• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

THE LOOKOUT (miramax)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've been trying to use the CD-DVD speed program now a couple times and it always stalls before it starts. I start CD-DVD speed and then choose the quality option. When I click start all the buttons grey out and it counts down to let the drive spin up. Although the drive does not spin up and the process never starts.

Attached is a screen shot 7 minutes after pressing start...

This is how every DVD I try acts. DVDs that I've made copies of just fine stall on the quality test.

Important note: The other tests work fine... surface scan, file scan, etc... none of them stall and none of them report errors.

Attachments

• cd-dvd.jpg
    cd-dvd.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 6
Well, a surface scan of The Lookout did finish and it reports a couple unreadable sectors... I guess this could be the problem?

I'm going to try to pull an ISO of the disc and then Clone from that ISO. Maybe that'll work?

Attachments

• cd-dvd2.jpg
    cd-dvd2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 3
AnyDVD/CloneDVD fail to copy the disc. Several had reported that other copy programs were able to copy the disc while AnyDVD/CloneDVD could not.

In my case it seems the reason is because of a bad section on the disc, but other with similar bad sectors were able to pull a copy using other software.

So why can other copy programs deal with the problem and pull a copy anyway while AnyDVD/CloneDVD cannot?

AnyDVD/CloneDVD fail to copy the disc. Several had reported that other copy programs were able to copy the disc while AnyDVD/CloneDVD could not.

In my case it seems the reason is because of a bad section on the disc, but other with similar bad sectors were able to pull a copy using other software.

So why can other copy programs deal with the problem and pull a copy anyway while AnyDVD/CloneDVD cannot?

Every software company tries but there is no absolute for sure deal package to get and be guaranteed it'll do all.....all the time. Some readers are more forgiving. So I assume software is the same too?

Well, a surface scan of The Lookout did finish and it reports a couple unreadable sectors... I guess this could be the problem?

I'm going to try to pull an ISO of the disc and then Clone from that ISO. Maybe that'll work?

Your original disc is bad and needs to be exchanged (you did run the test with Anydvd running in the background, right?).

I agree, and I'm not yelling and screaming about the problem, just trying to provide as much information as possible so that if the writers wish to address the problem they might have all the information they need to do so.

Isn't that a primary purpose for these forums? To relay information like this to the software writers so they might improve their product?

(if an angry tone was read into my post, please dis-reguard, I'm only providing information, not nagging or complaining)

If a disc with such errors was impossible to copy, then I wouldn't waste any time on it, but since other software can copy it that means there is a way to get around such minor defects and it would be nice in the future, when other discs have similar problems, for AnyDVD/CloneDVD to be able to copy those discs.

This isn't the first DVD with defects such as this, and lord knows it won't be the last, so maybe some day soon Slysoft/Elaborate Bytes will be able to deal with such defects.

Actually a number of people reported that Anydvd/Clonedvd worked perfectly fine.

As for other programs . . . at least one other program skips over read errors, leaving you with an imperfect backup. The damaged area may be minor (so people don't really notice any issues when playing the imperfect backup). Or the damaged area may be significant, in which case people will notice when watching their imperfect backups. Slysoft programs do not skip over read errors.

Your original disc is bad and needs to be exchanged (you did run the test with Anydvd running in the background, right?).

Yes I did.

I had previously gotten a Netflix copy before I bought it and today grabbed a Blockbuster copy... they have all had this defect it seems. I was unable to copy any of them. Any way for me to tell based on UPC or something before I go buy and swap 20 discs looking for one without the defect?

No biggie either way, today there are plenty of places to get a copy of the DVD, or like others have said I can use some other software to pull my copy. I just assumed that AnyDVD/CloneDVD might want to address this issue seeing as how they seem to be among the few software titles that cannot copy such discs.

And since they are the only ones I've actually purchased I figured maybe my voice might matter to some degree.

I just assumed that AnyDVD/CloneDVD might want to address this issue seeing as how they seem to be among the few software titles that cannot copy such discs.

Actually, most programs can't backup defective discs--and while it might to some people to skip over read errors, I am not interested in imperfect backups.

I suspect a lot of bad discs exist of this film.

Actually a number of people reported that Anydvd/Clonedvd worked perfectly fine.

The assumption at this point is the people who have been able to copy the disc do not have defective discs. So yes, the software works on the good discs, but the issue is whether it can still produce a copy at all if the disc isn't perfect.

In this regard, it seems AnyDVD/CloneDVD is acting the same for everyone. If the disc has any defects at all then the copy fails. No matter how minor the defect.

As for other programs . . . at least one other program skips over read errors, leaving you with an imperfect backup. The damaged area may be minor (so people don't really notice any issues when playing the imperfect backup). Or the damaged area may be significant, in which case people will notice when watching their imperfect backups. Slysoft programs do not skip over read errors.

That's useful information, thank you. And knowing that the program strives for a 100% perfect copy is a noble goal.

IMHO though, the program should let me be the judge of what an acceptable copy/backup is. A defaut setting of being strict is fine, but I should be able to go check a box to allow a copy to happen even with errors.

