• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Totalmedia Theatre 3.0.1.161 Update

Adbear

There's a new download
Total media Theatre 3.0.1.161 Update
It claims all it does is stop the 'update' message

Strange, when I told mine to update it last week it found no updates from any of my machines, yet today it found an update

Yup. Sorry, I should have posted about this back when it was released. I've been super busy lately and have been slacking off. A new patch to add bitstreaming support to the ATI 5xxx and Clarkdale chipets will be coming soon. That patch will ROCK!

MKV files TMT 3

Does TMT 3 play MKV files or not ? I checked it in file associations yet when
I tried to play one get ' unsupported file format' message.:(

That's because they removed support for it temporarily. It'll be back in the next version.

Does it play ISOs with menus and subtitles? I'm building an HTPC and need something to play movies (like Apocalypto and District 9) before SlyPlayer comes out.

Oh yea, definitely. It does more than that. MKV's will be back in the next version. It plays m2ts files now so you can just remux one if you want. It also plays from folders, so you could easily take your MKV's, remux it to a blu-ray folder structure, and you'd be good to go.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the WDTV Live, but it has a lot of problems, and it won't do menus and subtitles on ISOs, at least not yet. So I'm hoping the HTPC will solve my problems.

You say the ATI 5xxx cards will rock with the coming update. Are there special internal connections to get the video card to output the sound or does it come off the mother board?

Oh no no. It does audio through the HDMI connection on the ATI card itself. No other audio source needed. In fact, if you have mobo audio, it'd be wise to disable it and just use the ATI's. This will give you bitstreaming of HD audio to your receiver in the upcoming version. That only works from a full disc structure though...not files. Nonetheless, it's very simple to take mkv's and turn them into a BD folder structure using tsMuxer. No need to create an ISO or any of that. Of course if you want the menus and all that, just create a full ISO from the disc using AnyDVD HD and you're good to go, as well. So, loads of options. But anyway, yea, ATI audio is really quite good coming off the 5xxx cards.

Hey, thanks, SamuriHL. That helps me make a decision on which video card to get for the HTPC. I just never had a video card that did sound before.:)

No problem. The 4xxx cards did full 7.1 LPCM audio. The 5xxx cards added a PAP (protected audio path) that allows them to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD MA with no problem. It makes these cards PERFECT for HTPC.

Which card would you recommend? I just use my HTPC for movies, no gaming so I don't need the most powerful thing out there. I currently have the 9800gt.

That's a tough question. I'd recommend something in the 56xx or 57xx series for HTPC. Cooling is the real key. I'm not convinced the passive cooling systems are the way to go. The warm air has to go somewhere. Passive cooling relies on your case to push the air out. I'm not sure what size your HTPC case is, but, a 56xx card should be plenty powerful for what you're doing and be reasonably easy to cool.

I have a normal size Silverstone case with a ton of fans. As long as my 4 cores are not burning away it stays pretty cool.

Ah, yea, you're good. So you could do a full size 5770 for active cooling then. Nice.

Thanks for your help Samurhi. Sorry if I am hijacking the thread but I assume those interested in bit-streaming will be interested in getting the right card. The difference of 5670 and the 5770 for about $60 bucks is a faster core but what else would I get if I am not gamer? Would I see a difference in quality of picture or would I be able to encode video faster?

Oh and any idea on the next update to TMT?

Adbear, if you want me to split this stuff out just let me know and I'll make a new topic.

For straight HTPC duties the 56xx cards are more than adequate. The 54xx cards are out now but there's some initial reports that they aren't perfect. For an HTPC, heat becomes the real issue. Personally I'm of the opinion that if you can fit it, a nice active full length cooling solution as found on the 5770 is worth it as it pipes the heat out of the case and when doing HTPC functions is pretty damn quiet. I haven't seen the 56xx cooling solutions but I have to believe that most of them are single slot fan cooled. That should be ok if you've got enough airflow in your case. In terms of video quality, there is no difference at all for HTPC use. Video ENcoding is a different story. Do you use a video encoder that can take advantage of Stream? Then the faster core would make a difference if you're encoding video. Otherwise, the faster speed is pointless and will never get utilized.

To me the heat issue in a typical HTPC case is really the big problem to be solved. Otherwise, for HTPC usage the cards are all equal...with the possible exception of the 54xx cards that don't seem to be able to apply all the effects at once. But if you're not doing any of the advance effects like de-noise filtering, vertical interlacing, etc, then maybe you don't care. At a minimum, for me, I'd go with a 56xx card. And personally I'd go with a 5770 for a dedicated HTPC just for the cooling.

Back