• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Subtitles - Tip if struggling to determine non-English spoken parts

Calleo

Apols if this post is best sat elsewhere.

On occasion I've muxed a movie or TV episode whereby before actual viewing I wasn't sure whether there were any non-English speaking parts, and may not have been obvious within e.g. AP, Nfx or other places on the web, such as that very helpful site with the shared and occasionally updated spread sheet resource I've made good use of. Or such as Subscene (other flavours are available), where I'd search for 'foreign parts only' or 'non-English parts' but discovered there was not always anything obvious for some titles.

So I did some experimentation and out of curiosity I downloaded a Korean version of subs which on my closer analysis gleaned that I could do a <Ctrl> - F find search for all characters with the quotation symbol (") which tended to show the timestamp for (1) English only dialect parts (obviously the text was still in the Korean format), and (2) English signage, such as when a location pops up or some other non-spoken parts have been filmed e.g. the text on a phone or computer VDU.

Ok, so the hits were still foreign to me but I was then able to grab a full English .srt file and by simple data washing fairly quickly could marry up the Korean 'hits' to the English spoken counterparts.

Of course, there wasn't always a Korean version present but in another test, I found by interrogating a German .srt file that all the English dialect and signage, albeit in that native language, happened to be capitalised, so this ultimately also helped me remux a movie how I wanted. I'm guessing other languages may offer similar clues ?

I have only had to do this for a handful of flicks, and didn't find this process unduly time consuming or laborious, and was careful not to concentrate too much on the English dialogue being copy / pasted into the relevant time stamps to help avoid any potential 'spoilers' for my future viewing.

I don't know if there may be easier methods perhaps a few wizened folk out there may know about? Either way - being the caring / sharing chap that I am - hopefully this may assist others in a similar boat.

Thanks for this. Always good to hear other's tips on managing and cleaning up subs.
Some of the production studios, or subbing companies, seemed to have become very sloppy with subtitling over the last few years.

Simple data washing...

I know some of those words. :) That's an impressive process and investigation that you did!

I've gotten into subtitles in the past couple years for a family member and have found that whether the subtitle comes from disc or (especially) a download from Subscene or wherever, it's good practice to, at the very least, spell check it.

Back