• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Star Wars Subtitles

siani_8

Hi,

I am using CloneDVD Mobile to do a VOB Passthrough for Star Wars IV. The created VOB file does not show the subtitles when Greedo and Jabba are speaking their alien speech.

I have searched these threads and I have seen a breakdown on the Star Wars movies suggesting that I should select the 2nd English subtitle selection. That did not work for me. Additionally, I have tried a passthrough selecting English subtitle 1 and then again doing English subtitle 3. None of these selections give me any type of subtitles when viewing my VOB Passthrough through my PowerDVD 9 player. I do see those subtitles when viewing my original disk through the powerdvd 9 player so I don't think it's a setting I'm missing.

I also tried the MPEG-2 Passthough feature with the same results when viewed through Windows Meida Player 11.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My ultimate goal is to have 1 VOB file. I have AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD also. If there are suggesions to use those programs instead of, or along with, CloneDVD mobile that would be acceptable too.

P.S. I am useing Clone DVD Moble 1.6.1.0; however, I rolled back to a previous version and that didn't work either.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The thread you pointed me to was my own post earlier this year with replies from you and others.

As is evident, the battle to get my Star Wars movies onto my computer for media extender viewing has been going on for some time now. I gave up for a while until I saw a new version of CloneDVD mobile and figured I would try it again. Once again, I am pretty dissapointed with this purchase but am not ready to give up based on the fact that I have been impressed with Slysoft's decrypting and burning capabilities.

I took the suggestions in the thread you linked me to and have selected Angle 1 only for my VOB passthrough. It works pretty good except that there are no subtitles when Jabba and Greedo are speaking alien speech.

I then tried angle 1 three separate times, each time selecting one of the three available english subtitle options. Each time though, the VOB created did not have subtitles at all. I then did the same thing for MPEG passthrough with the same results.

Is it possible to have subtitles included with movie only using VOB Passthrough with CloneDVD Mobile? Has this worked for anyone else? Could there be conflicts with other programs that could cause this not to work for me?

My results so far:

VOB Passthrough = no subtitles when played back through PowerDVD 9
MPEG Passthrough = no subtitles whe played back through Media Player 11

I really appreciate the help.

Are there any Star Wars fans that would be willing to pop in "A New Hope" and see if subtitles are maintained doing a VOB passthrough?

I'm worried that there may some setting outside of CloneDVD Movie and on my system in general that's preventing this.

Again, when I do Angle 1 as suggested all over these forums, I get the whole movie in it's entirety to include the beginning scrolling title introduction. I'm only missing alien speech (Jabba and Greedo)

I found this Slysoft thread:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=14836&highlight=star+wars+subtitles

In this thread, the poster, Profcolli, references anthother poster's specific details and instructions for how to get the alien speech subtitles to be included with this movie.

The problem is that the information was copied from a forum for completetly different software (Handbrake V.0.9.1) and so the instructions, particularly about "leaving Force Subs Only Unchecked" don't work for CloneDVD and CloneDVD mobile, since I don't see that option.

Has anyone else accomplished this task by using the Handbrake Software that poster references? I really don't mind getting yet another piece of Software, to use along with all of my Slysoft products, for this specific task if that's what it takes.

If it was any other set of movies, I would have just moved on, but the Star Wars titles really need to be able to stream to my media extender while maintaining the good quality that Slysoft provides.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Last edited:
Greedo-Jabba sub-titles

Are there any Star Wars fans that would be willing to pop in "A New Hope" and see if subtitles are maintained doing a VOB passthrough?

Again, when I do Angle 1 as suggested all over these forums, I get the whole movie in it's entirety to include the beginning scrolling title introduction. I'm only missing alien speech (Jabba and Greedo)

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

After some experimenting, I found that using vob passthrough on Title 1, Angle 1 and the last English subtitle (see attached) shows the subtitles on Greedo and Jabba and doesn't subtitle the whole movie. I used CDVDM 1.2.0.1 also. I used MediaPlayer Classic to view it and it worked with no additional setting changes.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'll try those options and see what happens. I've actually tried them before (all except with Media Player Classic since I don't have that installed), That makes me think that there is something outside of CloneDVD Mobile that is causing the issue. However, I just tried a third party program to make an AVI file as an alternative and it worked and I see subtitles. However, the quality is sub par and on my first attempt it didn't appear to keep the 5.1 surround. I would much rather get this VOB passthrough working.

