• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Dark Knight discussion

(and you need to spend over $100m on it to get my money)

I hope you're not suggesting that a movie's budget determines whether or not it's worth seeing. Many of the worst movies in history have been among the most expensive. And big effects don't make a good movie, either. Most CGI looks incredibly fake, anyway, regardless of what kind of screen you're watching it on (the Star Wars prequels fit both categories, of big budget movies that were void of any real plot, or depth; and "effects" that looked mostly like cartoons).

Last edited:
Fandango, where I get my tickets, does the same thing. It's a little popup window that comes up. I just close it before it even loads. I should place the url in my block list for adblocker. I love getting the tickets at fandango and then going into the theater to the automated ticket machine to spit them out. Very nice. I got my Dark Knight tickets shortly after they went on sale about 3 or 4 weeks ago. :) I knew better than to wait.

I just found there's a lawsuit going on against Webloyalty and Fandango is also mentioned. I have purchased from other several stores that are partnered with the WLI scammers, and besides that, they're OK stores, that's what bothers me. Movietickets.com was OK, and TigerDirect also uses (or used) WLI if I'm not mistaken.

I don't quite get the love for home theatres to the point of excluding a good, old-fashioned theatre experience. It's not just about the movie; it's about the communal experience, getting your butt out of the house for an evening, and many other things. If I wanted a HTPC experience all the time, I'd lock myself in panic room with only my computer for company.

Also, I don't like waiting the months for a home video release, and even then I don't have a screen to rival the size of a movie theatre, and nothing that can touch an IMAX.

Personally, I think all you HTPC-obsessed people are missing out.

Actually, the cons of an "old-fashioned theatre experience" (notice I left out the "good"), outweigh the pros for me most of the time. It really also depends where you go. The jerks here in L.A. are just too much to deal with in a regular basis. Forget the cellphones, I get extremely annoyed when people shout and clap at the freaking movie! THE ACTORS ARE NOT THERE! THE DIRECTOR IS NOT THERE! There, I said it.

Anyway, IMAX is indeed a good reason to get off my butt, and it's pretty much what I said in one of the earlier posts, but since the actual quality of the picture and watching the movie in peace are paramount to me, unless I can have both, or quality is far superior (IMAX) that I can put up with some jerks, I won't go to the theater. I'll just get off my butt by doing other things anyway. I go to the park and run and stuff.

Oh, and of course there is the social experience, as with friends and/or (preferably) a girl. But in that case it's not really about the theater experience, it's more about just hanging out.

I just found there's a lawsuit going on against Webloyalty and Fandango is also mentioned. I have purchased from other several stores that are partnered with the WLI scammers, and besides that, they're OK stores, that's what bothers me. Movietickets.com was OK, and TigerDirect also uses (or used) WLI if I'm not mistaken.

I just make sure to close it out as soon as I hit the purchase button. I've had no problem at all with fandango. I love getting them online and then going into the theater to the ticket kiosk to pick them up. SO convenient!

Actually, the cons of an "old-fashioned theatre experience" (notice I left out the "good"), outweigh the pros for me most of the time. It really also depends where you go. The jerks here in L.A. are just too much to deal with in a regular basis. Forget the cellphones, I get extremely annoyed when people shout and clap at the freaking movie! THE ACTORS ARE NOT THERE! THE DIRECTOR IS NOT THERE! There, I said it.

You and my wife would get along great. They applauded at the end of the show at our theater and she got wicked annoyed. She absolutely HATES that. Mind you, it was during the credits, but, she thinks it's stupid. I just have to laugh.

I hope you're not suggesting that a movie's budget determines whether or not it's worth seeing.

No, that's not what I said. I was speaking to the difference between my 105" DLP home theater and the real theaters.

Only the bigger money movies even show a difference that MIGHT make it worth going out to see. The rest can surely wait for home viewing - they'll be just as good. And we loved Revenge of the Sith. :p

-W

They applauded at the end of the show at our theater and she got wicked annoyed. She absolutely HATES that.

