• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Toshiba HD-A3 for $129

Tigerdirect has a fairly horrible online reputation (especially with respect to honoring rebates).

True enough, but I noticed that this one is an instant rather than a mail in rebate. I've never gotten a mail in rebate from them, and tried several times.

Probably alot of stores going to be selling the hd-dvd players cheap now that they lost the war, just to get rid of them, same thing happened with betamax.

I don't think there is a war. With a couple of studio exceptions, most all movies are offered with the HD option. You can buy either in most all cases.

I don't think there is a war. With a couple of studio exceptions, most all movies are offered with the HD option. You can buy either in most all cases.

So, you can get Sony, Fox, and Disney releases on HD DVD? I'm confused by what you're trying to say here.

Well I said there were exceptions, if you feel that wins some kind of format war that's ok by me.

By "exceptions" you mean the 70% of the market that Blu-ray currently now has? Again, I'm confused by what you're trying to suggest here. There is not format war because a couple of titles are available on both formats? That makes no sense to me.

Sony, Fox, and Disney releases & now Paramont means the war will end soon. So as stated already get ready to see these players well below 100.00 USD as well.

I think you mean Warner, Charilie. :) Paramount is still HD DVD exclusive as of today.

Last edited:
By "exceptions" you mean the 70% of the market that Blu-ray currently now has? Again, I'm confused by what you're trying to suggest here. There is not format war because a couple of titles are available on both formats? That makes no sense to me.

No argument SamuriHL, and moreover I don't really care since I have both. 30% market share is huge though, you think HD will just die and go the way of the Beta VCR?

No argument SamuriHL, and moreover I don't really care since I have both. 30% market share is huge though, you think HD will just die and go the way of the Beta VCR?

At this point, I actually hope so. I was pulling for HD DVD for the past year to win, but, I worry about a bigger problem than whether Blu-ray or HD DVD wins...what if BOTH lose? What happens if neither format is adopted by consumers? There's a niche market for it now, but, if you fragment that market as we've been doing, is it sustainable? Consumers aren't going to want to deal with two competing formats. This has been evidenced by the majority of people sitting on the sidelines twiddling their thumbs while Blu-ray and HD DVD battle it out. I was once under the impression that cheap dual format players would solve the problem, but, the choice is much clearer now...let one of the formats simply "win" and kill off the other one. When 100% of the studios back one format, it'll get people off the sidelines, the studios will see there is money to be made in HD, and everyone wins. We'd be far likelier to get cheaper titles if mass adoption started to take place. Player prices don't concern me as much as movie prices. Players will continue to drop in price, but, movies have to be comparatively priced to DVD or people just aren't going to buy them on Blu-ray or HD DVD. Anyway, yea, I hope HD DVD dies at this point if only to save HD. I know that sounds stupid but if you think about it you'll understand what I'm saying.

P.S. I have both, as well, so this is not a case of me preferring Blu-ray over HD DVD. I just think it's now poised to be "the one".

for $179 the A30 will be an amazing upconverting dvd player even if hd-dvd dies so its a great deal...

At this point, I actually hope so. I was pulling for HD DVD for the past year to win, but, I worry about a bigger problem than whether Blu-ray or HD DVD wins...what if BOTH lose? What happens if neither format is adopted by consumers? There's a niche market for it now, but, if you fragment that market as we've been doing, is it sustainable? Consumers aren't going to want to deal with two competing formats. This has been evidenced by the majority of people sitting on the sidelines twiddling their thumbs while Blu-ray and HD DVD battle it out. I was once under the impression that cheap dual format players would solve the problem, but, the choice is much clearer now...let one of the formats simply "win" and kill off the other one. When 100% of the studios back one format, it'll get people off the sidelines, the studios will see there is money to be made in HD, and everyone wins. We'd be far likelier to get cheaper titles if mass adoption started to take place. Player prices don't concern me as much as movie prices. Players will continue to drop in price, but, movies have to be comparatively priced to DVD or people just aren't going to buy them on Blu-ray or HD DVD. Anyway, yea, I hope HD DVD dies at this point if only to save HD. I know that sounds stupid but if you think about it you'll understand what I'm saying.

P.S. I have both, as well, so this is not a case of me preferring Blu-ray over HD DVD. I just think it's now poised to be "the one".

Good post, and good logic. :bowdown:We'll see sooner or later.

So what your saying is I should buy a BR instead of an HD burner? or should I wait for a while longer and see what's going to happen?
Sounds to me like were going to need both, but I am sure that one or the other will succumb and start following the leader who ever that is. Does anyone know?

Last edited:
Back