Thanks again. I'll post back with results

Thanks for the reply. I'll try those options and see what happens. I've actually tried them before (all except with Media Player Classic since I don't have that installed), That makes me think that there is something outside of CloneDVD Mobile that is causing the issue. However, I just tried a third party program to make an AVI file as an alternative and it worked and I see subtitles. However, the quality is sub par and on my first attempt it didn't appear to keep the 5.1 surround. I would much rather get this VOB passthrough working.

Thanks again. I'll post back with results
I can't get the subtitles with .VOB file (passthrough). Using angle 1 and subtitle 2 (as noted in my other post) I can get them OK with, for example, Generic Divx. Generic MPEG2 Pass-Through crashes (but there are no subtitle options available anyway).

Generic MPEG2 Re-Encode also works ok with the subtitles (angle 1 and subtitle 2). Generating 720x480 (NTSC) - either avi or mpg - takes longer than creating a vob but should stream at good quality and is only a quarter of the size.
Using 1.6.1.0 (and Media Player Classic).

attachment.php

Edit: DD/DTS sound got broken in 1.6.0.1, but you can still get it with 1.2.0.1 (see format extensions sticky for profile) but vob passthrough seems to work ok for the subtitles according to mmdavis above, so it's a moot point.

Attachments

• starwars_greedo001.jpg
    starwars_greedo001.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I can't get the subtitles with .VOB file (passthrough). Using angle 1 and subtitle 2 (as noted in my other post)

I could not either using the first or second English subtitle listing, but could with the third one (last in the list) as shown in the screenshot I attached.

Last edited:
I can't get the subtitles with .VOB file (passthrough). Using angle 1 and subtitle 2 (as noted in my other post) I can get them OK with, for example, Generic Divx. Generic MPEG2 Pass-Through crashes (but there are no subtitle options available anyway).

Generic MPEG2 Re-Encode also works ok with the subtitles (angle 1 and subtitle 2). Generating 720x480 (NTSC) - either avi or mpg - takes longer than creating a vob but should stream at good quality and is only a quarter of the size.
Using 1.6.1.0 (and Media Player Classic).

attachment.php

Edit: DD/DTS sound got broken in 1.6.0.1, but you can still get it with 1.2.0.1 (see format extensions sticky for profile) but vob passthrough seems to work ok for the subtitles according to mmdavis above, so it's a moot point.

I really really appreciate everyone looking to this and helping me out. I rolled back to version 1.2.0.1 and tried Angle 1, subtitle 3 and it still did not work for me when viewing the file (I do not have Media Player Classic though so maybe there is something different about that player that allows the subtitles to be viewed whereas PowerDVD 9, my other players, and editing software does not.)

Anyway, I am going to take your lead and try the MPEG2 Re-Encode tonight (after going through the format extensions sticky you mentioned).

I really love the quality of the Passthrough options but for now I'll let it go. Maybe when CloneBD and Star Wars Blu Rays are released, I'll give it another go at maximum quality for extender/media center viewing.

Thanks so much again for the help.

I really really appreciate everyone looking to this and helping me out. I rolled back to version 1.2.0.1 and tried Angle 1, subtitle 3 and it still did not work for me when viewing the file (I do not have Media Player Classic though so maybe there is something different about that player that allows the subtitles to be viewed whereas PowerDVD 9, my other players, and editing software does not.)

Anyway, I am going to take your lead and try the MPEG2 Re-Encode tonight (after going through the format extensions sticky you mentioned).

I really love the quality of the Passthrough options but for now I'll let it go. Maybe when CloneBD and Star Wars Blu Rays are released, I'll give it another go at maximum quality for extender/media center viewing.

Thanks so much again for the help.
For A New Hope you need to choose angle 1 english subtitle 2, not 3 (at least on my Region 1 version). Try that and let us know.

Media Player Classic is a free download but I don't think that is your problem. I see the alien speech (mpeg2-reencode) also with WMP11, Powerdvd 7 and Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre, but audio is downmixed to stereo in 1.6.1.0. You will be better off using the Generic XviD DD/DTS profile from the extension sticky with 1.2.0.1 if you want 6 channel sound with good quality video (choose NTSC TV resolution).

mmdavis: I believe you were using 1.2.0.1? It doesn't seem to work in 1.6.1.0 with vob passthrough but I don't need the old version so I haven't tried.

Edit: I loaded the 1.2.0.1 version on my vanilla HTPC and the vob passthrough doesn't display alien speech with any of the subtitle settings in Powerdvd7 nor WMP(10 on that system).... Switched back to main system to play those files and it is not there in any of the other players either.... (scratches head....)

