• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Maxtrix Revolutions

BrianG61UK

Converting to a HEVC MKV file I find the first 30 seconds of the film is corrupted if I use CUDA to decode the VC-1 video on the disk. Switching to software decoding (but still using CUDA for the HEVC encoding) fixes it.

Edit: I also noticed that the file created with software decoding is about 20-25% smaller than the one done with hardware decoding was, and I think the whole file looks slightly higher quality too, though the only really bad pixelation I noticed on the one done with hardware decoding seems to be confined to the first 30 seconds.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.0.9.0_Info_V_THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS.ziplog
    991.7 KB · Views: 1
  • TMR.cbdlog
    428.1 KB · Views: 3
  • drone.nvidia.exe -supportedcodecs.txt
    416 bytes · Views: 4
Last edited:
Since I have the same movie I did a quick test. Same exact results. The first 30 seconds show lots of pixilation. After that it seems to play ok (not 100% sure skipped through the rest). I also included a pic of the settings used.

Tested with H.264, same results.

settings.JPG

The other two Matrix series disks I have (the only other VC-1 Blu-rays I own) don't seem to have the same problem. It's just something about The Matrix Revolutions that doesn't work right with the hardware VC-1 decoding on NVIDIA CUDA in CloneBD. Who knows what's to blame.

Still happens with CloneBD 1.1.2.0.
It's weird, I can find no sign of the image corruption when playing the Blu-ray directly using CUDA hardware VC-1 decoding. At least I'm pretty certain hardware VC-1 decoding is being used by VLC and by MPC-HC64 with CCCP codec pack, with some changes to the settings.

There is not much we can do - decoding is a pretty straight forward thing, we feed the compressed data and nVidia delivers the frames.
Other than with the encoding process, there are no parameters to set, the decoder is configured by the stream itself.
The studio logo of this disc shows with this pixelation nonetheless.
I'm sorry, but we had to give up on it, because it's not a question about which knobs to turn, there simply are no knobs.

Okay, thanks for trying.
I'll test again every now and then to see if new NVidia drivers ever fix it.

Any chance of making a separate option of some kind so I can set it once and have NVIDIA hardware decoding used for H.264 (and MPEG-2 I guess) but not for VC-1?
I find it hardware decoding doesn't ever work that well on VC-1 -- it seems like there always more visible difference between hardware and software decoding of VC-1 than there is between hardware and software decoding of H.264.

I won't be offended if you say no - I see it would add unwanted extra complexity for the average user.

Any chance of making a separate option of some kind so I can set it once and have NVIDIA hardware decoding used for H.264 (and MPEG-2 I guess) but not for VC-1?

We will try to confirm what you're saying.
It would be surprising, if the hw decoder really delivered a different quality, because the decoding is nearly deterministic and the result should be identical, no matter what decoder (aside from the matrix-bug, but that's not a quality thing, something is really broken there - probably some bits in the video itself, that only nVidia stumbles over).
Encoding is a different thing, of course. The software x264 encoder does a slightly better job than all known hardware encoders, that is known.

Yes, there are green/white blocks/artifacts in the introduction somewhat synchronised with the logos intentionally slightly flickering. It doesn't make it beyond the Village Roadshow Pictures logo though (30 seconds). (H.265)

I just did a CUDA job to H.264 and have seen the same problem.

Last edited:
Yes, there are green/white blocks/artifacts in the introduction somewhat synchronised with the logos intentionally slightly flickering. It doesn't make it beyond the Village Roadshow Pictures logo though (30 seconds). (H.265)

I just did a CUDA job to H.264 and have seen the same problem.

There can be nothing done about it. The VC-1 intro on that disc either has coding errors, that only affect nVidia or the nVidia engine has a bug, that is only triggered by this intro.
Either way, Elby has no influence on this, it's happening in the hardware decoder. The simple workaround is to use the CloneBD's software decoder on this disc (you can still use the nVidia encoder, though).

It's cool. I already had it done in software before the CUDA/Nvidia acceleration/encoder was a feature.
I was just testing to confirm what the people in the thread said. Besides it's 30 seconds and it never affects the movie, just two intro logos.

It's cool. I already had it done in software before the CUDA/Nvidia acceleration/encoder was a feature.
I was just testing to confirm what the people in the thread said. Besides it's 30 seconds and it never affects the movie, just two intro logos.
I remember finding a much bigger discrepancy in the resulting file size between using CUDA decoding and using software decoding than could possibly be explained by just the initial 30 seconds being corrupt.

And, though I'm less sure I'm remembering right about this bit, the same larger than expected change in file size on the other two Matrix films where there is no obviously corrupt 30 seconds at the beginning.

I'm sorry, I failed to notice that or compare them with my existing rips, that does seem to be an on-going issue, there's a thread about that in the Issues and Bugs sub-forum.

Back