Suggestion - Keep thumnails in Cache

Discussion in 'AnyStream' started by DeepSpace, Jan 29, 2021.

1. DeepSpace

DeepSpace Well-Known Member

It seems that AS deletes the thumnails/ cover when closing the downloadables dialog (on Amz, not sure about NF) and downloading them again when reopening the dialog.

I tried it a few times and after reopening the dialog the thumnails where gone with Loading Artwort... message in place of them.

If I'm right, could it be possible to make a cache and only delete the thumnails when closing AS or do it manually? Because there are big seasons and it is not possible to download them in one run. In this case it is better to delete them manually when I'm done with the season.

It is mainly a concern on Amz jp, bc I have to use VPN there and sometimes the thumnails are loading for a time. But also on Amz without a VPN.

2. Prospere

Prospere RedFox Development Team

None of the artwork items is ever downloaded unless it has to be shown. Otherwise in certain cases it may lead to a tremendous waste of memory (at least).

3. DeepSpace

I know that but when I REopen the downloadables dialog it seems to download them again.
    Why not keep them unless I'm done with this season? Especially when I use a VPN and it takes some seconds to download them.
    Of course it can take a huge amount of memory when saving all images, but I'm only talking about the current season. And after I leave the page from that season or close AS, they can be deletet.
    (And I don't think there should be a memory problem with some small thumbnails when I have enough space to download the entire season).

4. Prospere

Prospere RedFox Development Team

I see. Well, I do not say it's not an option, but it may be a cumbersome process (merely due to the differences in implementations of different providers). Anyway, if it's not a show-stopper (which I personally believe it is not) it will be taken care a bit later. I added this to my list.
    I was referring to RAM, rather than persistent storage on disk.

DeepSpace likes this.
  5. DeepSpace

This is absolutely ok, I was mainly curious to talk about it. And no, it is no show-stopper at all, only a bit annoying when I use (slow) VPN.

I already thought that too, but I also think that RAM should be not a big problem nowadays.
    Anyway, there could be a button to clean the Temp when a user needs more space or to switch it off entirely if someone don't care about this at all.