• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Speed Menu

Jeff R 1

WOW ! The speed menu is great. It bypasses all that annoying intro. crap !
Two of the worst ones are from E1 (E1 Entertainment) and Disney. On and on it goes with jingles and logo's, E1 being the worst of the two.
Not only that when I burn my ISO files to disc and play it in my stand alone player it now loads super fast. It goes directly to the speed menu.

In the past when I went to get a snack I wouldn't dare push the stop button as I would have to start the whole move right from scratch and I would have to listen to all the intro,s again. Now with speed menu it says "resume" and the move starts right from where I left off.
Great work Guys !!

:rock: :clap:

Can you do a Speed Menu for regular DVDs as well, and not just Blu-Ray? or does that have something to do with Java?
Thank You

I am going to guess and say yes it will work with a DVD. I will create some ISO files of a DVD and let you know.

You could do the same as well too.

It shouldn't take that long either since a regular DVD is only around 8 GB.

Two of the worst ones are from E1 (E1 Entertainment) and Disney. On and on it goes with jingles and logo's, E1 being the worst of the two.
Not only that when I burn my ISO files to disc and play it in my stand alone player it now loads super fast. It goes directly to the speed menu.

I seriously have to wonder about the meetings that must take place when the decisions are made about forcing all that crap onto the consumer. Somehow, they must agree that they think it's a good idea. How they arrive to that conclusion must be quite a spectacle indeed.

I am going to guess and say yes it will work with a DVD. I will create some ISO files of a DVD and let you know.

You could do the same as well too.

It shouldn't take that long either since a regular DVD is only around 8 GB.

I wonder why you folks always create isos or copy discs to test AnyDVD's features. Change a setting, play a disc on the PC, see the result within seconds.

And no, the speed menus are for Blu-ray only. We could do something similar for DVDs, but it doesn't make much sense, as DVD players can always resume.

In the past when I went to get a snack I wouldn't dare push the stop button as I would have to start the whole move right from scratch and I would have to listen to all the intro,s again. Now with speed menu it says "resume" and the move starts right from where I left off.
Great work Guys !!

:rock: :clap:

Welcome to the joys of NOT having Java based menus... HDMV menus (the other option) will load nearly instantly, and will work on EVERY player, regardless of firmware version... (And, of course, skipping all the warnings and trailers is nice too...)

I've never understood why the studios insist on using Java-based menus when the title is just a movie and a few bonus features... It makes sense if they have a bunch of interactive stuff or whatever, but for a simple disc just give us basic, _functional_ menus...

HDMV based discs will always resume playback where it was left off (unless it's specifically programmed not to). Java discs are the other way around. They will never resume (unless they are specifically programmed to do it). More studios are programming their Java based menus to resume, but not all, and it doesn't fix the already existing titles... But you still have to wait it for it to load, displaying a little loading icon, etc... I still feel sorry for anyone not using a PS3 on modern studio discs... Normal players are so slooooow... I suspect the Speed Menus will be quite popular.

I love the new VLC player too (2.0). When you point it to a Blu-ray disc, it finds the largest PlayList and starts playing it, ignoring everything else. You can pick a different one if it happens to be playing the wrong one. Sort of like the Speed Menus, but without the actual menus. :p No F-ing around, just play the damn movie already!

I wonder why you folks always create isos or copy discs to test AnyDVD's features. Change a setting, play a disc on the PC, see the result within seconds.

And no, the speed menus are for Blu-ray only. We could do something similar for DVDs, but it doesn't make much sense, as DVD players can always resume.

I understand that now. But if you have Speed Menus for regular DVDs, you can skip right to the movie and not watch the copy protection, which you can't skip on most movies.
Thank You.

:rock:

I understand that now. But if you have Speed Menus for regular DVDs, you can skip right to the movie and not watch the copy protection, which you can't skip on most movies.
Thank You.

AnyDVD already has several functions for this for DVDs, including a function which lets you "skip" and remove the torture. Try it, it only takes seconds.

AnyDVD already has several functions for this for DVDs, including a function which lets you "skip" and remove the torture. Try it, it only takes seconds.

