• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Total Recall Issues with audio playback

mulox

Anyone else have problems with audio playback of the latest version of Total Recall? I remember seeing this same exact issue a couple of years ago with Terminator 4 Salvation... basically the audio cuts out for 1 second every time it switches from one mts file to another. Quite annoying. I think I updated to a later release of AnyDVD HD and re-ripped to solve it, but don't recall how/why.

I am running 7.1.2.0 and using rip to ISO image function.

If you create a movie-only ISO with ClownBD, does this fix the problem?

the original bd shows the same problems in some hardware players.
my oppo doesn' like it, at least as bitstream output.pcm works better.
ps3 plays it without problems.
so i don't think it's a ripping problem.

It's not a ripping problem. The audio dropouts on this release are horrible and to me render the movie unwatchable. Original retail disk purchased from Amazon ripped to ANYDVD HD speedmenu ISO for playback on my Popcorn Hour A-210. The audio dropouts were maddening, so I stopped it and put the original disk in my old faithful Panasonic BD-30. The audio dropouts were still there, so I then remuxed the extended version to a single m2ts file with ToNMT for playback on the PCH A-210. The audio dropouts were still there as bad as ever. It's obvious to me that the TrueHD audio on this disk is defective. I'm returning mine to Amazon.

Unreal

WTF?? I played my disk on my HTPC (on desktop, not through receiver) and still heard the dropouts, so yea, not a ripping problem. Absolutely friggin ridiculous and totally unacceptable!! If I can't find a way to fix this I will be returning mine too.

Workaround

Had the same problem with Total Recall and A210 - my workaround was to disable HDMI-audio and using Optical instead. Sure - just DD-sound, but no dropouts.
Best regards, jack_d!

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm from the German Forum. I had the same Problem, you musst remove the HD Audio and then it runs without Dropouts! Try it!

This same complaint is showing up on Amazon comments starting the 21st of this month, before that no mention of the problem (that I could find).

Safe to say that it is an authoring problem with this version of the title and not an AnyDVD issue (since it happens even with the original in a stand alone player). Converting the True HD to AC3 audio seems to fix the problem.
Also, some of said that changing the bluray player's audio out option can fix the problem too, but you're still loosing the True HD DTS by doing that. So if you're backing up, might as well re-encode to AC3.

Hopefully, they will eventually fix the problem and exchange the disk for good ones. Interesting that this is a Sony title too.

Last edited:
i changed the audio output from bitstream to pcm via hdmi (oppo bdp 93).
no more dropouts with the original disc.so you don't loose the lossless sound.
might work with other players too.

i changed the audio output from bitstream to pcm via hdmi (oppo bdp 93).
no more dropouts with the original disc.so you don't loose the lossless sound.
might work with other players too.

Actually you do loose the 'TrueHD' audio when you do that because the player is re-encoding the audio.

There is something wrong with the original TrueHD audio streams. Probably something in the beginning of each stream file is causing a problem for the receiver's TrueHD decoder.

It seems to be 5.1 channels, anyway, so you don't loose any channels by converting to AC3 for backups. But I wouldn't advise backing up defective TrueHD tracks to a BD-R anyway.

I've heard that this disk will play on a PS3. Does the PS3 have TrueHD decoding? If it doesn't, that would explain why it works. Or it's possible that since this is a Sony Title, that Sony Hardware works anyway.

Last edited:
Actually you do loose the 'TrueHD' audio when you do that because the player is re-encoding the audio.
Nope. LPCM is the sound uncompressed with all the glory, bells & whistles.

I ended up using eac3to with the TMT Codecs and decoded the trueHD to mono wavs files. The log stated that there was overlapping problems, at different spots. A bunch of them actually, anyway I then re-encoded the wavs to DTSHD-MA with the DTSHD Encoder suite 2.60. I then re-muxed it and the h264 video file back to a m2ts and the audio problems are gone now. Of course I would not go through all this for something I payed good money for, I would return it, but in case someone does DL one after they return and they don't offer a fix, well this is what you can do if you have the programs. Or you can settle for AC3 but the DTSHD-MA sounds better.

Nope. LPCM is the sound uncompressed with all the glory, bells & whistles.

James, of course as always you are right, but that's not the same as delivering the original TrueHD audio to the receiver. There is some problem with the TrueHD that disappears after decompression by the player for some reason with this title. But you have to set the player to PCM just to play it.

But all I am saying is I wouldn't want that original TrueHD audio on a backup in my collection in that state:)

Besides that, if you explode TrueHD to LPCM you greatly inflate the size of the original audio. So I wouldn't want to back that up either.

But you are right regarding the original point. It's possible these TrueHD streams could be repaired too, but no doubt it's complicated and I doubt if it was intentional on Sony's part. i.e. They don't want their original disks to fail for any reason in a licensed stand alone player.

Last edited:
I ended up using eac3to with the TMT Codecs and decoded the trueHD to mono wavs files.

A much simpler solution is just to use BDRebuilder. Unclick everything under "Audio Encoding Options", set custom target size to something smaller than the original (24000MB to shrink to a BD-25), deselect unwanted language tracks and hit "backup". You should be able to do a full backup with menus and convert the audio to AC3. I can hardly tell the difference between quality AC3 and TrueHD, but that's just my opinion.

BTW, there is two playlists with the version I have. One of them has a trivia track. The straight movie backup seems to be playlist 800. There is no mention of the multiple playlists in the "disk.inf" file,
But if you do a full backup with menus, that doesn't matter.

Last edited:
BTW, the copy I have is a Region free copy from the USA and does not seem to have this audio drop problem at all so far that I can detect. Is this an isolated problem?

IE are there others who also have no problem with this title besides me? So far I have only played it on my PC with TMT3. But maybe would expect problems with my 7 channel standalone and receiver?

Last edited:
My copy that I bought at WalMart is region free, the correct playlist for BD Rebuilder is 0800,or the shorter of the two on the disc. The audio is fine with no dropouts for me. Total movie file when done with BD Rebuilder is only about 16.4 GB.

It seems to be 5.1 channels, anyway, so you don't loose any channels by converting to AC3 for backups. But I wouldn't advise backing up defective TrueHD tracks to a BD-R anyway
The Backup runs without Problems.

This sounds like an unusual batch problem and doesn't affect everyone's copy. If you have this problem, the best solution is to get an exchange. But if you don't want to bother with that, you can fix a backup by re-encoding to AC3 (according to several posts across several forums).
Or set your player's audio to PCM ouput just for this title.

If you're shrinking the full disk to 25GB with this title, it's not worth the sacrifice in video quality to keep the TrueHD Audio anyway.

Last edited:
My copy that I bought at WalMart is region free, the correct playlist for BD Rebuilder is 0800,or the shorter of the two on the disc. The audio is fine with no dropouts for me. Total movie file when done with BD Rebuilder is only about 16.4 GB.

Is that a full backup of the movie only with no further compression? IE all original audio too? Maybe a nice option for this one. And, if that's the case, a candidate for Slysoft speed menu after using ClownBDCopier to trim it and fill up the remaining BD25 space with relevant content.

Actually, this one is more complicated than most titles because the extras are convoluted with the movie playlist and not seperate videos.

Last edited:
So far all versions are effected.
Mu HMV steelbook UK, USA, Korean, Indian and German all suffer the audio dropout with TrueHD, yes the LPCM option works but should not be needed, demuxing the audio to AC3 640kbps is also an option that works but requires anyDVDHD to rip the film in the 1st place and then freeware like tsMuxer to demux the audio

Last edited:
Back