Tell her that I want my 101 dalmations back.
Also, that I'm turning her in to the folks in WhoVille about all thier missing Christmas stuff. :D

-W

I still haven't gotten a chance to see the movie but a few comments:

1. Even the best home theatre cannot match being in a real theatre. The feel just isn't the same and seeing a movie on a huge screen is great.
  2. A movie has to be amazing for me to see in the theatre. As has already been mentioned, I cannot tolerate people on cellphones, people talking to each other, some brat kicking my seat from behind, or a couple who simply had to bring their 3 crying children to the theatre rather than leaving them with a babysitter. I know parenthood can be trying and I know the economy sucks right now but that's not my problem. I went to enjoy a movie and not listen to kids cry and idiots have phone conversations. I also don't like nearly needing to file for bankruptcy after purchasing a ticket, small soda, and popcorn.
  3. This new series of movies with Bale have really really done a lot to fix the problems with Batman. I did like Batman in '89 but the subsequent movies totally ruined it. It is understandable that they re-visited The Joker in this new movie but I sincerely hope that they decide to make these newer series of movies go their own way without remaking the previous villains. I don't want to see myself comparing every aspect of the previous movies and the new movies. The Joker was a necessary villain to revisit. I'd love to see The Riddler revisited but... I think it would be a bad idea. Let's just hope they continue to have great writing and keep casting the right actors.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see the movie in the theatre within the next week.

Tell her that I want my 101 dalmations back.
Also, that I'm turning her in to the folks in WhoVille about all thier missing Christmas stuff. :D

-W

No kidding. :) She didn't even overly enjoy the Dark Knight to begin with. It was a shame I took her to that one. Oh well. She had fun at dinner at least. :) I, otoh, absolutely LOVED Dark Knight and can't wait to see it again.

This new series of movies with Bale have really really done a lot to fix the problems with Batman. I did like Batman in '89 but the subsequent movies totally ruined it. It is understandable that they re-visited The Joker in this new movie but I sincerely hope that they decide to make these newer series of movies go their own way without remaking the previous villains. I don't want to see myself comparing every aspect of the previous movies and the new movies. The Joker was a necessary villain to revisit. I'd love to see The Riddler revisited but... I think it would be a bad idea. Let's just hope they continue to have great writing and keep casting the right actors.

You won't compare the Joker from this movie to Jack's portrayal. Trust me. It won't even enter your mind to do so. They are SOOO different as to be completely separate characters. Heath's version is by far the best we'll probably ever see on film. When you see where they go with this movie, all comparisons to previous incarnations suddenly stop. But it takes to the very end of Dark Knight to get there. When you get to the end, you'll understand why such comparisons are utterly useless. IMO, Nolan knows what the hell he's doing. His version of Batman truly rocks. I have no worries whatsoever as to who the next villain is or whether it'll work out. If Nolan continues in the direction he's going, it will. Even if he brought Catwoman into it. :D (Ok, he could kill it with Robin, but, you know, NO ONE can do that right cause it's just impossible.)

Go see it. You'll very much enjoy it.

You and my wife would get along great. They applauded at the end of the show at our theater and she got wicked annoyed. She absolutely HATES that. Mind you, it was during the credits, but, she thinks it's stupid. I just have to laugh.

Well, at least it was at the end. Over here people applaud (and some yell at the screen) in those moments where the hero has a witty comeback at the villain, or the cute girl says something super cute... stuff like that. Did I mention I hate these jerks?

But that's just me. Loud people in general annoy me. Even as a teenager I was an old bitter man, always been.

well, At Least It Was At The End. Over Here People Applaud (and Some Yell At The Screen) In Those Moments Where The Hero Has A Witty Comeback At The Villain, Or The Cute Girl Says Something Super Cute... Stuff Like That. Did I Mention I Hate These Jerks?

But That's Just Me. Loud People In General Annoy Me. Even As A Teenager I Was An Old Bitter Man, Always Been.

