• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Subtitles - which is better - SRT or embedded?

lajoes

I'm hoping that I'll get older, and if I succeed in doing so, I know I'll want to revisit titles to refresh my memory or to [re-]discover them, which ever comes first. :rockingchair:

So, which is the better way to DL the subtitles - as a separate SRT file or embedded?

I've learned that if I DL it as a SRT, I can play the title back through my DVD/BD player (stereo equipment, not PC related). The only problem with this set up is that if I fast forward the video, the SRT audio track doesn't advance to keep pace.

If the audio is embedded, the DVD/BD player doesn't recognize it and there the title is speaking in tongues.

FYI, I'm not streaming the title, just attaching a storage device to the player so I can use its remote to control playback. Also the player will upscale the video.

.....Spoiler Alert: Ch3vr0n corrected me about this question: it should be titled Subtitles not soundtrack....

Last edited:
I prefer to save it to srt, I don't always need them most of the time (unless there is another language or if they speek very quiet. I could not understand a single word in a scene when I went to my en episode of Strange New Worlds and watched a few minutes of it).
Also I can easily open and edit them in case I want to look inside or remove stuff that is not necessary. I have never really done that, but it is much more convenient to do it that way I think.
And if I ever have to watch on another device (happens sometimes), I just burn them in. No need to deal with these (censored) players and TVs that are fairly new but cannot play everything.

DS, so you're saying the best overall choice to DL the title with the closed captioning audio embedded instead of a separate SRT file?

Thanks for clarifying that DS.

Also I can easily open and edit them
I just double click on the file and the editor will open. With embedded subs I have to open the editor, then open the video...
And I don't have to merge around if I only want to have one sub when I copy it, I just copy the one srt I want and done.
Sure, it clutters the Explorer window since you have all files instead of only a clean look onto the mp4 files, but then I have to open each file using the player (and look into the sub selection menu) or MediaInfo and scroll down till you find them to see what subs you have for that episode... useless. As soon as I open the folder, I can directly see if there even are any subs and which one.

So for me there is absolutly no point in saving them embedded, unless you only download forced subs with the other languages inside and no other. But still then I would like to have easy access to edit them fast, because the providers (and TV channels) like to make stupid things with subs. Caps, useless stuff other than the text, two persons at the same line but with different colors or the name at it, other text than what the person is actually saying...
Example: "I went home last night. It was raining, and I was late."
The subs: "I was late, and when I came home last night, it rained."

just a quick note: soundtrack= the audio/sound you hear. srt (embedded or not) is a subtitle track ;)

Ch3vr0n - you're right once again.

I got hung up on the word "soundtrack" because of my other question about soundtracks.

I see if I can edit my original post from soundtrack to subtitles.

Back