• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Token System question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid that's not exactly true. Tell that to the copyright holders. Under the law you have a right to make a backup of what you own. However you're NOT allowed to circumvent the encryption on that content. AnyStream vs Anydvd is no different. If you buy a streaming title, you own it (but that's not how the providers see it) but you're not allowed to remove the streaming encryption to view it offline.

Most providers even want to get the law changed or something that you own a license to VIEW the title. You don't actually own the title.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm afraid that's not exactly true. Tell that to the copyright holders. Under the law you have a right to make a backup of what you own. However you're NOT allowed to circumvent the encryption on that content. AnyStream vs Anydvd is no different. If you buy a streaming title, you own it (but that's not how the providers see it) but you're not allowed to remove the streaming encryption to view it offline.

Most providers even want to get the law changed or something that you own a license to VIEW the title. You don't actually own the title.

Trust me there has to be a loophole because if there wasn't Playon would of been gone a long time ago, they're pretty mainstream.

Last edited:
It's not a loophole. PlayOn is a screen recorder, they don't decrypt anything

Yep that must be the case because trust me I've gone bonkers recording on there with no issues. The quality is way better with AnyStream but I know now to proceed with caution.

and again: this is no critic i only asked me why this is set globaly.
Since you understand why there's a limit at all, we can dispense with arguments about its merits overall.

As to why it's not a per-provider limit, I have two theories:

1. Simplicity. There's plenty of work for Prospere to do without having to write something new to solve something that won't be an issue for most users.

2. Privacy. Right now, there's just a single bucket with no indication of what you've downloaded or from whom. In order to implement per-provider limits, Redfox would inherently be tracking how many downloads you made from which service. They may not want that information, and you might not want them to have it either.

Since you understand why there's a limit at all, we can dispense with arguments about its merits overall.

As to why it's not a per-provider limit, I have two theories:

1. Simplicity. There's plenty of work for Prospere to do without having to write something new to solve something that won't be an issue for most users.

2. Privacy. Right now, there's just a single bucket with no indication of what you've downloaded or from whom. In order to implement per-provider limits, Redfox would inherently be tracking how many downloads you made from which service. They may not want that information, and you might not want them to have it either.
Redfox has many reasons for doing what they do. All we want is for the people who have invested money in AnyStream to be at ease that we are doing our best to provide the best service to our supporters. Enjoy the program.

This is essentially how it has always worked. You will never OWN a title, that remains with the copyright holder. The licensing specifically mentions that you only have a legal right to view the content and not duplicate, redistribute, broadcast, or publicly display the content. The agreement between the rightsholders and the content provider requires certain protections in order to have the right to distribute said content.

Even if you "purchase" a title on AP, you do not "own" the title and if Sony, for example, demanded that one of their titles be completely removed from access on AP, it wouldn't matter if you had "purchased" it; AP would be required by law to remove access to the title and you would lose your license to even view it since Sony retains all rights therein. This is the main reason I have never purchased a title on any platform ever.

I know this because its specifically my job.

This is essentially how it has always worked. You will never OWN a title, that remains with the copyright holder. The licensing specifically mentions that you only have a legal right to view the content and not duplicate, redistribute, broadcast, or publicly display the content. The agreement between the rightsholders and the content provider requires certain protections in order to have the right to distribute said content.

Even if you "purchase" a title on AP, you do not "own" the title and if Sony, for example, demanded that one of their titles be completely removed from access on AP, it wouldn't matter if you had "purchased" it; AP would be required by law to remove access to the title and you would lose your license to even view it since Sony retains all rights therein. This is the main reason I have never purchased a title on any platform ever.

I know this because its specifically my job.
Then we certainly hope your job never has a conflict with AnyStream. Please enjoy;)

Then we certainly hope your job never has a conflict with AnyStream. Please enjoy;)
I work in broadcast news which really only overlaps in the copyright aspect of things. Ive pondered this many times and I can find many analogous examples which lead me to believe that AS does nothing illegal. By viewing a title in a browser, you're essentially using the same mechanisms, and literally viewing a file is downloading and buffering a file locally on your own device. This would be no different really as long as you're not blatantly redistributing the content, nor accessing content that you don't have a right to view. Its splitting hairs, I know, but this is the legal, and technical, basis for my conclusions. Essentially AS is no different than DVR software.

