• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Sony Dvd's

Well said. :clap: And your point about CloneDVD needing some attention is true. There have been a couple of documented cases where Shrink refused to open the output of CloneDVD. FixVTS has generally been able to correct the situation, but, that shouldn't be needed. Then again, if Slysoft releases a ripper for use with AnyDVD, then everyone will be happy including CloneDVD users.

Well said. :clap: And your point about CloneDVD needing some attention is true. There have been a couple of documented cases where Shrink refused to open the output of CloneDVD. FixVTS has generally been able to correct the situation, but, that shouldn't be needed. Then again, if Slysoft releases a ripper for use with AnyDVD, then everyone will be happy including CloneDVD users.

Wouldn't it be nice if Slysoft just bought CloneDVD outright and updated it themselves to handle this...

It seems unlikely though. Yes, it would be nice, but, I just don't see that happening.

Agreed... but I guess but bugs me the most is the deafening silence when it comes to CloneDVD. No information. I assume that Elby is working on the next version but who knows.

My GUESS is that they're working on an HD version of CloneDVD, but, I could be wrong.

Why work on a clonedvd hd? There is no burners for it unless you want it just for bluray at the moment?

First off, I don't work for Slysoft of Elby so I can't tell you what they're actually working on. :) And second, if they're working on CloneDVD HD as I suspect, it's not being released tomorrow. A product like that is going to take an enormous amount of time to write and test, etc. If they're working on it NOW, it'll probably be a year before they can actually release it.

Why work on a clonedvd hd? There is no burners for it unless you want it just for bluray at the moment?

And there aren't ever likely to be that many HD-DVD burners... I just don't see it catching on as a computer media, whatever the home video market decides in the end. As used on computers, Blu-Ray carries with it none of the disadvantages it offers as a home video medium; outstripping HD-DVD in pretty much every way.

What Elby would be wise to work on (preferably,though Slysoft would just buy CloneDVD) is a CloneDVD HD program that can take HD-DVD structures and burn them on a BD-R, creating a BD-compliant video disc, as well as being able to burn both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (for the stubborn and stragglers) backups. At least both formats are compatible with the same video codecs... though converting the menus (particularly those enhanced-type menus) might be challenging, since I assume both HD-DVD and BD use different methods.

Last edited:
Sony DVD defects and flaws

I've heard this argument before. Hell, I've perpetrated this argument before until I realized something that was pointed out to me many times. DVD Shrink requires a compliant DVD structure. That is its only "fault". So, if its only fault is that it requires a compliant DVD structure, how is it "stone-age"? What needs to be updated in it? It's compression is still by far better than CloneDVD's. (Look, I love CloneDVD, but, there's no denying that DVD Shrink's compression engine is better.) The job of the ripper is to provide DVD Shrink with a compliant DVD structure. Where the confusion lies I think is that people want to believe AnyDVD is a ripper where it is not. There are ways to use AnyDVD and provide DVD Shrink with the compliant DVD structure that it requires. So again, I ask this question...where, exactly, is the problem?

I really like and appreciate the efforts SamuriHL has made to correctly analyze and describe the issues surrounding AnyDVD and DVDShrink. I agree with the comments stating that DVDShrink is most certainly not an archaic program not deserving of further use and attention. It remains a truly awesome program that gets a lot of use due to its quality transcoding and very flexible re-authoring capabilities.

The real issue here is that Sony has gone completely overboard in forcing mindless structures and intentional flaws and defects onto their dvd's for sale in a rather hopeless and vain attempt at stopping folks from being able to back-up their dvd's. And, as both James and SamuriHL has stated repeatedly, it requires a batch process to clean up and dispose of Sony's garbage on their dvd releases these days. It is unlikely that AnyDVD will ever be able to clean out the Sony flaws and defects on the fly. There are a fair number of options available to accomplish the required repairs and cleansing of today's Sony dvd releases - and I expect a fully functional process offered by Slysoft which takes advantage of AnyDVD's capabilities will be a welcome addition.

Thanks, Rich86, I appreciate the kind words. And you are absolutely correct in all that you said. I for one can't wait to see what James has cooking in the ripping arena. It should be a wonderful program, I'm sure. In the meantime sit back, use the VobBlanker or CloneDVD ripping methods, and enjoy protection free backups with your favorite transcoding or reencoding engine of choice. :)

I'm looking forward to that as well. In the meantime it's all "workarounds".

-W (I'd just like ot hear more about how it's going)

Back