• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Strange behaviour in Windows 7 (fluctuating monitor refresh rate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

someone1

I just played around a bit with the latest Windows 7 beta (build 7000) and found that ReClock is behaving quite strange with this version in that the monitor refreh rate isn't determined correctly. it fluctuates unsteadily around a (wrong) value: ~43Hz at real 50Hz and ~52Hz at real 60 Hz. Obviously with these strange values ReClock delivers a quite unpleasent experience...

Since I'm an avid ReClock user for years and haven't had a single unsolvable problem so far (on XP that is, never tried Vista), I tried everything I could think of to resolve this, but had absolutely no luck. Cleaning the refresh rate database, trying both detection methods, trying various ReClock versions (even back to 1.7), running the player in Vista compatibility mode, trying different display drivers (both nVidia and the Microsoft driver that ships with Win7) and so on. Regardless of what I was doing, the result was always exactly the same, which ultimately led me to the conclusion, that there has to be something, that makes it impossible for ReClock to work in Windows 7 and thus requires some changes in ReClock. Which is really sad since besides this issue the beta version of Win7 feels more like a release candidate than a beta.

My system specs (the relevant parts for ReClock):

Intel dual core E6600
2 GB RAM
Nvidia 9600GT
Monitor connected via DVI, Fujitsu Siemens Myrica VQ40-2 (a LCD-TV with great HTPC qualities)
Creative X-Fi Extreme Music

Last edited by a moderator:
well, windows 7 is still beta (its not even a release candidate yet), so there is probably little/no point in updating reclock until either a release candidate appears or the os is finally released

<sarcasm>
Thanks for the valuable hint!
</sarcasm>

Official response (sorry if this sounds a little bit rude): Being a windows software developer myself, I would 'slightly' disagree. The whole purpose of these semi-public betas is that software developers have the chance to update their programs before the final version of windows arrives...

I just played around a bit with the latest Windows 7 beta (build 7000) and found that ReClock is behaving quite strange with this version in that the monitor refreh rate isn't determined correctly. it fluctuates unsteadily around a (wrong) value: ~43Hz at real 50Hz and ~52Hz at real 60 Hz. Obviously with these strange values ReClock delivers a quite unpleasent experience...
Monitor refresh rate detection is mostly dependent on the graphics driver. Anyway, clear the timings database, enable logging, start playback, post the (zipped) logfile.

Stupid question: where is the logfile supposed to be created? Didn't find in reclock's dir, windows dir, the player's dir, the video file's dir. Logging is definitely enabled (triple checked that).

On a sidenote: This might be some kind of power management issue. Windows and/or the display driver seem to throttle down the cpu and/or gpu. SpeedStep is disabled in BIOS, all energy saving options are turned off so this has to be something the user can't influence.

What I didn't notice before is that the displayed system clock is changing too while the Monitor frequency fluctuates.

Why this is happening (Power saving is completely off in BIOS and Windows) and how it is affecting the reported Monitor frequency I have no idea of, but I'm pretty sure this is the cause, since actions like opening a window or doing something on the taskbar lead to short moments of correctly displayed monitor frequency.

I'm wondering whether this problem is exclusive to Windows 7, which is mor or less a 'Vista plus' (internal version number 6.1). There is a report of something similiar a few threads down, which makes me suspect this could as well be a general Vista issue.

Why this is happening (Power saving is completely off in BIOS and Windows) and how it is affecting the reported Monitor frequency I have no idea of, but I'm pretty sure this is the cause, since actions like opening a window or doing something on the taskbar lead to short moments of correctly displayed monitor frequency.

/sarcasm on

maybe because its a beta ?

/sarcasm off

Stupid question: where is the logfile supposed to be created? Didn't find in reclock's dir, windows dir, the player's dir, the video file's dir. Logging is definitely enabled (triple checked that).
Current user's documents folder.

@evlncrn8:

You're soooooo funny.

Maybe, but maybe it's a new feature that ReClock has to be adapted to. This is exactly what devs have to check with these betas. And, as I said, it's the purpose of these betas.

If you are annoyed by people trying to help with (might-be-a-)bug-reports, please post in other threads. Any chance you are a bit of a beta yourself?

@James

Thanks, will check that.

<sarcasm>
Thanks for the valuable hint!
</sarcasm>.

Any chance you are a bit of a beta yourself?

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=6&postcount=1

"While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

We also reserve the right to ban anyone who wilfully violates the forum rules, as access to our support forums is a privilege and not a right. A banned customer is still entitled to support from the support system."

Consider this a warning. :policeman:

If I have to post in this thread again, I will consider banning.

@Webslinger

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=6&postcount=1

"While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

We also reserve the right to ban anyone who wilfully violates the forum rules, as access to our support forums is a privilege and not a right. A banned customer is still entitled to support from the support system."

Consider this a warning. :policeman:

If I have to post in this thread again, I will consider banning.

please ban me right away. Believe me, I have better things to do than arguing with kids who are seemingly at home at some software forum.

I just tried to help and my first sarcastic comment was simply a reaction of the childish 'this is a beta' comment by 'evlncrn8'.

Have a nice life.

@James

Sorry, but I'm too old for these childish forum games (not your fault of course). You will find out if it's a beta version problem or something you will have to work on with or without me.

Thanks for answering my posts anyway.

@Webslinger

please ban me right away.

Done

Thread closed. :policeman:

If you want to be rude towards a person for simply making a comment that windows 7 is a beta, go find other forums to do it in. evlncrn8 was not rude first; you were.

Last edited:
/sarcasm on

maybe because its a beta ?

/sarcasm off

Don't stoop to the level of other offensive people, please, even if they were rude to you first. Send me a PM instead. Thanks.

Last edited:
will do, duly noted, apologies chief

psst.. i think you forgot to close the thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back