• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Strategy: Archiving 2 BDs + 1 DVD on 21 DVD+Rs

CuddlySquid

Hi All,

I'm asking what you think of this strategy and whether you know of any tools that will help. Are you using a strategy? What can you recommend?

Thank you very much.

Step 1 - Make 3 ISO files:
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso" (46,141,472,768 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Supremacy.iso" (8,524,167,168 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso" (43,712,400,668 bytes)
Step 2 - Slice them into 23 files, each 4,700,370,944 bytes (Note 1)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.1of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.2of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.3of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.4of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.5of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.6of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.7of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.8of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.9of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Identity.iso.10of10" (3,838,134,272 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Supremacy.iso.1of3" (862,236,672 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Supremacy.iso.2of3" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Supremacy.iso.3of3" (2,961,559,552 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.1of10" (1,738,811,392 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.2of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.3of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.4of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.5of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.6of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.7of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.8of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.9of10" (4,700,370,944 bytes)
"c:\temp\The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.10of10" (3,147,873,564 bytes)
Note 1: 4,700,370,944 bytes is 2,295,103 DVD+R sectors (2048 bytes each), which leaves 1 DVD+R sector for the root directory.

Step 3 - Burn 21 DVD+Rs:
"The Bourne Identity.iso.1of10"
"The Bourne Identity.iso.2of10"
"The Bourne Identity.iso.3of10"
"The Bourne Identity.iso.4of10"
"The Bourne Identity.iso.5of10"
"The Bourne Identity.iso.6of10"
"The Bourne Identity.iso.7of10"
"The Bourne Identity.iso.8of10"
"The Bourne Identity.iso.9of10"
"The Bourne Identity.iso.10of10"+"The Bourne Supremacy.iso.1of3"
"The Bourne Supremacy.iso.2of3"
"The Bourne Supremacy.iso.3of3"+"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.1of10"
"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.2of10"
"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.3of10"
"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.4of10"
"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.5of10"
"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.6of10"
"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.7of10"
"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.8of10"
"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.9of10"
"The Bourne Ultimatum.iso.10of10"
Step 2 could be automated. Do you know of any tool (script?) that will automatically query the names & sizes of the ISOs that it finds in it's directory, then do the calculations and the slicing?

Step 3 could be automated. Do you know of any tool (script?) that will automatically do the interactive, recursive burning, verifying, and pausing (for loading a new blank DVD+R)?

Hi All,

I'm asking what you think of this strategy and whether you know of any tools that will help. Are you using a strategy? What can you recommend?

Thank you very much.

Step 1 - Make 3 ISO files:
Step 2 - Slice them into 23 files, each 4,700,370,944 bytes (Note 1)Note 1: 4,700,370,944 bytes is 2,295,103 DVD+R sectors (2048 bytes each), which leaves 1 DVD+R sector for the root directory.

Step 3 - Burn 21 DVD+Rs:
Step 2 could be automated. Do you know of any tool (script?) that will automatically query the names & sizes of the ISOs that it finds in it's directory, then do the calculations and the slicing?

Step 3 could be automated. Do you know of any tool (script?) that will automatically do the interactive, recursive burning, verifying, and pausing (for loading a new blank DVD+R)?

NO I do not know of any tool that will do this. Why are they in .iso if you want to play them on a desktop BD Player?

Thanks so much for your reply.
NO I do not know of any tool that will do this. Why are they in .iso if you want to play them on a desktop BD Player?
Desktop BD player? No. While at home, I watch BDs in my home theater.

The sliced-up '.iso' files would serve 2 purposes:
1, As backup (all I need are '.iso' files), -or-
2, If I want to show a movie at a friend's house, but I don't want to bring the DVD or BD -- for example, they don't have a BD drive, then I can simply assemble the parts to make the original '.iso' file, then take my laptop and a HDMI cable to their house and mount the '.iso' file in Virtual CloneDrive.

Unless, of course, you have a better idea.

There's no good reason to split a iso's up like that. All it takes is 1 deep enough scratch in on of the discs to make it unreadable and you end up with 20 other useless discs too. Because they can't be reassembled without the scratched one. Shrink them using CloneBD or CloneDVD or make movie-only portable files (avi, mkv,...) of them and put those on a stick if u need to. That way you won't waste A buckload of time and 2 dozens discs if one gets scratched.

