• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Subtitles stop during play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoop

Hi,

Okay, using CloneDVDMoblile v1.9.0.1 and AnyDVD v7.1.3.0, I've been having trouble with two dvds and their subtitles.

The first dvd is Scream 3 (R2). I've been using the generic mp4 profile to create a video for my iPad. I need to have subs as I'm deaf, but with this dvd I get about 50 minutes through the video and then the subtitles disappear. For the rest of the movie - about an hour left at this point - there're no subs at all.
I've since deleted the video and tried again. Same thing - and at exactly the same point in the movie. I deleted that video too and just tried a few scenes of the movie. Attached are the logs for this smaller, test video, which again doesn't have subtitles, despite selecting them in the menu.
Tried the dvd with Freemake Video Converter (apologies if mentioning this software breaches forum rules) and the subs appear all through the movie. Incidently, using Freemake took half the time to create the video too...

Next dvd is a BBC dvd of the TV series Last Tango in Halifax (R2); The mp4s created with this dvd don't have subs at all. Once again I tried Freemake converter and the subs are in the video.
Attached are the logs for this dvd too. Again, I just did a quick test video and got the logs from that.

It's not too much of a problem for me, since I've been able to get mp4s with subs using Freemake, but I'd rather use CloneDVD Mobile, since I paid for the program and, who knows,it might help someone else out...

Sorry for the long post :)

Snoop

Attachments

• scream 3.zip
    20.4 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_7.1.3.0_Info_F_SCREAM3.zip
    167.7 KB · Views: 0
  • AnyDVD_7.1.3.0_Info_G_BBCDVD3677.zip
    126.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Last Tango.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
Do the original DVDs have subtitles show at the point they disappear in the backups?

Yeah the subs play fine on the original DVDs.

It's not just mp4s either; I tried the generic divx profile for Scream 3 too and the same thing happens.

Maybe clonedvdmobile is more discerning than Freemake and it's picked up on a problem with the subtitles that Freemake doesn't care about? Don't really know how these things work :)

Known

We've seen this once before on a Support ticket and not trying to sound like we're stonewalling this but there is very little we can do about this scenario. Where would one begin to look for such an element simply "stopping"?

We will have a beta in the next two weeks and Fernando claims he has fixed a lot of discs from the recent past so let's wait to see if the engine changes fix this. Sorry we don't have better news.

Edit 21 August 2013: contrary to hopes and intentions Fernando did not fix this as yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Oh ok cheers Frank. I was gonna post that I'd had trouble with another disc (don't have log files for that one since I'm in work at the moment) but if it's a known problem I won't bother.

I'll keep an eye out for the beta version and try that when it's released and keep using Freemake in the interim as a workaround.

As I said in an earlier post, I'd prefer to use clonedvdmobile since it's a paid program and the support is usually excellent, but I don't understand why it was working fine and then suddenly stopped working. I did the other Scream films at the same time (3 instances of clonedvdmobile running) and those were fine with the subs, it's only since Scream 3 that every disc I've tried since doesn't show subtitles.

Thanks anyway.

authoring issue

I'll keep an eye out for the beta version and try that when it's released and keep using Freemake in the interim as a workaround.

As I said in an earlier post, I'd prefer to use clonedvdmobile since it's a paid program and the support is usually excellent, but I don't understand why it was working fine and then suddenly stopped working. I did the other Scream films at the same time (3 instances of clonedvdmobile running) and those were fine with the subs, it's only since Scream 3 that every disc I've tried since doesn't show subtitles.

Thanks anyway.

Yes, it is maddening when things like this come up but it can be a series of circumstances. Software does not "break". Environmental issues changing can cause a previously perfect process to fail suddenly. Sometimes a change in some other program can lead to weird "fails now" scenario. Anti-virus programs can cause such failures. In any event, such a failure is nearly impossible to find. As it turns out in this case some changes made by the industry in the way things link together.

Just for information purposes: titles used to be linked to just one VTS and then we would simply hook the VOB/CELL bricks one after another. However, the industry changed this concept. After each CELL they jump to a new CELL somewhere else. Another VTS, another VOB another CELL. The smooth 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 became 19,5,94,1,66,9,18 and all the CELLs between them e.g. 2,3,4,6 etc. are bogus, broken sectors, nonsense. In other words: useless to us.

