• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Summer will bring a GPU war

GT200 55nm to challenge R700

If I had already a GT200 series card this would make me cry and want to strangle someone:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8391&Itemid=34

No real date is given but I expect it will be as soon as NVIDIA can pull it off. A smaller die means they can get more speed out of the card and they can possibly even lower the power consumption.

I grudgingly became an NVIDIA consumer upon the death of 3dfx. I still own a 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 that looks brand new. For quite a few years NVIDIA proved they deserved my money when I made purchases. Yes, they made a mistake with the FX cards and I completely skipped that generation but ATI just never offered me enough to make switching worth my time. NVIDIA lost me to ATI with the release of the Radeon HD 4870.

Last edited:
If those happen to support Directx 11, then I might do both.

No. Very very doubtful.

What I write below is purely speculation. I have no inside information.

DirectX 11 will likely ship with Windows 7 but it will be released before that and will run under Vista. DirectX 11 won't ship until probably somewhere in mid-2009 if not later, I would think.

I find the timing of the announcement of DirectX 11 to be very... suspicious. Both ATI and NVIDIA just released some serious new offerings with no hint of DirectX 11 and right after the release then we hear about it. It was kept under wraps, IMHO.

I question whether the very reason NVIDIA did not add DirectX 10.1 to the GT200 series cards was because they know DirectX 11 is coming and decided to not waste the time on it.

What I am saying is purely speculation, btw, but I believe they kept DirectX 11 under wraps because people might have decided to wait it out before purchasing a new card and it's probably a year or more off. So, they didn't announce it until after this generation of cards was released. Users do have some valid reason to be annoyed, IMHO, but between Microsoft releasing DirectX 11, card makers supporting DirectX 11, and game studios actually using DirectX 11, I think we have breathing room.

In short, it's marketing and not a conspiracy in terms of DirectX 11.

As far as the GT200 shrinking from 65nm to 55nm, I believe NVIDIA greatly underestimated ATI to begin with and now is trying to make up for that error. The downside is they may alienate the people who paid a lot of money for their 65nm GT200 cards. I wonder if they will allow a trade-in program. People who wisely went with EVGA may get off real easy.

No. Very very doubtful.

What I write below is purely speculation. I have no inside information.

DirectX 11 will likely ship with Windows 7 but it will be released before that and will run under Vista. DirectX 11 won't ship until probably somewhere in mid-2009 if not later, I would think.

Yeah, that's what I think as well.

Back