Okay, is it under Video HD DVD? If not, where exactly is the part that allows you to "skip" and remove? Generally, I stick with everything to the default.
Thanks

How about checking under Video DVD :) the top 3 options

Yes I suppose we (I) could test the disc directly and save time, but since the only thing that I am interested in are creating ISO's that is what I go for.
By creating the ISO's I am not adding another variable to the equation by using the disc directly.

I don't use my computer to play Blu-rays directly, I have my Sony for that. The rental store is 1/2 hour drive away and has only one night rentals. I rent what I want in one night and save it all to the hard drive.

The alternative would be to drive back and fourth on a daily basis, using up huge amounts of fuel and time.

But, yes, next time if I want to test something, I will just throw the disc in. :doh:

Thanks James :)

Last edited:
I just installed and tried SpeedMenu today. I "really" like it!!!

I have a question though..... I rip my movies to disk and watch them later at my convience. If I rip the disk with SpeedMenu enabled, is there a way to watch the original disk (i.e. with all the previews, warnings, etc...)?

I realize that if I'm watching from the original disk that's in my BD drive all I have to do is turn off the SpeedMenu option and re-play the movie again.

So I'm specifically asking about a movie that has previously been ripped to disk and I no longer have the physical disk handy.

If there is currently no way to play the orginal again, maybe a future enhancement to the SpeedMenu would be nice to have something like an option that says something like: "Play in Original Format".

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
I just installed and tried SpeedMenu today. I "really" like it!!!

I have a question though..... I rip my movies to disk and watch them later at my convience. If I rip the disk with SpeedMenu enabled, is there a way to watch the original disk (i.e. with all the previews, warnings, etc...)?
Sure. You rip the disc keeping the protection. Then during playback you set AnyDVD the way you want.

Sure. You rip the disc keeping the protection. Then during playback you set AnyDVD the way you want.

Can you do what you suggest with rips to a disk directory or only with ISO rips?

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Can you do what you suggest with rips to a disk directory or only with ISO rips?

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Only ISO rips. It creates an ISO with all the protection in place so that AnyDVD will then treat the mounted ISO as if it were an original. (More or less). That way you can turn options in AnyDVD on and off at will to affect the mounted ISO without making changes permanently.

Only ISO rips. It creates an ISO with all the protection in place so that AnyDVD will then treat the mounted ISO as if it were an original. (More or less). That way you can turn options in AnyDVD on and off at will to affect the mounted ISO without making changes permanently.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been doing ISO rips. But that's a pretty compelling reason to start.

Regards
Bob

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been doing ISO rips. But that's a pretty compelling reason to start.

Regards
Bob

Yea, the thing with protected ISOs is, you DO have to have AnyDVD running when you mount them, BUT, they will be as close to the experience of putting in an original as you can get. You can change any options in AnyDVD, and they will be applied on the fly. This is really where the power of AnyDVD lies IMO.

Just curious about something, when Speed Menus are enabled it has to create a Stream, Clipinfo and PlayList for the menu background. On the title I tested, this over-wrote a stream/clipinfo that already existed on the disc (in this case just a Blu-ray player firmware warning, so no big deal)... How does Any determine what Stream to over-write?

Why not just make it create a new one that's not being used already? I wouldn't want it to over-write a bonus feature or something with the background graphic...

And, if it's not over-writing existing files, it would be easy to keep a copy of the original Java menus if I just wanted to quickly make the disc (ripped to a folder structure) back to it's original state without worry.

Why not just make it create a new one that's not being used already? I wouldn't want it to over-write a bonus feature or something with the background graphic...

And, if it's not over-writing existing files, it would be easy to keep a copy of the original Java menus if I just wanted to quickly make the disc (ripped to a folder structure) back to it's original state without worry.

These things are not a simple as you may think, when having to modify an existing filesystem on the fly...
It will be done, but not just now.

These things are not a simple as you may think, when having to modify an existing filesystem on the fly...
It will be done, but not just now.

Oh, I never expected them to be simple... I'm damn impressed Speed Menus works at all! :bowdown: Getting runtimes, and little thumbnails, etc... Very nice work.

I was just concerned that I saw it over-writing Stream 00002, which could very likely be the feature on some discs... You'd probably be safe making it Stream/Playlist 20000 or something, don't think I've ever seen that used on a disc, and wouldn't have to worry much about checking that it's not a feature length stream... :D Just wanted to ask...

Back