There's no good reason to split a iso's up like that. All it takes is 1 deep enough scratch in on of the discs to make it unreadable and you end up with 20 other useless discs too.
I don't think a disc will get scratched, but I appreciate that replacement might be an issue, but why would the other 20 discs be useless? Couldn't I simply reburn the one that got "scratched" (or more likely: oxidized)?
Because they can't be reassembled without the scratched one.
That's true, but why do you think I couldn't just replace the "scratched" one?
Shrink them using CloneBD or CloneDVD or make movie-only portable files (avi, mkv,...) of them and put those on a stick if u need to.
Why?

I'm somewhat mystified by your reply. I do appreciate it, but unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't see your point. The fault is undoubtedly mine. Kindly respond if I'm misunderstanding.

Thanks & Ciao.

What is the advantage of splitting up *.iso files in this way?

Hi Erich,
What is the advantage of splitting up *.iso files in this way?
So that they'll fit on DVD+Rs. (I don't have a BD burner.)

I once had an MSDOS-CLI program that would cleanly slice binary files, but I don't remember its name. But such a simple task can probably be accomplished via PHP or Perl etc.

Reconstructing the original '.iso' file is simple of course via the MSDOS-CLI "copy /b" command or PHP or Perl etc.

Would it not be easier to save the 3 ISO files to an external HDD/stick, then plug that into your laptop and mount the ISO for playback at your friends house. Then just delete the ISO files when finished and repeat with the next movies you want to watch at a friends house.

Would it not be easier to save the 3 ISO files to an external HDD/stick, then plug that into your laptop and mount the ISO for playback at your friends house. Then just delete the ISO files when finished and repeat with the next movies you want to watch at a friends house.

Hi,

My objective is to back-up my DVDs & BDs. How to back-up... Ah! '.iso' files! Then it occurs to me that once I've backed-up my movies to '.iso' files, I can also use those '.iso' files as a portable library.

Edit...
I could just bring the movie DVD/BD to my friends house and play it on my laptop, but I might lose the disc, leave it at my friend's house, scratch it, etc.

Last edited:
This is a never ending endeavor...

1. Make a single ISO that you can mount and play...not that hard to do if you already have the software.
2. Too many files potential for errors that will render any playback useless
3. Single ISO of a BD movie to mount and play alot less time and headache to watch the move
4. Use CloneBD to make it smaller to fit on DVD play
5. BD players are not that expensive nowdays so to say not having one is a poor argument to make.

So in the end alot of wasted time when it could've been done more efficiently.

This is a never ending endeavor...

1. Make a single ISO that you can mount and play...not that hard to do if you already have the software.
2. Too many files potential for errors that will render any playback useless
3. Single ISO of a BD movie to mount and play alot less time and headache to watch the move
4. Use CloneBD to make it smaller to fit on DVD play
5. BD players are not that expensive nowdays so to say not having one is a poor argument to make.

So in the end alot of wasted time when it could've been done more efficiently.

Okay, you tell me this: How do I back up a BD without a BD writer?

Get a bd drive? That's like $20-30. Shrinking full size iso's is a way better option and far less risk involving that splitting it up over 21 dvd's

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Umm2

A 2TB hard drive will hold 90% of that when compressed.

If your bd drive isn't a burner, everything. You can't burn to blank bd's with a bd-rom drive.

What do I mean? What i said the first time. Shrink the bd iso's like you can for dvd's with clonedvd. Mount the bd iso's in vcd or load them directly in CloneBD, shrink them to single layer size, burn them and you're done. That's 3 discs you need and not 21.

A 2TB hard drive will hold 90% of that when compressed.

A hard drive is not an archival media. To be reliable, I would need two 2-TB drives in mirror or as a RAID. That's about $200. I can buy 2-layer DVD+Rs for a lot less than that.

Look, I've been thinking about this for a long time.

If your bd drive isn't a burner, everything.
I don't understand.
You can't burn to blank bd's with a bd-rom drive.
Of course not. I know you are telling me this for a good reason, I just can't figure out what it is.
What do I mean? What i said the first time. Shrink the bd iso's like you can for dvd's with clonedvd.
No thanks. I want full resolution, 1920x1080, 24p BD images.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I want full resolution, 1920x1080, 24p BD images.

Thank you for your suggestions.

You don't get it, shrinking in output size (CloneBD/clonedvd) is not the same as shrinking image resolution (RESCALING!). 2 completely different things.

CloneBD: can shrink a double layer bd50 down to single layer size (bd25) or even smaller. That's got absolutely nothing to do with downscaling image resolution. Bd50 to bd25 still is 1920*1080@24p. The only difference is that you don't need 45gb discs but the cheaper 23.5g discs which cost about the same as a DVD DL and the image quality is exactly the same.

You're mixing up file size with file resolution.

Back