• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Lookout, Region 1 - AnyDVD 6.1.7.1 cannot properly handle this disc

I always want as close to accurate as a backup as possible, so I always do a "clone" type of backup... "Copy Disc" in Nero, or CloneCD, and use dual layer blanks when needed.

The Lookout Region 1 DVD failed at exactly 77% in both of these applications with AnyDVD 6.1.7.1 used as the on-the-fly decrypter. CloneCD reports that there are 14 unreadable sectors. I tried it on three different DVD drives and two different computers.
It looks like AnyDVD doesn't replace these 14 bad sectors with dummies. No big deal, you can let CloneCD skip them.
Anyway, this will fix itself as soon as the new "AI Scanner(tm)" is finished.

The thing is, Nero's "Copy DVD" function also has similar read errors, but DVDFab Platinum does not.
Simple: DVDFab doesn't do 1:1 sector copies. :D
AnyDVD ripper doesn't show errors either. As I said: Ignore the errors in CloneCD, you'll be fine. Fix is coming soon...

Dvdfab doesn't do anything on the fly. It's basically the same as having a decrypter embedded into Clonedvd or Clonecd. So the program can alter vobs, etc. If you're just doing a Nero discopy with Anydvd running in the background, Anydvd is decrypting on the fly--and nothing can really significantly alter the vobs or disc structure on the fly.
How is DVDFab's "Clone" function any different? I mean how do you know for sure, you seem pretty certain? Both Nero's "Copy DVD," CloneCD, and DVDFab Platinum's "Clone" all look like they are doing the exact same thing to me.

So this issue exists with Arccos protected discs being decrypted on the fly.
:eek::confused::eek:

I don't know why I have to keep repeating this... I do all my backups with Nero's "Copy DVD" or CloneCD, and on all of my discs with Arccos, I have never, ever, ever seen this behavior.

You seem to be implying that this is normal with Arccos? Because I know for a fact that that isn't true.

This is an "on the fly" with a 1:1 copier issue (and only with specific protections).
Again... I do all my backups with Nero's "Copy DVD" or CloneCD, and on all of my discs with Arccos, I have never, ever, ever seen this behavior.

Yes, it does.
See, this is an example of where you really confuse the heck out of me.

You said:
In all honesty, I would like to see a better solution for Clonecd implemented (that will allow for the original layer break to be maintained
I read this as you saying that CloneCD doesn't maintain the original layer break, hence it needs a "better solution implemented."

I point out that I believe CloneCD already does maintain the layer break. You then reply back and agree. :doh:

It's been my experience that people who deliberately contradict themselves turn out to be trolling (i.e., doing it deliberately just to get a rise out of poster, cause confusion, derail the thread, etc.). Now I know that's not something you would want to do, so that leaves me very confused!

Last edited:
I promise this is the last OT post I make on this.

[OT]

I don't know if James will be angry with me for writing this, but oh well . . .

Looks like you are going to get the snot beat out of you with a foam bat. ;)

He told me he didn't want to release 2-3 betas to finally have a version that works properly. He told me he wanted to release one version of Anydvd that worked right--the first time. And he did. He didn't say why. I'll tell you why. Who, in his or her right mind, wants to create confusion with releases that may or may not work? No one. So, I think James is to be commended on waiting for the disc to arrive in Antigua to ensure it works properly instead of just basing everything on .ifos that people post or upload (and then just post a beta version hoping that it will work). James got it right the first time. :clap:

Well, what you said only confirms my initial belief as to why they waited. I think a fix could have been released far sooner but actually having the disc allowed more to be looked at and as much time as needed to do all the work and have it work right the first time around.

As we now know from what James said last night [or maybe this morning?] the release wasn't a real beta release but they released it as such because the mail server was being moved.

[/OT]

It looks like AnyDVD doesn't replace these 14 bad sectors with dummies. No big deal, you can let CloneCD skip them.
Anyway, this will fix itself as soon as the new "AI Scanner(tm)" is finished.

That explains everything for me, simply and directly.

After all the back and forth. :)

Thanks a lot for the reply. I apologize for the DVDFab stuff, but when I get into a troubleshooting mindset I just have to try alternatives. Believe me, I still prefer AnyDVD and will keep DVDFab as a secondary tool only. :)

How is DVDFab's "Clone" function any different? I mean how do you know for sure, you seem pretty certain? Both Nero's "Copy DVD," CloneCD, and DVDFab Platinum's "Clone" all look like they are doing the exact same thing to me.

The point I am making is that dvdfab doesn't run in the background--working on the fly--for third party software (it also doesn't allow discs to be seen on computers as being decrypted/region free, etc. either). Consequently, the program doesn't need to decrypt anything on the fly--or at least, logically, allows for some design flexibility because it doesn't do as much as Anydvd. I don't know if the clone feature in dvdfab operates in the exact same manner as anydvd+clonecd (if it does, then logically, it is skipping those bad sectors properly), but I really doubt it. James says dvdfab doesn't do 1:1 sector copies, so that pretty much confirms that it doesn't operate in the same manner as Anydvd+Clonecd.

I don't know why I have to keep repeating this... I do all my backups with Nero's "Copy DVD" or CloneCD, and on all of my discs with Arccos, I have never, ever, ever seen this behavior.

And again, I said fair enough.

You seem to be implying that this is normal with Arccos? Because I know for a fact that that isn't true.

