• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SW developers ask for a donation and I never get a thanks - really annoyed

Jeff53404

Edit & Update: The following is not a reflection of RedfFox or Elaborate Bytes.

I just felt it was time for a rant:

I have used and kept many free software programs where the author suggests a donation. I always donate if I keep the program. To date, I have never received a thank you. I realize it would be automated but someone talented enough to write a program can take the time to automate a thank you. I know to check my spam folder but I'm batting a 100% (zero thanks).

Last edited:
Your point is? No redfox or elby program asks for donations. If you have a 'problem' with not being thanked, you have 2 options. 1) stop donating or 2) contact them through their respective website. There's nothing we can do for you here.

I said free programs. I did not mean RedFox or Elby and for their free programs, they don't ask for a donation. I do not want to mention the programs I have donated to but I'm still batting 100%. You misread my post and your response is an over reaction.

Ranting is good sometimes . :mad::whistle:
It's what the general chat is for right.
But anyway all I can say is......
Wow. I'd thank anybody that wants to support my cause. LOL . But I never have done the donation thing for SW because I'm not sure if I even have any . The only thing I know of that I use is protonmail and not to happy with them right now over the stripping of attachments and not owning up about it.
I guess VLC has one as well buy I just started using that for my mkv's, so I got a little bit to go before I'm willing to pay for it since I basically paid for PDVD even if it was bundled with a drive. Besides as long as I have the RedFox/Elby family of products I've already paid for what I need.

Here's a recent example: I use an add-on script blocker as some web pages were hanging up (Windows 7 and FireFox). The developer suggested a $2 donation so I did. I can think of at least 3 popular products where the donations didn't cover costs so they went paid versions.

I don't see any overreacting in that. You really do have 2 choices. Either you stop donating or you contact them. That's it. But I will agree that a small automated thanks, either through the software itself or by automated mail shouldn't be that hard to do.

In my opinion you have gotten the concept all wrong. If you download a piece of software, that actually is useful and works, and happens to be free. Then you should be thanking the author. That is what your donations says [Thank You!] Keep in mind, no matter how simple a piece of software may be, chances are a lot of work went into making it compatible with various operating systems and various different types of computers. They then have to find a site to store the program and secure bandwidth. All of this for free to you. With chances being writing code may not be their primary job.

Now keep in mind the software may be years old and available to the whole world. And also keep in mind not everyone wants their email address known to everyone. So they contribute anonymously. Automatic email response programs cost money and time to maintain. In short you are getting something useful for free, with the option of you donating some money for all the effort and time put into giving you something useful, for free.

The internet main purpose was for the sharing of ideas, information, knowledge and finished works. Among willing participants for free. Now the internet is just one big money grab. You would be amazed to find out just how many free programs have been grabbed by others, rebranded, and then put on sale for some ridiculous price. I have even seen some programs with modified installers that add other software to your computer, with your permission of course, if you are not paying attention. Be grateful for the free, your donation will say thank you, and the fact that you are using the software automatically says your welcome from the programmer.

I go back to the companies (no names) that stopped providing free versions and went to subscriptions because people weren't making donations. When a developer specifically asks for a donation if you use the software, I can only take that to mean they are asking for compensation. It only seems fair and the right thing to do. I do get what you're saying. By analogy, I suppose it's like not saying I love you after you've been married for so many years. It's just assumed. Still, it's nice to say and hear. My opinion is that SW developers should err on the side of politeness and program in an automated thank you.

Granted you are getting something for free. And every legit programmer gets my respect.
You are however most times doing alpha or beta testing as well. So you are risking your system if there is a major conflict. No matter how rare they are. Also alot of these free ware apps are somebody's side project their doing for fun or to learn how to do something different. And it's something they want to use and not just making it for others.

Sorry, I may have edited the OP comments!! I have used "donation" software. I always donate if I keep and use the program on at least a weekly basis. To date, I have never received a thank you. I live in the US. I have made donations to the US, 2 in The UK and Israel. Only the US replied with a Thank You. His software is Mature. The others are not Mature. I donate because I feel I use the software that I should and can donate. Since three haven't bothered even a automatic reply further donations are questionable.

I may have screwed-up an earlier comment. I donate if I keep and use the program on at least a weekly basis. I live in the US. I have made donations to the US, 2 in The UK and Israel. Only the US replied with a Thank You. His software is Mature, i.e., room for further development. The others are not Mature. I donate because I feel I use the software and that I should and can donate (~$25US). Since three haven't bothered to reply even a automatic reply further donations are questionable. One software is "USED" by many readers on this forum. Yes, I look in the SPAM filters all the time. In the OLD days, 1 in 10 users bought or donated software. It must be lower.

I have used and kept many free software programs where the author suggests a donation. I always donate if I keep the program. To date, I have never received a thank you. I realize it would be automated but someone talented enough to write a program can take the time to automate a thank you. I know to check my spam folder but I'm batting a 100% (zero thanks).
Like the MOD says stop donating or contact them and ask where did you donation go. Posting or not on here does nothing to that donation as no one here has any choice in that. If you don't make effort to make a reasonable question and not be combative about your donations majority of the time you do get a reply back. What they do and how they respond is up to that developer and what they decide and if you don't like to donate to them then don't donate and tell them why so that they will remember your reply.

I have a whole different opinion on this subject, and I will post it and not speak of it again. If you use freeware and its good, a donation is something that you make the choice of giving. I personally do not need a pat on the back. The enjoyment of using the authors software that he donated to me was enough. In turn I donated to him in a way of support. A pat on the back " thank you " is not needed. Only my humble opinion.

Back