• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Survey: 4x the best??

RDR

Want to get feedback on the optimum burn speed for best results. Nero Forums say 4x and never faster than 16x. What say all?

Want to get feedback on the optimum burn speed for best results. Nero Forums say 4x and never faster than 16x. What say all?
I burn all media at 12X (DVD) but I only use Verbatim 16X + media and sometimes Taiyo Yuden 16X + media. All other media is burned at 8X.

I also burn all of my 16X media at 12X and my 8X media at 8X.

Even with my PX-760A I still tend to burn at 12x even on the 16x media I have. It works out nicely.

Nope, that's a myth!

There is no one-answer-covers-all response for this question. It just depends upon your burner, it's firmware, the media you use, even the batch of the media you are currently using, etc..

The best bet is to get a burner that's capable of reporting error levels to Nero CDSpeed and doing disc quality scans to see how your drive performs with the media you are using.

Personally I use a BenQ 1620 & 1650 for a burner I've found that Taeo Yuden 8x discs burnt at 8x give me the best and most consistent results, but again - your mileage may vary.

This "burn slow for the best quality" is just a myth that's been around for quite a while (in fact on my burner it'll give much poorer quality burns!). It was very predominate in the PS2 & XBox communities for a long time and the "Gurus" on the various forums would throw a kaniption if you dared to not agree with them! Back then I think LiteOn drives with KProbe was about the only setup to do error scanning so many couldn't scan and just blindly followed the Gurus. Now that error reporting drives are more common and CDSpeed works with several of them I think this myth is finally dieing.

Anyway, get a drive that reports errors and can be used with CDSpeed and do some investigating for yourself.

-Bob-

I agree w/ all the others.
I haven't burned at 4x in over 2 years unless it was 4x media :)

Good drive and media - 8x has been my minimum.

I burn at the speed that the media is rated at.

8x seems to be the sweet spot. I used to burn @ 16x when I first started out and even with name branded media some dvd players had trouble playing. Used same media and same players @ 8x and no problema!
Nowadays I buy bulk from Supermedia
http://www.supermediastore.com
I love printable dvds, and stick to Verbatim and Philips 8x media and never have a problem.

I use 16x media and burn Drive to Disk at 8X and Disk to Disk at 4x.

Mostly just limitations that I imposed, based on the speed of the (older) burning computer and how well the buffers were keeping up.

If Nero allowed me to go 6X on Disk to Disk, I could prolly do that.

Any coasters I get, are almost always the result of operator error.

-W

I always burn @ 4x.

I started out using Memorex DVD-Rs, but I was scared off and now I use TDK DVD-Rs. For the money, Not bad discs.

I use a Lite-On external DVD burner with lightscribe/DL options.

I always burn @ 4x.

I started out using Memorex DVD-Rs, but I was scared off and now I use TDK DVD-Rs. For the money, Not bad discs.

I use a Lite-On external DVD burner with lightscribe/DL options.

hate to break it to you but alot of the TDK media will code out as CMC mag (same as the memorex) .using Taiyo Yuden and or Verbatim is your best bet. download DVD Identifier to see what the TDK code out as

hate to break it to you but alot of the TDK media will code out as CMC mag (same as the memorex) .using Taiyo Yuden and or Verbatim is your best bet. download DVD Identifier to see what the TDK code out as

My grey TDK DVD-Rs are CMC MAG AM3 media.

No wonder I love them!

I'm a fan of CMC MAG AM3 media.

I burn at the speed that the media is rated at.
This mostly true for all but some 16X rated media. I get better burns at 12X with 16X media, even the good stuff like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, a 12X burn is only a few seconds slower and in my humble opinion, a better option.;)

Back