No. I'm saying this issue will arise because of Arccos. Normally, Anydvd fixes the issue completely for Clonecd (this time Clonecd is doing some of the work). Again, it's similar to why Anydvd ripper is sometimes required for dvd shrink with these titles.

I read this as you saying that CloneCD doesn't maintain the original layer break, hence it needs a "better solution implemented."

You interpreted what I wrote incorrectly (or I was too vague). When you rip with Anydvd ripper (which removes all the junk), nothing about the layer break position is reported anywhere in a file that I can easily import into clonecd, for example, so that clonecd can maintain the layer break position. If I made an .ifo from Anydvd ripper files I don't have any layer break info that I can import anywhere. Basically, I was thinking about the process of getting a clean rip and maintaining the original layer break position with this specific movie--without getting those sector errors in Clonecd. And I concluded I would have to do some things that I'm normally too lazy to bother with (such as monkeying around in pcgedit).

I point out that I believe CloneCD already does maintain the layer break. You then reply back and agree.

If you ever happen to read some of the stickies in either the Clonedvd or Clonecd forums, I think you'll find I know for a fact that Clonecd keeps the original layer break position. That's the whole reason I use Clonecd--and not Clonedvd.

It's been my experience that people who deliberately contradict themselves turn out to be trolling

I don't play troll games (I joke around sometimes; but, for example, you won't find me in cdfreaks' dvdfab forum stating how much I think dvdfab sucks; I don't troll). I have too much to deal with.

Last edited:
A lot of people like to use CloneDVD or AnyDVD ripper, but those aren't for me, because using them loses accuracy. For many, this isn't a big deal. But if your goal is as close to 100% accurate backups as possible, AnyDVD ripper, CloneDVD, Shrink, Nero Recode, etc. will not achieve that.

They will lose:

• Original volume date
  • Original file dates
  • Any content not in VIDEO_TS
  • Original volume label (unless you correctly specify it by hand)
  • Original 8-character disc ID
  • In many cases, original layer break
  • And of course, if you're shrinking a dual layer to single layer, loss of quality

Dual layer blanks and drives are cheap enough now that there should, in my mind, be no reason not to do a "clone" style backup, using the methods I mentioned previously in this thread (Nero "Copy DVD", CloneCD, ImgBurn, DVDFab "Clone"). For some reason the FBI warnings and such bother some people so much they deem it absolutely necessary to remove them. I personally like seeing it, as it's in indicator that I've archived a perfect clone of the original. You can usually skip past them, since AnyDVD removes the user prohibited operations.

Dual layer blanks and drives are cheap enough now that there should, in my mind, be no reason not to do a "clone" style backup

Many people will argue Verbatim +R DL is still too expensive, but my preference is to produce Verbatim+R DL (made in Singapore) backups with the original layer break position intact; so, I to tend to agree with you (despite the fact I'm sure we are in the minority). In fact, this is my preferred (lazy) method:
click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

So anything that does affect Clonecd concerns me a lot, actually.

Last edited:
$2.00 USD per disc for a dual layer on average is a bit steep but let's all go back to when this was all new we were paying around10 to 20 dollars to get 5 to 10 DVD + or - R's back in the days :D Now we have users wanting a CloneDVD2 HD version and the disc for those are around 15+ dollars on average but yet we complain about the average 2.00 disc per dual layer? I know not all of us are wanting an HD version of CloneDVD2 but thought I would throw that out as it is wanted by some.

$2.00 USD per disc

I got my Verbatim+R DLs for close to a $1 (which I admit is rare). I stocked up, but many will still say that's too much. The thing is the constant drive towards making blank media cheaper and cheaper has/had brought about a situation where Verbatim has some of its +R DL media made in India now (and I can't say I've been overly impressed with that stuff). To me that situation is a bit similar to why Plextor has stopped making its own burners since the PX-760a (now Plextor is just rebadging everything) and also why the build quality of (real) Plextor drives started to go downhill (still decent, but definitely not as good as they once were). No one wants to pay a premium for what is perceived to be only a marginally better product than something that costs $30-$50. Similarly, some people don't want to pay the higher prices for single layer Taiyo Yuden premium blank media, Maxell Broadcast Quality (not that Maxell will ever care about public sales of BQ too much, considering it's not really intended for the public/average consumers), Verbatim, etc. when they can get Princo, Memorex, or whatever for much less.

Last edited:
This thread is nearly unbearable to read all the way through.

I just wanted to add that I also had the same problem with both Lookout and Blades of Glory.

For Blades of Glory (R1), the error is in the VTS_08_5 Video file. It's in the credits at the end. I have tried several discs myself to fill in the missing piece.

I am using the current version 6.1.7.0. I just checked for an update, but not yet.

Will I install an older version to rip this movie as suggested? No. It's too much work, and I usually expect upgrades to resolve earlier issues. I will wait for the next update.

I am sure Slysoft is working on these matters now that they have been brought to their attention?

I just wanted to add that I also had the same problem with both Lookout and Blades of Glory.

For Blades of Glory (R1), the error is in the VTS_08_5 Video file. It's in the credits at the end. I have tried several discs myself to fill in the missing piece.

I am using the current version 6.1.7.0. I just checked for an update, but not yet.
Look closer:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=7541

Last edited by a moderator:

You're using the wrong version of Anydvd. Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=7541

I am sure Slysoft is working on these matters now that they have been brought to their attention?

It's already been addressed. And for The Lookout, if you're using Shrink you need to use Anydvd ripper.

Last edited:
Back