This disc being my only example, shows that such a minor defect plays fine and copies made with other software turn out fine. So why should the software be so strict as to not allow me to make a copy at all?

I'm not interested in imperfect backups either as a rule, but when my only choice is NO backup or a backup with an inperceptable glitch, it's a non-choice, I want the backup.

Of course I want a backup of my entire computer in case my house burns down. But if my choice is no backup or a backup missing one empty text file then I choose to have a backup.

When the amount of missing information becomes important is a personal preference. For a movie, my metric would be if I see or hear any artifacts or skipping while playing the movie. If the missing information in no way effects the video or audio I see/hear then it's a moot point. If the error results in a skip then that's not acceptable.

This specific disc has such a small defect that it does not effect the playing of the disc. all optical discs have redundant information on them by nature and the DVD player uses that redundant info to play perfectly through this section of the disc, as designed. A copy program should be able to do the same thing and create a perfect copy the same way a DVD player produces a perfect video/audio stream while playing.

But all of this just hammers the point that this should be a user controlled option.

If there is an option in AnyDVD/CloneDVD that will allow this, I've overlooked it and would appreciate some education. But from the sounds of it, this simply isn't an option with this software.

In the end it's really a moot point though and it seems we're wasting our time. If the mantra of AnyDVD/CloneDVD is to never allow a copy if it's not 100% perfect and to not let the user override that then so be it. I really am glad to know that all my copies are perfect. A defective disc is so rare (at least for me) that it's not worth spending any more time on. This is actually my first defective disc ever out of hundreds copied.

Thanks for the input guys!

If the mantra of AnyDVD/CloneDVD is to never allow a copy if it's not 100% perfect and to not let the user override that then so be it.

This suggestion has been made before. Some people do want Clonedvd to offer the option to skip over read errors. I have no idea what Elaborate Bytes, the official developer of Clonedvd, feels about that suggestion.

Well I can understand the position of always commiting to 100% perfect copies. Much like those who only accept bitperfect copies of their music to take with them everywhere.

The thought is valid, but for me (and surely many others) we don't demand perfection past what we can readily perseve. For music I'm much more forgiving because it's unlikely that I'd even notice missing subtle frequencies because my primary listening position is in my car traveling 80mph down the highway. You could destroy probably up to 20% or 30% of a song before it would be noticed in that noisy environment.

Movies however, I'm watching in my theatre so I'd notice faster... but from my perspective I should be able to be the one that decides to allow a single frame dropped in my copy if I think that's acceptable in a given set of circumstances.

Now that I think about it, it actually doesn't track to not allow this option based on a 100% perfect attitude. They allow you to shrink the DVD down in size thus destroying the 100% perfect philosophy so this is no different. It's a user setting that allows the user to acomplish something that would otherwise not be possible by giving up some measure of quality.

Now that I think about it, it actually doesn't track to not allow this option based on a 100% perfect attitude. They allow you to shrink the DVD down in size thus destroying the 100% perfect philosophy so this is no different. It's a user setting that allows the user to acomplish something that would otherwise not be possible by giving up some measure of quality.

Then you didn't think about it hard enough. There is a BIG difference between compression and completely missing data. When you have a read error, that's data on the disc that isn't being read at all. That can and will leave gaps if this is in the video/audio data. That will be a noticeable effect. Compression, while it can be noticeable, doesn't drop whole scenes...

Then you didn't think about it hard enough. There is a BIG difference between compression and completely missing data. When you have a read error, that's data on the disc that isn't being read at all. That can and will leave gaps if this is in the video/audio data. That will be a noticeable effect. Compression, while it can be noticeable, doesn't drop whole scenes...

Furthermore, people like me hate lossy compression (and choose not to compress at all), but I am in the minority.

Furthermore, people like me hate lossy compression (and choose not to compress at all), but I am in the minority.

These days I'd rather not compress if I can help it. In fact, I've mostly given up on DVDs anyway, but, that's not the point. The point is I don't want MISSING data to start with. That's one thing I consider to be a drawback of other, "more tolerant" rippers. I don't consider that a good thing at all.

You're right, the potential for loss is different. While compression obscures things as it gets worse, a read error could remove things.

Although, from the podium of 100% perfect copy both compression and read errors make for an imperfect copy.

Theoretically, I might say that I'd rather have something compressed over having some data missing, but it all depends on the degree of the effect. Missing an entire scene of a movie would certainly be bad by anyone's standards. But if a read error caused a glitch in movement for a second (say up to 20 frames dropped) that would be acceptable if I had no other immediate recourse.

I will say though, that I'd rather have a single second of video missing than an entire film with compression artifacts. The single second of missing video would make me frown inside, but I'd enjoy the movie otherwise. A movie with screwed up fidelity goes in the trash. Like a handy-cam copy of a theatre movie... I have no desire to see that crap even if it's got every frame of the movie. It looks like crap and that to me destroys the experience of the movie and distracts from the story much more than small skip.

I know a lot of people don't use the compression, but that's part of my point. The option is available as it should be, and skipping read errors should be too. Some will still choose not to use it, but some would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back