• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Taking over an application which is being legally threatened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelvis Popcan

I know that Slysoft has in the past taken over applications that were either discontinued or crippled due to legal bullying.

If you've ever watched videos over the web via Flash streaming, many of these videos are streamed over RTMP. Adobe came out with a "secure" version of this called RTMPE.

The only application that could capture both RTMP and RTMPE was called Replay Media Catcher. This didn't just do a screen capture, it actually downloaded and saved the .flv files themselves. However, Adobe threatened them and RTMPE support was removed from Replay Media Catcher.

http://forum.applian.com/showthread.php?p=5936
Applian didn't change anything. Adobe did.

Applian didn't change plugin_zrtmp.dll for anyone who had it installed already.

But Adobe knew that no more rtmpe updates would be coming, so they made a simple change that stops the plugin_zrtmp.dll version that was working.

Note that the Applian is now sending a different version plugin_zrtmp.dll for new installations, but the previous version plugin_zrtmp.dll doesn't work either - so it really doesn't matter.

Also, Applian didn't change the version number of plugin_zrtmp.dll, even though they are sending a different file for new installations. It is still 5.2.6.9. They probably kept the same version number so that the rtmpe version would not be overwritten.

The way to tell the old and new versions apart is that the old plugin_zrtmp.dll (that supported rtmpe) is around 94k, the new version is around 74k. But again, both don't work on most rtmpe like hulu 480p.

It is sad the Applian was threatened to remove rtmpe support, as they are the only ones who had it. I'm sure Applian received legal advice and decided in their best interest, even considering that this will likely ruin sales of RMC.

The only hope now for rtmpe is if someone out of the legal reach of Adobe comes up with something.

RMC was really great while it lasted.

I would love to see a company like SlySoft buy this application so it could be properly supported outside of law shark infested waters.

Last edited:
A network sniffer is enough and then you would see url to flv file ;)

A network sniffer is enough and then you would see url to flv file ;)

Doesn't work for RTMP. Why would a product like Replay Media Catcher exist if "all you need is a network sniffer?" How do you download rtmp://www.blahblah...?

As it stands now, Replay Media Catcher does give you the address to RTMPE files. But it refuses to decrypt and download them because Adobe threatened the publisher.

Still a lot of misunderstanding out there on how RTMP and RTMPE works.

what the big deal with .flv files anyway?
they're hardly of a quality to do anything useful with them other than save them and watch on the computer.
most websites with video content stream as .flv or .wmv and these can normally be found in temp internet files folder anyway after viewing.

so why the need to rtmpe?
most popular/major video sites (ie youtube) don't use this streaming method.

what the big deal with .flv files anyway?
they're hardly of a quality to do anything useful with them other than save them and watch on the computer.

I still can't believe after all these years that these misconceptions still exist.

FLV can be ANY bitrate and ANY resolution. It can be HD resolution and quality, it can be DVD quality, it can be low resolution and low bitrate for poor quality. Just because YouTube's standard is low resolution + low bitrate FLV does not mean that this is all FLV is capable of.

Before RTMPE was implemented, I was able to download an entire series from abc.com (which was cancelled and at the time unavailable on DVD), transcode it to .mpg, burn it to DVD, and had a DVD quality result for my own private use. (And it was my fair use right to be able to do that.)

Last edited:
most websites with video content stream as .flv or .wmv and these can normally be found in temp internet files folder anyway after viewing.

Wrong again. There are TONS of sites that don't use the cache. And there are very few RTMP enabled programs that can download from RTMP://, Replay Media Catcher being one of them.

Before RTMPE was implemented, I was able to download an entire series from abc.com, transcode it to .mpg, burn it to DVD, and had a DVD quality result. (And it was my fair use right to be able to do that.)
then why cant you now??

i know flv can be any bitrate like other video formats.
but for convenience most sites use low (but very watchable) quality so that it can be streamed while you start watching it.
not everyone is has a brilliant broadband speed and indeed lots of people still use dial up.

i don't know how many sites do or don't use cache.
i don't visit tons of (inc. video) sites as i have better things to do than sit at a computer watching other peoples videos for hours on end.
but the little time i do spend watching youtube and one other site they do use cache.

at the end of the day if a site want's you to save a video,it'll "allow" you to do it.
if it doesn't want you to be able to save a video then it does that for a reason.

Last edited:
if it doesn't want you to be able to save a video then it does that for a reason.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. CSS is on DVDs for a reason. So you shouldn't back it up or make a copy? You sound like you support corporations telling you what you can and can't do privately with their media, so I'm not sure why you are even on this site, much less posting in my thread.

I grew up with VCR's and I still rememeber when they first came out there was a push from the studios to try to get them made illegal, but they failed.

It makes me very sad that nowadays, when I post a thread like this, I get resistance from end users who seem to want big companies telling them what they are allowed to do privately with their own equipment.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read
it was just a statement,mr popcan ("if it doesn't want you to be able to save a video then it does that for a reason").
and rightly or wrongly,rtmpe may end up becoming the norm for web based video.
why not just watch (whatever it is you a trying so desperately to download) on the webpage in question?
so you go to a site and try to grab the media url (with your program) to download the video file to save it to the pc and watch it on the pc.
the video's on the site is going nowhere.bookmark it and watch it when convenient instead?

CSS is on DVDs for a reason. So you shouldn't back it up or make a copy? You sound like you support corporations telling you what you can and can't do privately with their media

i do back-up my own dvd's which i have purchased.

backing-up dvd's you own is totally different to keeping/saving streaming media (as you dont own what is being streamed,unlike a dvd which you do).

so I'm not sure why you are even on this site
it wasn't me who asked slysoft to buy an application that assisted in getting hold of media you didn't own.

Last edited:
I would love to see a company like SlySoft buy this application so it could be properly supported outside of law shark infested waters.
it'll never happen because:

slysoft products enable safety/back-up copies of audio discs and dvd discs that are owned by the user of slysoft product(s).

slysoft do not support the back up of media that is not owned (ie purchased) by the user(s) of slysoft products.

Last edited:
Recording TV shows with a VCR is also "backing up media you don't own" according to you.

Look, I can plainly see that you have some sort of bizarre disdainful view on end users' rights to record broadcast content for their own personal use. (Are they drilling this into kids' brains in schools nowadays or something?) This thread was mainly to make Slysoft owners & developers aware of the situation with Replay Media Catcher (as SlySoft has purchased products in the past that were discontinued due to legal pressure), not for you to come in, point fingers and make accusations, and otherwise troll it.

You have made your view on the matter clear, so now please kindly vacate my thread.

You can purchase a TV series with Amazon unbox, then you do own it. They use flash to stream it to you so it would be nice to have a way to back that up. That way you could take it with you in the car if you wanted to.

The point has been made that Pelvis Popcan wishes a company like Slysoft would take over development of Replay Media Catcher.

There are disagreements over issues in this thread and, frankly, I believe nothing positive will come from the debate. Insults aren't necessary and we've already gotten to that point.

The thread exists. Opinions have been expressed. The developers can see it. No need for this to continue.

Thread closed. :policeman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back