I work in broadcast news which really only overlaps in the copyright aspect of things. Ive pondered this many times and I can find many analogous examples which lead me to believe that AS does nothing illegal. By viewing a title in a browser, you're essentially using the same mechanisms, and literally viewing a file is downloading and buffering a file locally on your own device. This would be no different really as long as you're not blatantly redistributing the content, nor accessing content that you don't have a right to view. Its splitting hairs, I know, but this is the legal, and technical, basis for my conclusions. Essentially AS is no different than DVR software.

This is how I view it and how I feel about it as well. Paying to have access to something is far different than just pulling down illegal torrents or something to that effect. And of course distribution is entirely not the right of anyone but the actual owner of the title itself.

Unfortunately however, those with the big cash often get to directly shape the law. Which is what drives a wedge between morality and lawfulness.

The odds of getting banned from your provider is very very low. I've downloaded 2 to 3 seasons on queue at a time on Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime and have been doing it for close to 5 years with zero problems.

Five years ago this 'problem' to providers wasn't as common place. Now there are two (as far as I know) major apps in the public to do such a thing. The providers will get wise as it becomes more and more adopted.

A 2 hour movie is not the same as a 20 minute TV episode and is not the same as a 4 minute cartoon. Treating each one as if they are all the same (a single download token) is just plain arbitrary bullshit. Maybe accumulating time instead of units would be more well received.

The quality of AS is worth the buy, so I bought it, but that doesn't mean I have to like the stupid download limit, but I do have to live with it.

A 2 hour movie is not the same as a 20 minute TV episode and is not the same as a 4 minute cartoon. Treating each one as if they are all the same (a single download token) is just plain arbitrary bullshit. Maybe accumulating time instead of units would be more well received.

The quality of AS is worth the buy, so I bought it, but that doesn't mean I have to like the stupid download limit, but I do have to live with it.
And Redfox does appreciate your support of the project.

Yes this is true. You cant say „the amount of tokens are more than enough“ for general, because when i load 2 or 3 seasons of a cartoon with many episodes, then the tokens are not more than enough. When it comes to download movies, then we can say the tokend are enough.

so this was also the reason i asked about token per provider. Because i bought the software and loaded some old Seasons from a streaming provider and then i wanted to load some movies i bought from AP (not free included in prime, i bought them) and got the message i have no tokens left. And yes technically it will be difficult to separate tokens by provider and at the same time not track the users that is clear to me. But another question about banning is: I have the Option to download movies to my device, so why should i got banned when i download them? The provider cant see if i decrypt the file localy or not. But yes for sure then come the ones who download too much and it will get suspicious. And the most of us cant imagine how much work it is to make such a great software and then it is clear that redfox want it to work ad long as possible.
So at the end its clear to me why redfox is „restricting“ the amount of downloads per day.

I have the Option to download movies to my device, so why should i got banned when i download them? The provider cant see if i decrypt the file localy or not.
This is the same thought I had, but they can see wich software you used to download it.
This is the reason for why you can get UHD/ maybe better quality using the Prime Video App or Microsoft Edge but not using another browser or AS. (I have no proof that you have better quality there, only from what others wrote in the forum about the quality question).

There are a lot of suggestions in this thread I agree with. But after doing some thinking on the token issue I came to this: Leave AS as is. I would rather have a product (with its current limits) that works for years, rather than going willie nillie, and possibly losing AS. I chose safe, rather than sorry.

There are a lot of suggestions in this thread I agree with. But after doing some thinking on the token issue I came to this: Leave AS as is. I would rather have a product (with its current limits) that works for years, rather than going willie nillie, and possibly losing AS. I chose safe, rather than sorry.
Yeah me too

Me too. 100 Limit with a new token added every 35 minutes works for me too.

I totally agree, the developers are doing incredible works here, I can live with 100 tokens + 1 every 35 min.

***The only argument I can understand is people who need multi languages. They have to dl files both time. If/once this option will be add, that’s gonna be hard to complain, I don’t think people needs more than 48 episodes/movies per day

I have to say ... what a bunch of whiny babies ... you knew when you bought the product that it had limits. Put your request on the suggestion list then stop whining. This is a great product and with the exception of a few a great forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back