• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Support for multi-core CPU's

Defenestration

I have a quad core CPU, but it only maxes out one of the cores when creating a video file. I know it uses mencoder, which is open-source, so is multi-core support planned any time soon ?

Now, I've realized that CloneDVD mobile creates a separate movie for each title, would it be possible to make it launch multiple mencoder processes - one for each title, up to a maximum of the number of cores. This way, all cores could be utilized, without the need to make mencoder.exe multi-threaded internally.

It would be nice if the user could specify the max number of cores to use, so some cores could also be left free for some other task, when required.

Admittedly this would require the interface to be re-jigged slightly to show progress for each mencoder process, but the potential speed gains would certainly offset this effort.

I have a quad core CPU, but it only maxes out one of the cores when creating a video file. I know it uses mencoder, which is open-source, so is multi-core support planned any time soon ?

lavcopts=threads=2
lavcopts=threads=3
lavcopts=threads=4

for dual, tri and quad procs, respectively.

:edit: For those with dual socket boards; lavcopts=threads=8
for dual-quads!
It would be nice if the user could specify the max number of cores to use, so some cores could also be left free for some other task, when required.
No need to change CDM for that!
Load the number of CDMs you want to run.

In NT, XP, ME, 2000, and Vista Server 2001+ and Longhorn, load the task manager (right click on the task bar).

Click the Process(es) tab. Right click each CDM separately and chose and chose set affinity.
Select the CPU you wish to run on.

(Just a note to noobs and those not COMPLETELY confident in what they are doing. If you are not trained in this don't use it for other programs, especially windows processes. changing windows settings for windows programs could destabilize windows, BSOD, or just plain crash and die :doh:)

Last edited:
As someone else mentioned in the "Extention" thread, this just seems to spread the load over more than one core, but it doesn't really speed up the process much.

I would still like to see better support for multi-core CPU's in cloneDVD mobile, so that multiple mencoder.exe processes are launched (one for each title). This would make a big difference, as times would be cut by nearly 2 on a dual-core and 4 on a quad core.

The new Visual C++ 2008 compiler works this way when the /MP switch is used. It compiles multiple source files at once. (Note: If no max number is specified with the /MP switch, it just uses the number of cores + 1 as the max value)

No need to change CDM for that!
Load the number of CDMs you want to run.

In NT, XP, ME, 2000, and Vista Server 2001+ and Longhorn, load the task manager (right click on the task bar).

Click the Process(es) tab. Right click each CDM separately and chose and chose set affinity.
Select the CPU you wish to run on.
Yes, this works, but it would be better if there was an option in CDM to take the hassle out of using all cores.

Back