• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Speed throttling?

ZARTT

I decided to try downloading a crime/drama series from Netflix during my trial period.
There are 59 episodes spread over 6 seasons.
Season one downloaded OK with an average time of about 15 to 20 minutes per episode.
Season two seemed to be the same, but truthfully I wasn't really paying too much attention to download time yet.
Season three started to really slow down which caught my attention.
Episode 5 of season three stalled out at 53%, and stuck there for about 2 hours.
Now any item I choose gets to about 4% and dies.
Is Netflix aware of what I am doing, and throttling me down?

There's a speed control setting in AnyStream itself which caps the maximum download speed you allow AnyStream to use. You can try to increase that. However this does NOT affect the speed netflix itself sends out the data. That's down to their CDN

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

However this does NOT affect the speed netflix itself sends out the data.

If that is the case then why does the program warn you that the provider could possibly throttle you if they detect what you are doing?
In another post you commented that you had been running your testing at max speed, and seemed to suffer no ill effects.
In my original post I was describing what happened when I ran at 1x speed.
I reset download speed to maximum, and the choke appeared to have disappeared. Episodes then started to download in a 10 minute time frame.
In the past 2 days though, the situation has deteriorated to a point where no matter what the speed setting, Netflix stalls out at around 12% It will sit there for hours.
I have attached a logfile of a situation where the download has been stalled for 2 .5 hours.
It seems to me that I have shown a red flag to Netflix, and they are going to shut me down.
Art.

Attachments

• AnyStream_1.0.1.0.astlog
    2 KB · Views: 1
It does that out of a precaution. I have said that about max speed indeed and I still do. Infact I just grabbed another movie just yesterday at full hd, 5.1 audio. Took a massive 3 minutes to download on my end. Just because netflix itself doesn't limit the speed, that doesn't mean AnyStream cannot have picked a CDN sever it thought was best, but unfortunately isn't the best speed wise.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

@ZARTT This may be due to the CDN problem (we have no control over how Netflix manages them). The one that was the best when you started the download may well become the worst over time. You do not feel this in browser because Netflix player can switch between CDNs, the ability which AnyStream lacks at this time.

We are, however, constantly working on improving AnyStream and this "feature" is on the list.

OK. Now you guys are confusing me.

@Ch3vr0n states: "Just because netflix itself doesn't limit the speed, that doesn't mean AnyStream cannot have picked a CDN sever it thought was best, but unfortunately isn't the best speed wise."

@Prospere states: "This may be due to the CDN problem (we have no control over how Netflix manages them). The one that was the best when you started the download may well become the worst over time. You do not feel this in browser because Netflix player can switch between CDNs, the ability which AnyStream lacks at this time."

Which is it? Who has control over the choice of the Content Delivery Network. AnyStream, Netflix, or my ISP. (Network speed test screenshot provided).
I have effectively come to a screeching halt. I mean stopped. No movement at all.
@Ch3vr0n seems to have no difficulty with downloading with the highest speed setting, but yet I do.
Do we as end users have any say at all which CDN is used?
My hardware is fairly sophisticated, though not as much as Chevys.
Is this maybe a Europe vs. North America thing?
Is anyone else having this problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-29 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-29 Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 18
@ZARTT Ok, I see. Let me clarify this.

Netflix uses CDN servers (stands for Content Delivery Network) for content distribution. The same title is hosted on multiple servers and the service (Netflix) provides a ranked list of those to the client (Browser). AnyStream uses this list in order to select a better (a more available) CDN server. However, AnyStream, unlike Netflix player, cannot switch between CDN server at runtime (this functionality is planned, though). This may lead to a situation, when the server being selected begins to experience more load with time, which may have negative impact on the downloading experience of the end User.

On the other hand, there may be a problem on AnyStream's side and we are checking for it.

OK!
Thank you for your response.
I am positive that you guys are on the right track for the future with AnyStream.
I think now that I have a rudimentary understanding of the CDN thing.
My download schedule usually occurs in the early A.M. (2 to 6).
I will experiment with a different time slot to see if that changes anything.
I am still curious though. Have you had any other instances of my experiences since the introduction?
Or am I an only case here?
Art.

having bought anystream after intial trail which started good but has come to a virtual 2hrs plus to download on anything and it now sticks at 3hrs and i feel very ripped off having now gone to another software provider which works fine i have concluded its the Redfox thats the problem. What are they doing to sort this? or at least give me a refund!

having bought anystream after intial trail which started good but has come to a virtual 2hrs plus to download on anything and it now sticks at 3hrs and i feel very ripped off having now gone to another software provider which works fine i have concluded its the Redfox thats the problem. What are they doing to sort this? or at least give me a refund!
It's impossible to help without any log files. Are you running unlimited download speed or using a VPN?

first thing i did was stop my vpn. Having used intial SlyFox for years then going with the new company RedFox with no issues i am really sad that this software is faulty without any form of a refund or at least fixing it

first thing i did was stop my vpn. Having used intial SlyFox for years then going with the new company RedFox with no issues i am really sad that this software is faulty without any form of a refund or at least fixing it
Again ... without logfiles there's no way to identify the problem and nobody can help you ...

And why are you hijacking some old thread ... ?

I get such throttling at times on certain SmartDNS @ NF.. speeds just stalls @2-5mbps

I am just a user but I can promise you whatever the issue might be it is not the software. I understand you are frustrated but I believe the focus of your frustration is placed in the wrong direction. There are many factors that could cause this but they generally have to do with things within your control such as VPN, DNS, firewall etc. I know this through experience because I filter the heck out my network and have broken AS many times to this point.

With that said, if you post a logfile and or give more detail devs and others like myself would be more than willing to help you.

You are either a paid troll or someone who doesn't read any of the answers given, In either case I'm done helping you.

No one else has this issue, so it has to be on your end, post a log file so we can help you.

You are either a paid troll or someone who doesn't read any of the answers given, In either case I'm done helping you.

No offense to him, but I'd go with "troll" or "competitor"
I've seen stalled downloads once in a blue moon, but restarting the program (and probably using a new CDN) usually fixes the issue.
Like DQ I also have my network firewalled and also use AS in a virtual machine - even when sometimes using a VPN I don't see significant speed issues.
I think it's unfair to blame AS for a problem no one else seems to have and requesting a refund for a program you can test drive before purchase is a bit ridiculous.

Just my 2c

Back