• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Strange problems when ripping using xbox hd-dvd drive

A Lower Filter found is: PxHelp20

" Part of Sonic Burning engine, it's made by prassi/veritas and licensed to Sonic. Comes with Winamp, 1click DivxToDVD and (older versoins of) Digion Audio. "

Well, I sincerely doubt Pxhelp20.sys is interfering with anything. Your filters look fine.

Yeah, at this point I'm thinking there's an issue with Anydvd HD and disc 1 of Planet Earth. I suspect James or peer will be best able to resolve your issue. I'm out of ideas at this point.

Yeah, at this point I'm thinking there's an issue with Anydvd HD and disc 1 of Planet Earth.
I have to agree. But "Planet Earth" is (according to amazon.com sales statistics) a very popular title available for some time now, so I wonder why nobody has reported this problem before.

I have another suggestion:

1.) remove all discs from the drive(s)
2.) Delete the HD DVD folders AnyDVD has created on your harddisk. To check the paths, look in settings -> Video HD DVD
3.) Make sure the path specified here is valid and that AnyDVD has the rights to write files there.
4.) Make sure, that the environment variable %TEMP% and %TMP% are properly set. To check, type set t from a cmd prompt

If all is fine, try again.

James: I tried all the steps you listed above. I still get the same problem.

Just to let you know I have Planet Earth HD-DVD version and have had no problems backing up to my Hard drive on my main PC and my Laptop, so it sounds like some conflict

Last edited:
Just to let you know I have Planet Earth HD-DVD version and have had no problems backing up to my Hard drive on my main PC and my Laptop, so it sounds like some conflict

Using Anydvd HD 6.1.6.2? If not, can you please try that version?

Also Adbear: what hd-dvd drive and what os are you using?

Which version of AnyDVD did you use? In particular, was it an AnyDVD version older than 6.1.6.0?
If yes, could you please try to copy the Planet Earth HD DVD with 6.1.6.2 (or copy the .xpl files)?
Are you using Vista or XP?

It is remotely possible, that the change

- Fix (HD DVD & Blu-ray): File sizes of files mapped with "Magic File
Replacement(tm)" and copied with AnyDVD HD ripper could be incorrect.

has some undesired side effects.

James: if I try to drag/drop the xpl file with anydvd enabled and it fails with a "file is corrupt and unreadable" error but works when anydvd is disabled, does that itself indicate some kind of anydvd problem?

Also, is there a way for me to get the older version of anydvd before the fix you mentioned to see if that works for me?

James: if I try to drag/drop the xpl file with anydvd enabled and it fails with a "file is corrupt and unreadable" error but works when anydvd is disabled, does that itself indicate some kind of anydvd problem?
Possible. Maybe. Don't know yet.
Let's wait what Adbear says, if he tries with AnyDVD 6.1.6.2

Alright... some news for you: Drag & Drop of files modified with "Magic File Replacement(tm)" doesn't work on Vista. It looks like a conflict with the Vista UDF file system. I'll investigate.
However, the AnyDVD ripper is not affected at all by this problem 8it doesn't use the Windows file system), it should work fine. If it doesn't, this is either a defective disc, defective drive or some other unrelated problem.

James: I have tried two different discs of "planet earth disc 1" and with two different x-box hd-dvd drives and on 3 different pc's. I get the same problem on all of these combinations.

James: I have tried two different discs of "planet earth disc 1" and with two different x-box hd-dvd drives and on 3 different pc's. I get the same problem on all of these combinations.

You get the "error reading from drive:" error message from AnyDVD ripper on all three systems with different x-box drives and different discs?

I had borrowed a friend's planet earth disc 1 -- thinking that my disc was bad. When that didnt work either, I borrowed a xbox hd-dvd drive. Still the same problem. While I havent tried every possible combination between 2 discs, 2 drives, and 3 pc's -- I have tried enough that it seems unlikely that the disc or drive or pc is the problem. Perhaps I got two bad discs -- but that seems unlikely given that they both play fine on xbox 360 and even on powerdvd ultra. This feels like a anydvd problem (and perhaps is related to anydvd on vista).

I had borrowed a friend's planet earth disc 1 -- thinking that my disc was bad. When that didnt work either, I borrowed a xbox hd-dvd drive. Still the same problem. While I havent tried every possible combination between 2 discs, 2 drives, and 3 pc's -- I have tried enough that it seems unlikely that the disc or drive or pc is the problem. Perhaps I got two bad discs -- but that seems unlikely given that they both play fine on xbox 360 and even on powerdvd ultra. This feels like a anydvd problem (and perhaps is related to anydvd on vista).

Just to be clear:
You get the "error reading from drive:" error message from AnyDVD ripper?
And not the strange .xpl error from Vista?

That's correct. I get the "cannot read from drive:..." error msg from anydvd ripper.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I am able to use anydvd ripper to rip another title (the one I tried was "king kong") without any problems.

If I try to just drag/drop when anydvd is enabled, then besides the error re: xpl file, it will copy some files but then I eventually get a strange "the specified destination does not exist..." error from vista when copying one of the evo files.

That's correct. I get the "cannot read from drive:..." error msg from anydvd ripper.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I am able to use anydvd ripper to rip another title (the one I tried was "king kong") without any problems.

If I try to just drag/drop when anydvd is enabled, then besides the error re: xpl file, it will copy some files but then I eventually get a strange "the specified destination does not exist..." error from vista when copying one of the evo files.

After looking through the code and making some tests, I know the following:

1.) There is a drag & drop bug under Vista. Every file where AnyDVD needs to adjust the file size cannot be copied with the Vista file system. This is a bug in AnyDVD and it will be fixed. I believe every previous AnyDVD HD version suffers from this bug, I am amazed nobody noticed this yet. Yes, Blu-ray discs are affected, too.

2.) The ripper should work fine (as your test with King Kong verifies)

3.) As AnyDVD does not change the size of .evo files (on HD DVD discs it usually only alters the size of .xpl files) copying .evo files will work fine (you can try it with King Kong if you like). I have no idea why it fails with a weird error with your disc.

I am lost, no further idea, sorry.

As I mentioned above, I already tried a friend's disc (same title). Both play fine in cyberlink and on xbox 360 but both have problems I mentioned above when ripping.

Also, I already tried draggig/dropping the files. From my post above:

"When I try to copy/paste instead of using anydvd-hd ripper, I first get a error that vplst000.xpl from the adv_obj directory cannot be copied (0x80070570 - the file or directory is corrupt and unreadable). If I skip copying that file, then the copy process copies most of the hd-dvd but throws a "the specified destination does not exist..." error towards the end while trying to copy a large evo file. I am copying to the local hard disk and there are no hard disk problems."

Have you tried installing AnyDVD HD on your friends computer and ripping the disc there insead?

OK, have now finished testing on my systems. Have an Xbox 360 external HD-dvd player, am using Vista Business on my Laptop and main PC, and can rip the first disc of Planet Earth HD-dvd without any problems on both systems using versions 6.1.5.5, 6.1.6.0 and 6.1.6.2 beta

Strange. Maybe I did get 2 bad discs. I am going to do a return and see if I have better luck with a third.

Please try AnyDVD 6.1.6.4, it should at least fix the .xpl problem with Windows Vista.

Back