changed the BD drive, not the standard DVD, so presumably I can continue to use this one for ripping DVDs with region restrictions. As I recall Blu-ray disks don't have region restrictions, but I might be wrong about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not double post, use the edit link below your reply instead. Posts merged.

Css decryption the right way relies on a correctly assigned region. An unset region is for anydvd the same as a wrong region assigned and forces anydvd to use a bruteforce guessing method that may not anyways work, as your encountering. PAL/NTSC is a video standard and has no impact on a protection like css. If you're doing frequent ripping off foreign region zones, the best option is an extra drive and assigning that foreign region to it. A different dvd region CAN cause issues, it may or may not.

Why that monkey works is irrelevant 2 different apps with their own approach. The point is, if your want to do it the right way the drive region needs to be set. No if, and/or but's. No region, it's only a matter of time until the css decryption failure will pop up. Not if it will pop up, but WHEN it will pop up.

What the implications are, i just told you. As to blu-rays, they DO have a region assigned. But blu-ray regions are stored at the DISC level unlike to DVD's where the DRIVE region matters.

Excellent, problem solved and you saved money ;-) double win. :-D

Back