Stop Online Piracy Act & "Protect IP" laws

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by James, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

YEHA, go hacktivists & general public. We aint as powerless as them big studio's / mpaa / riaa would like us to think we are. STICK IT TO THE MAN.

3. profcolli

profcolli Well-Known Member

4. Ch3vr0n

that's old news. Already know about it but yeah this one could be worse. The global span of it is scary

5. FurryGuy

FurryGuy Well-Known Member

Just because a couple of the minor skirmishes (the two US Congressional Bills) have been beat back doesn't mean the war for internet freedom is over. The studios and totalitarian states are going to keep up trying to restrict our 'net freedoms until they get what they want.

6. lfp2

lfp2 Well-Known Member

True

Sticky. Did I just see you over on C*D*H? Great going

7. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

This is going to pass, whether voters like it or not. They will simply keep reintroducing a new version of the bill every few months until it gets approved. It didn't work when they claimed it was for the entertainment industry's benefit, so they will now try claiming it is for the war on terror.

In fact, it has already been reintroduced:

http://rt.com/usa/news/cispa-bill-sopa-internet-175/

This time it's H.R. 2533, the "Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act" or CISPA, and it's said to be even worse than SOPA.

If this gets more awareness on the web and people rush to condemn it, fine, in a few more months, it will come back with a new name, and, as I said above, they will keep doing that until it passes.

There's nothing you can do. Yes, it sucks. :(

8. Pelvis Popcan

Take a look at this, if you haven't yet:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1

The NSA has built the largest spy center in the world. They did all of it in secret. And, they have access to every bit of information that all computers and servers on the Internet are sending and receiving. Your e-mail, your searches, everything. It is, as stated in the article, "the realization of the “total information awareness” program created during the first term of the Bush administration—an effort that was killed by Congress in 2003 after it caused an outcry over its potential for invading Americans’ privacy." They are even breaking the encrypted data (https, tor, etc.) so that is no protection anymore.

I truly believe America is very close, if not already, a police state.

9. Pelvis Popcan

10. Pelvis Popcan

11. Pelvis Popcan

12. Pelvis Popcan

13. Pelvis Popcan

In fact... we are now definitely a police state. The Supreme Court ruled at the beginning of the month that officials may now strip-search anyone arrested for any offense, however minor, before admitting them to jails even if the officials have no reason to suspect the presence of contraband.

I seriously am thinking about what I need to do to apply for citizenship in Canada. It's a shame to be an American now. It simply is not free in the sense that I was taught what freedom means.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/us/justices-approve-strip-searches-for-any-offense.html?hp

14. Pelvis Popcan

Here's even more: Obama just signed a bill that opens up all US airspace to thousands of unmanned aerial drones.

Still think the USA isn't a police state?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57409759/drone-use-in-the-u.s-raises-privacy-concerns/

15. PrincipalityFusion

PrincipalityFusion Well-Known Member

Let's see how much of all this "police state" and conspiracy talk we get when the next Republican administration comes in:mad:

Either Obama is a Muslim or he's a total Athiest. Either he's as slick as the Devil or he's too dumb to tie his own shoes.

If the man was Jesus himself, he still wouldn't be able to do anything right. Now he's the projenator of a police state??

Well, look at it this way. When they send the troops for you, with all those homo guys in the military, torture will be to listen to show toons for hours on end:bang:

Anyways....this has to do with AnyDVD or entertainment in general how exactly??

Never mind. Completed reading the posts. I get how it's related. Still though, I've only been paying attention to polictics since Reagan so it's definitely possible that i've missed something, but this is the first time that i've seen so much conspiricy, vitriol, suspicion, and downright hatred directed at one president. No one does everything right, even this president, but I keep wondering why he gets the stuff that he does.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  16. Ch3vr0n

You do know you just dug up a 3 year old drag topic right? The SOPA act was dropped long ago

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

17. mike_r

mike_r Well-Known Member

Spam magnet thread closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.