• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Steam Client update released (2009-03-06)

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
There is a new Steam client update with numerous fixes. The one that really caught my eye was the first and directly impacts the issues I had with downloading UT3. There is a wave of postings in the Steam forums about download issues.

A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Steam Client
  • Fixed possible case where Steam would get stuck with "Downloading starting..." when trying to download
  • Added NTFS check when trying to install Empire: Total War
  • Added new dialog to inform the user they failed to register a CD key because they do not own a game which is required to register the key (Empire: Total War Special Forces)
  • Added more download regions for Australia
  • Fixed several update news links for games going to the wrong page
  • Added more information to the game launch display when first-time install steps are being ran
  • Fixed HL2.exe hanging on shutdown
  • Increased max width of links on game properties dialog (general tab) to match the now wider properties panel.
  • Fixed the 'launching game' dialog always waiting for user input if there was update news available
  • Updated localization files for dialog variable changes (fixes %s1 appearing in some languages)
  • New notification shown when an application is downloaded or updated
  • Added teamfortress.com, tf2.com, etc. to list of approved chat urls
  • Fixed case where retail install would be unnecessarily slow
  • Fixed third-party installers not running if an installer before it failed
  • Several Steamworks updates

Unless something is sold on Steam as an exclusive (exclusive content or game not sold anywhere else), I will never buy anything using Steam.

Unless something is sold on Steam as an exclusive (exclusive content or game not sold anywhere else), I will never buy anything using Steam.

I fully agree with you. I am not happy that I bought UT3 via Steam but in this case the price was 40% off, involved no additional tax, and no shipping charges. The game would have cost twice as much had I purchased the game elsewhere. This was a special circumstance situation. I definitely do not wish to go through a situation like I did with the download again.

Yeah, sometimes there are good sales.

World of Goo is supposed to be an absolutely phenomenal game (generally received over 90% in reviews), and it's selling for about $5, on Steam, I think. I'm not interested in playing it, but the price is nice.

And a new update!

March 7, 2009 - Steam client update released

A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Steam Client
  • Fixed "endless update" bug when trying to download Empire: Total War
  • Fixed possible case of "Game is unavailable" bug when trying to launch Empire: Total War

Back