So, this problem is, e.g. VTS #1 has defined Stream 80 as English, Stream 81 as German and VTS #2 now can be Stream 80 as German and Stream 81 as English. Everything
mixed up. And because Mobile isn't designed to see these jumps it switches languages because it sticks to Stream 80. Same with subtitles, it sticks to Stream 20 even if after a VTS change the subtitle stream switched.

This is a design issue that appears now since the industry altered their chaining method. CloneDVD mobile was developed when all this made logical sense and we'll have to do some major reworking to pick up this subtitle stopping issue and other similar problems caused by the stream getting switched and mobile's engine not going along.

Last edited:
Wow comprehensive explanation Frank (if a little over my head :))

Appreciate you taking the time to explain it though.

Ok, thought I'd give a little update...

Subtitles seem to be working again, at least on the few DVDs I've tested this evening. The only one it's not worked on is Scream 3 (which I've also tested again this evening); it still only has subtitles on the first 50 minutes of the video and then they go off. Same point in the movie as before.

So basically, over the last week, CloneDVDMobile was working fine with subtitles, then it had trouble with a couple of discs (but was fine with others), then it stopped putting subs on ANY of my videos, and now it's ok again (save for Scream 3). Go figure...

Don't know what the problem was, but I'd like to thank Frank for helping and taking time to reply to my posts.

Cheers :)

Edit: Ok, just tried Scream 3 again, but this time I used the scissors to cut the beginning of the film and started the rip/conversion at the scene where the subs normally cut off and the subs are in the final video - in the part of the movie where they weren't before. BUT this video gets about half way through and then the subs go off again...???

Last edited:
Subtitles disappear while playing

I have been using Clove DVD Mobile to convert my dvds to an mp4 format to be saved on my Compter so that they can be streamed to my AV system. I like to have the subtitles on the movie so the sound can be low. I have converted about 20 movies and about 60% of them the subtitles only show for the first few chapters then disappear. Has anyone else had that issue?

Thanks for the reply, Furry

Its good to know that I'm not the only one with the issue.
Im going to try different ways of processing the original dvd to see if I can circumvent this issue.

Cheers

It's the internal linking

The FFMPEG engine we are using has some native problems and as the industry changed the way the cells are linking CloneDVD mobile lost contact with this property and we apologize for the inconvenience. In parallel with the Slyce development this function will be run from a different engine. That will take time, however. At the moment there is no solution. :(

I ran into a similar problem with "Flight". Subtitles worked till about midway of the movie and it just stopped. I used the 1901. I tried it again but with the 1806, same results.

Another issue, Downton Abbey season 3. Subtitles didn't appear at all, even though I double checked and clicked on English subtitles. I used both 1901 and 1806, nothing. I played the DVDs and the subtitles works just fine.

By the way, Snoop, I'm Deaf too. Perhaps we can compare subtitles notes. :)

Yes, we know.

I ran into a similar problem with "Flight". Subtitles worked till about midway of the movie and it just stopped. I used the 1901. I tried it again but with the 1806, same results.

We know about this and won't be fixing it any time soon.

See #6 above in this thread. The rules got changed and that means the original method of processing no longer works.

It is hoped when we leverage the Slyce mobile device engine into mobile this will resolve the issue once and all with FFMPEG.

just to report...

I have run into the same issue with two DVDs, and they are older DVDs, so I don't know if that means anything...
Ghibli discs Whisper of the Heart 耳をすませば and Princess Mononoke もののけ姫
Both are about 10 year old DVDs, so they can't have the new encoding, and the other discs I have from Ghibli work fine, but these two stop with subs maybe 1/2 of they way through and then never start again. It is just odd.
Thanks!

It can be odd al it wants

I have run into the same issue with two DVDs, and they are older DVDs, so I don't know if that means anything...
Ghibli discs Whisper of the Heart 耳をすませば and Princess Mononoke もののけ姫
Both are about 10 year old DVDs, so they can't have the new encoding, and the other discs I have from Ghibli work fine, but these two stop with subs maybe 1/2 of they way through and then never start again. It is just odd.
Thanks!

These can be stone-age DVDs but there is nothing we can or will do about this fading out of subtitles in CloneDVD mobile until we are ready to take over the engine that Slyce will use for this purpose. Sorry.

CLOSING this thread. No solution possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back