• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Stranger Than Fiction

DVDXCopy isn't outdated. They are under a new company name called DVDXpress.
I prefer using it because it gives a near perfect picture quality and it rips AND compresses at the same time in one step.

I wouldn't get that. Just my opinion and yes dvd x copy is outdated now.

Webslinger,
When I do a D/L I use PgcEdit and it uses ImgBurn to automatically burn the DVD. I really have not found that many DVD's where I want the whole disk. I really just want the movie as that is what the boys watch. If they want the extra's then I pull the original out.

Since everything is on a Clonecd backup, the point about only requiring a main movie seems irrelevant to me. Also, Anydvd's "remove annoying adverts and trailers" works often enough for what I want. If I had to sit through an hour or more of using dvd rebuilder with a half-decent encoder, I'd go stir crazy (and if I wanted what I consider to be the absolute best, Procoder is not cheap).

Now if the price of D/L ever gets to $1.00 or less per D/L Verb then that is all I will use.

That's how much they cost for me recently, and even at $1.60-$1.90 per disc, it would still be worth it to me not to have to waste
my time transcoding or worse, encoding.

But some people do prefer less cost in favour of more time spent. To each, his or her own . . .

Last edited:
HC encoder can sometimes match the quality of Procoder and with the new version, it is even faster! Run a couple DVDs overnight and they'll be done when you wake up. ;)

Why don't you at least get rid of a lot of the crap they put on the DVD? Or run it through PgcEdit to fix a few things?

HC encoder can sometimes match the quality of Procoder and with the new version, it is even faster!

It's not quite as good as Procoder, still. But HC is definitely the best free one.

Run a couple DVDs overnight and they'll be done when you wake up. ;)

No way, bro . . .

By the way, is it really that much cheaper in the end? Wear and tear on my system, more electricity, etc. Regardless, I'm pretty impatient.

Why don't you at least get rid of a lot of the crap they put on the DVD? Or run it through PgcEdit to fix a few things?

"Remove annoying adverts and trailers" generally works fine for me. And if not, I can easily skip it on my remote (while some people are still encoding ;) ) . . .

It's not quite as good as Procode, I know. But it can match it at some points. And it being free is a plus! I donated to it.

I could never backup a movie the way you do. I like tweaking and removing stuff from the DVD as much as I can. Then I use DVD Rebuilder and depending on the look of the original, I use filters to clean it up.

As you said, each to their own I guess :p

And that's where I largely differ. Unless the film is one in a million, the bonus material is of little interest to me. Watch it from the drive, watch whatever bonus I see fit, and then transcode (movie only) / burn / shutdown on the overnight. A cheap DVD-5 is all I ever need.

-W

Last edited:
Use CloneDVD to rip, and Shrink to shrink.

How about upgrading AnyDVD to rip "on the fly" as good as DVDFab Decrypter (the free version even!) instead?? Hmmm??
I think it's all about removing all the unreferenced / bogus / redundant title sets now included "free" with every damn Sony DVD.

I've been self employed over 30 years... and one of my first rules of business is to *never* reward dissapointing performance with any further spending that would benifit said non-performer in order to solve the problem. (Even if it's the easiest thing to do to solve my personal problem.) (Bunnyrip, pay close attention here) :D

Example: I live on a fairly remote part of Lake Hartwell. Charter cable refuses to upgrade my little sector for Broadband (or digital) because it's ROI would be 5 years and they have a 3 year ROI model for thier upgrade program. Instead of subscribing to thier relatively inexpensive analog cable service, I've used a dish, or even an antenna on a rotor to avoid paying them a dime until they wish to provide me with full-service. In addition I've polled my neighbors (who really want broadband) and helped many of them switch to Dish or antenna - each with a cancellation letter explaining to Charter why we're PEOPLE - not just ROI numbers.

-W

How about upgrading AnyDVD to rip "on the fly" as good as DVDFab Decrypter (the free version even!) instead?? Hmmm??

DvdFab Decrypter doesn't decrypt on the fly. It's not a driver; in fact, it doesn't do anything on the fly.

DvdFab Decrypter doesn't decrypt on the fly. It's not a driver; in fact, it doesn't do anything on the fly.

OK let me rephrase that... it takes about 1.5 minutes (at worst) to analyse the disk and pop it up on the screen - naked for the taking. If AnyDVD took that long on the new Sony DVD's - I'd understand why - so long as it DID it.

-W

OK let me rephrase that... it takes about 1.5 minutes (at worst) to analyse the disk and pop it up on the screen - naked for the taking. If AnyDVD took that long on the new Sony DVD's - I'd understand why - so long as it DID it.

1. I can understand wanting to Anydvd to work with Shrink. I am, actually, sympathetic to the complaint (or more so than some others are).

2. Nothing can decrypt the Sony junk on the fly so that it's cleaned up--so far. That's just the limitation of being a driver. Conversely, Dvdfab can't do what Anydvd can for HTPC users. The only solution has to be targeted at the Anydvd ripper portion of the program, as far as I can tell.

The only program that really competes with anydvd on a driver level, as far as I'm aware is DvdIdle Pro or dvd region+CSS (put out by the dvdfab team), but those programs have not been officially updated since Oct. 26, 2006, so the situation there seems much worse to me.

Last edited:
If I right click and Rip video DVD to hard drive can I just burn them on 2 separate discs? My trial of Clonedvd is up and don't have 40$ until next month.

Ripping problems

So i use any DVD to rip to the HD... it rips it, but shrink still doesn't read it to burn just the movie... i get rid of menus anyways... but it can't find the VIDEO_TS file...

So i use any DVD to rip to the HD... it rips it, but shrink still doesn't read it to burn just the movie... i get rid of menus anyways... but it can't find the VIDEO_TS file...

Don't tick "remove unreferenced cells" in AnyDVD ripper.
Even better: Don't use the ripper. Use CloneDVD to rip.

The only program that really competes with anydvd on a driver level, as far as I'm aware is DvdIdle Pro or dvd region+CSS (put out by the dvdfab team), but those programs have not been officially updated since Oct. 26, 2006, so the situation there seems much worse to me.
DvdIdle Pro and dvd region+CSS both don't operate on the driver level.
They use user mode hooks, so they operate on a "per process" basis. AnyDVD is a real kernel mode driver and operates systemwide.

Last edited:
DvdIdle Pro and dvd region+CSS both don't operate on the driver level.
They use user mode hooks, so they operate on a "per process" basis. AnyDVD is a real kernel mode driver and operates systemwide.

I'm not promoting those other programs (in fact, I dislike them). Perhaps what I should have said instead is that the only other programs that I'm aware of that claim to decrypt on the fly also cannot handle the the Sony stuff and haven't been updated since Oct. 2006, which place them in a far worse position, in my opinion, than Anydvd.

I'm not promoting those other programs (in fact, I dislike them). Perhaps what I should have said instead is that the only other programs that I'm aware of that claim to decrypt on the fly also cannot handle the the Sony stuff and haven't been updated since Oct. 2006, which place them in a far worse position, in my opinion, than Anydvd.
I just wanted to correct your statement, that DvdIdle Pro and dvd region+CSS work on a driver level (they don't).

Back