• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Abyss 4K Disc - Need Some Help Please

That drive requires USB 3.0.

Yes, it does.

Been using 3.0 so long I didn't even consider mentioning it's a requirement. :=)

My 3 PCs are 2.0.

I see...

For a bit more I can get a decent low-end standalone UHD player on Amazon. I will wait unto Christmas rolls around for all the good deals.

Don't know if you're in the States, but here July 4th and Black Friday are earlier events that usually offer good deals on electronics.

Good luck!

T

Don't know if you're in the States, but here July 4th and Black Friday are earlier events that usually offer good deals on electronics.
Left Coast, 'Murrica. About 40 miles or so from Amazon main HQ.

Christmas is my target 'cuz that "money, why does it always have to be money" thing makes the determining factor. Very fixed, very limited income and all that jazz. I'm still recovering from my AnyStream purchase a couple of months ago.

That drive requires USB 3.0. My 3 PCs are 2.0. All three are recycled cases and added parts, at least 8 years old and were not top-of-the-line even when the original PC was new. I am a cheapo MOFO.

For a bit more I can get a decent low-end standalone UHD player on Amazon. I will wait unto Christmas rolls around for all the good deals.

If you have a free PCIe slot, get a USB 3.x card.

If you have a free PCIe slot, get a USB 3.x card.
Therein lies the rub, the PC I use to rip and watch BDs ain't got any extra slots. The case is so cramped I had to get an nVidia 1030 slim line card.

I know what I "could" do, if I had the money. but I don't.

M'ok, I realized a sudden influx of cash and was able to buy a standalone 4K player. Ramen noodles time for the rest of the month.

Panasonic 4K Blu Ray Player, Ultra HD Premium Video Playback and Hi-Res Audio - DP-UB154P-K (Black)

So, it isn't a top-o-da-line 4K player, and requires purchasing an HDMI cable.

Ubluker 10k 8k 4k HDMI 2.1 Cable 6.6 FT, Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 4k 120Hz 144Hz 8k 60Hz 48Gbps HDR10+ Dolby Atmos HDCP2.3 Compatible for Mac RTX4090 PC HDTV PS5 Xbox

Ordered yesterday, 1 day delivery, and I received both a couple of hours ago. Hooked 'em up and briefly played the three 4K UHD discs I own. The thing works, and for my needs and aging eyes and ears works well enough.

The Abyss 4K disc has as clumsy a switching process between the theatrical and extended version as the Blu-ray. :banghead:

The Waterworld 4K has the "Ulyssess" cut as well as the theatrical cut, the BD is just the theatrical. The digital copy is just the theatrical edition.

Nothing extra-special about the Poltergeist 4K vs. the BD that I noticed.

Now I won't be so hesitant about buying 4K releases, as long as they come with BD and digital code as well.

Got my discs and proceeded to back them up.

1080 version had no problems and I watched the movie yesterday. The video is excellent. The colours do look a little muted though.

4K version of the film failed multiple times. I have cleaned the disc several times and it looks perfect. Keeps failing in the same place - either 35% ripping to image or 54 mins into the film with CBD. The resultant MKV (even though not complete) allowed us to view the first part of the film on our TV. The colour looks better in the 4K version compared to the 1080 one...and the contrast is definitely better in the 4K one -> to our tired old eyes anyway.

One big issue...the 4K version looks like the soap-opera effect on our TV. PLEASE NOTE: I have all that crap turned off on the TV and don't see this with anything else!

As this is our first 4K anything, can anyone suggest what is causing this? Using Kodi via a Nividia Sheild (2019) Pro -> LG OLED C2 TV.

Keeps failing in the same place - either 35% ripping
That might be the first layer break if it's a three layer disc. Possible the drive just has issues with that, even on a clean disc.

One big issue...the 4K version looks like the soap-opera effect on our TV.
One question from myself: What the hell does that mean? I have read it multiple times in the past in various articles about movies, but no one ever said what this effect is supposed to look like.

One question from myself: What the hell does that mean? I have read it multiple times in the past in various articles about movies, but no one ever said what this effect is supposed to look like.
It's a strange effect where moving objects don't seem to move correctly, and the movie somehow looks unreal? Very difficult to explain. In fact, some people never even notice it. I however, do!

I've realised in reflection that our TV is probably using different settings for the 4K (being that's the first we've ever had). I'll have to play it again and go into the TV's settings and look for the offending ones - usually Trumotion or something like that. There are usually about three of them that need turning off.

And...it is possible the drive is having some issues, but it's never failed on dual layer blurays, so it much be able to read a second layer.

It's a strange effect where moving objects don't seem to move correctly, and the movie somehow looks unreal?
So, like, the perspective tells you it should move 10° left, but instead it moves 15°? Or it is faster than it should be?
Not sure if I ever noticed it. If I did, then only very rarely.
Trumotion
True Motion :)

And...it is possible the drive is having some issues, but it's never failed on dual layer blurays, so it much be able to read a second layer.
Yes, but UHDs are harder to read or it's just this disc. So it can have issues with this one, but no other.

Just because a drive has no issue with Blu-ray it means absolutely nothing when it comes to reading UHD. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that it's an LG or Asus drive, right? They suck at triple layer discs. And no, Blu-ray double layer is not the same as UHD, so just because it can read a double layer Blu-ray doesn't mean it "should read the second layer on a UHD." This particular UHD is incredibly difficult to read. The fact that you're getting errors at that particular spot tells me you have the same problem a lot of us had. Look closely at the disc and you'll find circular scratches on it. If you do, you'll need to get the disc replaced. It seems to be a manufacturing defect and there's nothing you can do about it except replace the disc.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

I thought the LG's just suck at writing the second layer?
I own a BH16NS55 with Firmware 1.02 and have had very few issues with UHD discs.

No. The LGs have also sometimes trouble to read-in pressed 3-layer UHDs. They produce nasty sounds doing so and sometimes you have to eject and re-insert these discs. Flashed to WH16NS60 1.02 they do better than on firmware BH16NS55. However, Pioneers don't show this behavior at all.

The disc looks pristine - can't see any scratches - even after cleaning.

I do get some read-errors in the video before it craps out -> like...pixilation, colour variation (very bad) and other weirdness, glitches etc etc, so I feel it's a bad disc. I'm sending it back for a replacement.

Not going to bother messing with the drive. It's done everything I've wanted until this disc. Have to wait and see what a replacement achieves.

Back