"Get Off My Lawn!" :D

Well, it came and went. And just as predicted, especially with a full theater, at 12:15 pm, the clapping was inevitable.

The movie sucked. I liked the ones with George Clooney and Val Kilmer better.

Just kidding. Just one word regarding the IMAX experience: Vertigo-licious!

The non-imax shots though, as I expected are not much more impressive in resolution than a good 1080p transfer, but maybe because of the huge size of the screen the difference is not as noticeable (it wasn't very sharp from where I was sitting).

But IMAX is certainly a reason to get off my butt.

You won't compare the Joker from this movie to Jack's portrayal. Trust me. It won't even enter your mind to do so. They are SOOO different as to be completely separate characters. Heath's version is by far the best we'll probably ever see on film. When you see where they go with this movie, all comparisons to previous incarnations suddenly stop. But it takes to the very end of Dark Knight to get there. When you get to the end, you'll understand why such comparisons are utterly useless. IMO, Nolan knows what the hell he's doing. His version of Batman truly rocks. I have no worries whatsoever as to who the next villain is or whether it'll work out. If Nolan continues in the direction he's going, it will. Even if he brought Catwoman into it. :D (Ok, he could kill it with Robin, but, you know, NO ONE can do that right cause it's just impossible.)

Go see it. You'll very much enjoy it.

I second that. But see it in IMAX, reserve your tickets NOW!

Catwoman can be made into a decent character as proven by Burton. The Tim Burton movies also are pretty good, unbelievable as Michael Keaton was as Batman.

If I have one criticism of this movie, is that it feels a little self-restrained to fit the PG-13. Yeah, it wasn't as "dark" as I was led to believe by the hype. It should have gone "R" and Nolan (and Ledger) should have gone insane with it. Screw the kids, they'll see it anyway.

Jack's Joker was Jack at his very, VERY, best at doing Jack (at his best). :D
Ledger's Joker is whole different animal. No comparison.

-W

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with Jack. It's just that Heath's performance was...The Joker.

i saw the movie last night. amazing i thought 2 and a half hours was not even enough. i loved it . i thought, like most others, that Ledgers role as the joker was amazing. it was great that they left room for him to come again in another movie but it sucks that hes not around anymore. i love how they fit two-face into the mix as well. i was actually epecting that in another movie but in my opinion best batman movie ever aside from Batman and Robin :doh: joking

im actually interested to see a different portrayal of the penguin and the catwoman. please no Halley Berry wort movie of all times. i hoe they keep going with this franchise i know theres a JLA movie coming out with different characters and theres even talk about a superman batman movie with Christian Bale and Brandon Routh

Last edited:
Oh please no Superman! I never liked that character. I think I'd rather have Nolan get Robin in there than Superman.

They need to take a break from Superman (again) and just leave it alone until anyone who's seen the last one recovers (could take decades).

They need to take a break from Superman (again) and just leave it alone until anyone who's seen the last one recovers (could take decades).

The only things I didn't really like about Returns was the secondary effect elements usually looked cartoonish, and the plot. The casting (surprisingly) was quite good, though they could've found someone a few years older for Lois, (though what's-her-name did a good job), the major effects were reasonably decent, and the acting was a hell of a lot better than in any of the original Superman flicks. I'll never quite understand why the first 2 older movies are so highly thought of. IMO, Lois' "can you read my mind" monologue invalidates nearly the entire film and lowers the IQ of anyone who hears it by at least 20 points. The only parts of the movie I enjoyed were the scenes on Krypton, and Smallville. In watching the remainder of the film, I can't help but laugh out loud at the director's apparently obsession with verisimilitude.

The plot was what killed it for me; Lex's "plan", in particular. I still maintain that those crystals he stole were intended for data storage, not geological manipulation. That's the whole reason Jor-El included that green crystal in the first place. Also, even if it were possible to reconfigure those crystals for another purpose, Lex would essentially be destroying all that advanced technological knowledge by using them to grow new landmasses.

Last edited:
Back