Last edited:
For A New Hope you need to choose angle 1 english subtitle 2, not 3 (at least on my Region 1 version). Try that and let us know.

Media Player Classic is a free download but I don't think that is your problem. I see the alien speech (mpeg2-reencode) also with WMP11, Powerdvd 7 and Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre, but audio is downmixed to stereo in 1.6.1.0. You will be better off using the Generic XviD DD/DTS profile from the extension sticky with 1.2.0.1 if you want 6 channel sound with good quality video (choose NTSC TV resolution).

mmdavis: I believe you were using 1.2.0.1? It doesn't seem to work in 1.6.1.0 with vob passthrough but I don't need the old version so I haven't tried.

Edit: I loaded the 1.2.0.1 version on my vanilla HTPC and the vob passthrough doesn't display alien speech with any of the subtitle settings in Powerdvd7 nor WMP(10 on that system).... Switched back to main system to play those files and it is not there in any of the other players either.... (scratches head....)

OK last night I tried the Generic XVID DD/DTS profile (version 1.2.0.1). The conversion crashed with a really long error message. I should have copied it into the forum for help but I was kind of doing a lot at once last night. However, even though it crashed and said it didn't complete, it still appeared to have completed anyway. I quickly scanned through the movie and it looked like it was all there. It also had subtitles!!

Still a no go on VOB passthough. That's a shame really because I have been using the Passthrough option and then running the single .vob file through VideoRedo and saving as .mpg. These files look excellent on the Xbox 360 through Vista Media Center interface and even though the XBox FAQ says that the 360 will downconvert the AC3 5.1 to stereo when inside of a .mpg container, my Sony surround sound still picks it up as 5.1. (If was stereo, I would see 2.0 channel on my display)

I would try the Media Player Classic, but I don't think I can use that as an alternative to the player that Vista Media Center uses. (not even sure what that is really but I don't think it's the WMP 11). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the VOB passthrough is in fact pulling the subtitles I believe it must be in another stream and WMP 11 isn't picking it up when it's in the .mpg container and PowerDVD doesn't see it when it's still in the single .VOB file. I believe when using options other then the Passthrough, the subtitles get encoded into the main movie stream and that's why it's visable again. (I'm just taking a wild guess and have absolutely no facts to back up that statement)

Because the Generic XviD DD/DTS profile gave me an error, I don't know if I can fairly judge it, howerver, when viewing the video, I didn't think it looked as good as a VOB, which to me, looks identical to the DVD. When weighing quality versus movie with subtiles, I think in the case of Star Wars, I want the whole movie so I'll take what I can get.

I would still like to post that error message later if someone could check back.

Thanks again

Last edited:
OK the Generic XviD DD/DTS profile did not crash when I ran it today. (I chose 1 pass instead of three so I don't know if that made a difference)

Anyway, Subtitles are Good. Problem Solved. I'll buy a Slysoft Hoodie when one shows up in the merchandise shop.

OK the Generic XviD DD/DTS profile did not crash when I ran it today. (I chose 1 pass instead of three so I don't know if that made a difference)

Anyway, Subtitles are Good. Problem Solved. I'll buy a Slysoft Hoodie when one shows up in the merchandise shop.
Good to hear that. If you want to see what is being used by Vista Media Center (and change it if necessary) try the Vista Media Center Decoder utility:
http://mediacenterexpert.blogspot.com/2006/07/vista-media-center-decoder-utility.html

beinhower just posted this profile in another thread http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=218925&postcount=2 - DD/DTS sound with forcedsubs only for XboX360 using divx (for 1.2.0.1 - doesn't work with 1.6.1.0 because they default audio parameters anyway so audio copy fails). I have added AllowNativeTVResolution=1 for choosing NTSC TV at 720x480.

This is for normal "forced" subtitles where characters speak a different language during the movie - Star Wars is a special type so you still have to select the correct subtitle stream even with this profile, but it seems to be what you want until they can get vob to work.

Try it - two passes will give you a better quality output.

Code:
[* Generic (DivX/AC3) AVI - Forced Subtitles for v1.2.0.1]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
AllowNativeTVResolution=1
VTag=DIVX
mopts=-audio-preload 0.8 -delay 0.1 -lameopts cbr=%abrate% -forcedsubsonly
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4:threads=2
moac=copy
Format=avi -noodml
FileType=avi
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

Last edited:
Great info thanks. And thanks to everyone who puts the time and work in to make these profiles.

Back