• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Pursuit of Happyness

Never had this happen before.

I ripped this movie using Anydvd and Clonedvd2--no issues, it ripped fine.

From there, I always open a movie in Nero Recode to compress so it fits on a single layer disc (I know it's an extra step).

Never had issues before, but upon opening Pursuit of Happyness in Recode, it gave me an error saying "target size exceeded". Also, in the main window, it showed that the main movie wasn't compressable--which it always is. The ripped files re-opened just fine in Clonedvd2, and in Shrink.

I just did Children of Men right before this the same way and everything went fine. For that matter, I compress all my movies in recode after ripping them with Anydvd and Clonedvd2 and have never had a problem.

My recode version is 2.4.5.0. I'm in the process of downloading all the updates for Nero 7 in hopes of remedying my problem.

Also, I tried opening Pursuit of Happyness with my disc in the drive and it would not open at all in Recode with Anydvd running in the background.

Again though, I was able to rip it with Anydvd and Clonedvd2.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it won't compress in Recode?

Also, (sorry)

I used Anydvd 6.1.3.3.
Clonedvd 2.9.0.3.
Recode 2.4.5.0.

The ripped files and my original disc play fine on my pc (provided anydvd is running).

I have Nero 7.7.5.1. I'm downloading the update pack 7.8.5.0.
Does anyone know of any issues when applying this update?

I used DVDFab to decrypt and rip the Entire Movie to my HDD. I used Recode to burn and I never got any warnings.

Thanks for your reply. No, the error message isn't ignorable. I wouldn't let me proceed to the next screen. Since then, I've installed the Nero 7.8.5.0 update pack, therefore upgrading me to Recode 2.5.2.0. -Same problem. I was however able to import the files with shrink and it compressed it beautifully. I'm just partial to Recode.

Thanks for your reply. No, the error message isn't ignorable. I wouldn't let me proceed to the next screen. Since then, I've installed the Nero 7.8.5.0 update pack, therefore upgrading me to Recode 2.5.2.0. -Same problem. I was however able to import the files with shrink and it compressed it beautifully. I'm just partial to Recode.

That is pretty bizarre. Shrink usually chokes before Recode does.

Anyway, after ripping with Clonedvd2, if you then run that rip through FixVTS, any program, in theory, should be able to handle
that rip.

Last edited:
Once again, thanks Webslinger!

I imported the entire rip folder from my c: drive into Fixvts (which I didn't even know I could do and would've never thought of.) After running everything through fixvts, Recode handled the files perfectly! Do you think I didn't get a clean rip using Anydvd 6.1.3.3. and Clonedvd 2.9.0.3? Or is this yet another Sony hurdle?

Do you think I didn't get a clean rip using Anydvd 6.1.3.3. and Clonedvd 2.9.0.3? Or is this yet another Sony hurdle?

Yes, to both questions . . . (in my opinion)

I still find it extremely weird that Shrink handled a rip that Recode couldn't. I find that very bizarre. It makes no sense to me.

Makes no sense to me either. I never use shrink, I only keep it as a failsafe in case I need it. This is the first time that the output files produced by clonedvd wouldn't compress in Recode. After I ran them through fixvts, recode performed just as it always does. I even deleted the files, and re-ripped using Anydvd and clone dvd (no compression). Still had the same problem with Recode until I ran fix vts. Also, just for my own curiosity, I tried ripping and compressing all in one step with anydvd, and clonedvd. Using that method, the files compressed just fine. I love the ability to remove titles that clonedvd offers, and I love the advanced analysis and high quality mode that recode offers. Oh well.

Thanks for your help.

Also, just for my own curiosity, I tried ripping and compressing all in one step with anydvd, and clonedvd. Using that method, the files compressed just fine.

Well, yeah, Anydvd and Clonedvd don't have any problems with the Sony releases. But newer versions of Recode generally handle crazier disc structures better than Shrink does, so I'm quite puzzled by the information you're giving me.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that he just imported selected title(s) with Shrink. That might explain the succcess???

Addition: I just tried opening the AnyDVD rip with Shrink - and it could open the whole DVD.
I don't know how trustworthy the end results might be - but it did allow for a full disk backup.

-W

Last edited:
I did say it would go through Clonedvd2 like a breeze, even though I don't have this program.

The file is exceeded in Recode 2 because the movie needed only 4 vob's.

The disc have 21, maybe 22.

But then again, why bother, eh? :cool:

It is fantastic that it opened with shrink.

correction: 4 vob's, 21 vts needed, thanks Lye.

Last edited:
i used anydvd and clonedvd2 no problems see no need to recode

Still Pursuing Happyness

Now if I can only upload this----Happy6.jpg

If you can read this, you will notice that the Source Media Region Code is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

This means this dvd disc can be played by dvd players of these regions, thereby making it region free.

Notice that the Copy Protection System is NONE.

The AnyDvd status will show the Media Source as 1!

Notice the exclamation point.

The media player being used is, however, locked on Region 1.

The freeware ripit4me will give you these as it disallows the use of AnyDvd.

Links are less reliable than logs! But they have to be understood.

Sorry, the powers that be closed the thread. Enlightening.:disagree: So much for resources. But of course, you will have the last say!

:clap: That for the ride!
(and i still don't have clonedvd2)

Last edited:
R1 of The Pursuit of Happyness goes up to VTS_94_1.VOB.

korektamundo, DrinkLyeAndDie,, 22 t0 94 are unreferenced, 1-21 only are needed,

and here's hoping that you don't do that yet, I mean, drink lye!;)

Last edited:
Pursuit of Happyness was tougher to back-up than Rocky Balboa. I tried the method of using AnyDvd to rip to HD, but ran into a problem when running shrink to compress.

So I tried just running Roxio's Easy DVD copy with AnyDVD it copies and compresses at the same time. It creates a 4.33 GB folder and so far works fine. :agree:

Backing up The Pursuit of Happyness

Problems:
For this DVD, AnyDVD didn't work with Recode2 or Shrink when burning "on the fly". RipIt4Me couldn't rip the full disc, either.

Solution:
I ended up using AnyDVD to rip the full disc to my HDD. Then I tried to use Recode2 to make the backup to a DVD-5 but that didn't work. I ended up using Shrink to finally compress and burn the movie only to a DVD-5. Again, confirming what 5150 reported earlier, Shrink worked for this backup while Recode2 didn't. Strange, huh, Webslinger. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
R4M should be able to rip the disc no problem so that Recode and/or Shrink can open it. Odd that you had problems there.

Also, the easiest way to rip this disc with AnyDVD so that it works for Recode and/or Shrink is to use the latest beta version of VobBlanker as a ripper. Just open the video_ts.ifo from the DVD as input and select a folder on the hard drive as output. Optionally you can blank out(not skip) any titlesets you want to remove from your backup. This helps give Recode and Shrink more space to work with. Hit the process!! button and let it rip to the hard drive. After that Recode and/or Shrink will have no problems opening it from the folder you just ripped to.

Yea, during the ripping process, Ripit4me was making my DVD drive make some weird clunking noise ever few seconds. Sounded like it was stuck trying to read the DVD after 5% and it wouldn't progress after a few minutes. I shut it down b/c I thought it might damage my drive if I kept it going and it still wasn't progressing. RipIt4Me worked well with Stranger Than Fiction but not this one.

Thanks for the advice SamuriHL, I'll note that for my next Sony DVD backup.

Back