Thinking of Updating to Dual Layer

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by -nick, Jul 31, 2007.

1. -nick

-nick New Member

Hey folks,
    I've been using AnyDVD and DVDClone for a few years without any trouble. Although that "quality" bar always made me wonder just how much I'm missing by sticking with a single layer dvd burner.

Is the improvement noticeable between a ~60% quality burn and ~100%? I realize that dual layer burners aren't expensive anymore and the sticky thread looks like it has some good suggestions on which to buy/avoid. I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade?

Cheers
    nick

2. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

D/L burners are very inexpensive but D/L media, due to lack of enthusiasm, has failed to come down to a reasonable price. To some, the price is justifiable. To me, it's not even close yet.

3. Crusher

Crusher Well-Known Member

Yes the prices of DL media are outrageous even for the crap media. I just wait until a sale comes along that drops the price to around a dollar a disc and then stock up. Normally DL media is between two and three dollars a disc which when you think about it, isn't that bad considering you are backing up your expensive DVD collection. Better to spend 3 bucks on a backup than buy a new copy if something happens. :agree:

4. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Personally, I can't justify even $1 per disc for D/L when I get quality S/L for about $.30 per disc.

5. -nick

-nick New Member

Excellent tips. I might upgrade my drive at some point and keep a small stack of DL disks for dvd's that are packed enough to warrant using them. Then just backup most things on SL disks.

Thanks folks!

6. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

visit here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

7. loub555

loub555 Member

A catch 22 situation if ever there was one. :)

8. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I bought a 20 pack of D/L discs about a yr. ago. I've found a use for 3 of them so far.