• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Straight MP4 format?

rj1

I have a Lacie LaCinema Classic, which supposedly will play MP4, Divx and Xvid. I've tried mp4v 640x420 and 426x240 XviD 1.1.2 480x316 DivX 4 (OpenDivX) 480x316 and 720 x 540 and nothing will play.

Their tech support suggests I try "a straight MPEG-4 video" so what option do I choose for that?

Try iPhoneAVC, that is mp4a and see if that will play.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that one and the Lacie won't play it.

Any others?

Nope, not a clue except maybe getting the Lacie fixed?

Already RMAed the first one back to Newegg and got a replacement. The new one behaves the same way.

What I'm wondering, is there some sort of proto-mpeg-4, like whats the native encoding on a DVD vob? Is that mpeg-4? What's the oldest version of mpeg-4?

Assuming that these bozos haven't shipped a product that literally can't play any format, there has to be an answer here.

DVD format is mpg2, have you tried a VOB passthrough? I read a little on the classic and DivX looks like the best bet. Have you tried generic DivX yet? I think the iPod classic stuff was mp4 and not H.264 might try one of those.

I just tried it and I think iPod video 5 gen is what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Found one that worked. VCD 352x200. I thought that was MPEG-2, though. Ugh.

Now I'll start experimenting with various MPG formats, since I clearly can't trust a bit of their specs.

If that's the case and the Lacie is NTFS formatted, you can make a VOB passthrough and change the file extension from .vob to .mpg and have a no loss single file.

iPod video 5 gen does not work.

But SVCD does work. And taking the first vob from a dvd rip and renaming it mpg works too!

If that's the case and the Lacie is NTFS formatted, you can make a VOB passthrough and change the file extension from .vob to .mpg and have a no loss single file.
Spanky why does the drive have to be NTFS ?

Because the resulting file will likely be larger than 4GB which is the hard limit for a FAT formatted drive. NTFS has no such file size limit.

Thanks Spanky I think my brain was broken when I asked, I realised soon after

No problem K.M I often suffer from brain flatulence myself.

Spanky
I am using a USB portable drive to watch "backed up movies" through my Pioneer DV-410V (a DVD player with USB plug) it plays DivX fine But I was hoping to watch movies in original format straight from the VIDEO_TS folders on hard disk. I then converted the files to .ISO this didnt work either.
I used CloneDVDm to do a VOB passthrough then changed the file extension to .mpg but the player doesnt recognise this format either. The Player works with almost any file MPEG-4 AAC DivX WMV
Any suggestions?

thanks for help

I would think it would play a passthrough with the .vob extension since that is the DVD extension, so try one without changing the extension. If that doesn’t work I like the H.264 mp4 file. Try the PS3 profile with the quality slider up and a couple passes. I have a big screen HD TV and I use the 16:9 at least 720x480. The result is very acceptable.

Back