Todd McFarlane's Spawn 10th anniversary backup issue

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by flat_earth7, Jun 28, 2017.

1. flat_earth7

flat_earth7 Member

This is a 4 disc set Todd McFarlane's Spawn 10th anniversary edition USA steelbook region 1 - disc 2 and 4 are fine, 1 and 3 are the problems.

I followed the steps in the sticky - using latest download/set anydvd to default and attempted to rip dvd to hard drive.

Disc 1 seems to view several of the VOBs as empty at the end of disc 1. It reads through the first title set, then says "Repairing defective DVD structure", then hits title set 2 and finishes very quickly.

Disc 3 fails reading after more than half the disc. Both discs play fine in a Samsung blu-ray player.

Disc 1 produces no error after finishing the rip but resulting folder size is 1.68gb. The disc size is 7.63gb and it doesn't play any main titles.

Disc 3 error is FileIO 3 VTS_02_1.VOB 1266784256 43008 and fails reading, I'm guessing at the layer split. Disc plays fine in the standalone player.

The physical media is free from scratches and damage.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 Well-Known Member

For the record, it's Todd McFarlane, not Seth.

:)

nebostrangla likes this.
  3. flat_earth7

flat_earth7 Member

My brain - I'm staring right at the tin while typing and it didn't ever register. May the comic book gods forgive me!
    Thank you...

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  4. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL

Fixed the title too ;)

flat_earth7 and whatever_gong82 like this.
  5. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

Nobody's perfect, especially me.

:D

flat_earth7 likes this.
  6. flat_earth7

flat_earth7 Member

Thank you :whistle:

7. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

I believe your discs and / or drive is dirty and / or defective. Probably the drive.

8. flat_earth7

flat_earth7 Member

Thank you James, I was dreading the possibility of a defective disc, but I'm still confused about disc 1 going through all those steps and then performing the same behavior of claiming the rip was completed fine, but still not creating the full set of files in the folder on the desktop. I tried it in another drive last night on my tower and they both produced the same results... so guessing disc 3 is a bum pressing. But disc 1... ? Should I make a log from the 2nd computer or is this a common way that the software deals with a bum disc... by saying the rip went fine but then not adding the files?

9. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

AnyDVD detects read erros during the scan, assumes this is an evil copy protection and removes the offending title. This results in a "small" disc.
    EDIT: You can turn this off, if you uncheck "copy protection based on read errors" in AnyDVD settings.

flat_earth7 likes this.
  10. flat_earth7

flat_earth7 Member

Makes perfect sense - thanks for the explanation. I'll give it a shot, but am most likely going to chalk this up to 2 badly pressed discs, sadly, since everything else I've thrown in those readers has not thrown up errors.