• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Sony Dvd's

Shrink will work as long as DVD5's and 9's exist.. It just needs to see an ISO compliant DVD.
i thought you could rip a dvd to hard drive using clonevdvd2 (dvd9 setting for no compression) then import it into dvd shrink,no?

One of the reasons I dislike Clonedvd2 is that it looks like a child's program something my 3 year old nephew would use. The sheep are just silly looking.

i thought you could rip a dvd to hard drive using clonevdvd2 (dvd9 setting for no compression) then import it into dvd shrink,no?
You can. Although I think there is one or two DVDs that still carry a bit of junk after it has gone through CloneDVD. But don't quote me on that. But as I said, some people do not wish to pay $40+ for a ripper.

One of the reasons I dislike Clonedvd2 is that it looks like a child's program something my 3 year old nephew would use. The sheep are just silly looking.
Does it really matter what it looks like? As long as it works! Thats what I want.

Does it really matter what it looks like? As long as it works! Thats what I want.
exactly.it does what it is supposed to do.
i think the origin of the sheep is to do with the first cloned sheep called dolly.
it's no worse than having a fox for anydvd.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I've used the trial a few times and I do have to agree with you sneakers.

So those that want a free way to rip compliant DVDs with AnyDVD refuse to even try using the freeware VobBlanker as a ripper? I know I've recommended this method many times as have several others. And it's not exactly rocket science to use it to rip with. Load up the DVD, set an output directory, hit process. And who knows, once you do that a few times you may actually consider looking at what VobBlanker does and actually use some of the really nice features. Want to get rid of some previews and/or extras before you run the DVD through Shrink? Well, that's kind of what VobBlanker was designed for. ;) In any case, AnyDVD was not designed to be a ripper and DVD Shrink requires compliant DVD structures which Sony refuses to give. A solution (free, no less) is available. What's the issue?

Technically, the problem isn't with either AnyDVD or even DVDShrink; both programs do exactly what they were intended for, and both do it quite well. The fault is entirely with Sony, and their shameless (and of questionable legality, IMO) mutilation of DVD structures. Personally, I hope these titles are bootlegged and copied more than ever; if only to spite Sony.

That said, it would still be incredibly good of Slysoft to provide an update for AnyDVD that would enable it to create DVDShrink-compatible rips without the need for the additional use of FixVTS; if at all possible. Ideally, AnyDVD would make these terribly-mastered DVDs look compatible to DVDShrink on-the-fly, though I doubt that's possible.

So those that want a free way to rip compliant DVDs with AnyDVD refuse to even try using the freeware VobBlanker as a ripper? I know I've recommended this method many times as have several others. And it's not exactly rocket science to use it to rip with. Load up the DVD, set an output directory, hit process. And who knows, once you do that a few times you may actually consider looking at what VobBlanker does and actually use some of the really nice features. Want to get rid of some previews and/or extras before you run the DVD through Shrink? Well, that's kind of what VobBlanker was designed for. ;) In any case, AnyDVD was not designed to be a ripper and DVD Shrink requires compliant DVD structures which Sony refuses to give. A solution (free, no less) is available. What's the issue?

I agree with you wholeheartedly, SamuriHL. Unfortunately some people refuse to acknowledge most of what you've just said and others have said in the past. Why? I have yet to figure that out.

And people complaining that CloneDVD is too childish looking? Wow, are we really that desperate to find reasons to complain or what?

Use it or don't use it. Regardless, for those who so much detest the program then read what others have written many times before including myself and use freeware alternatives (ie FixVTS, VobBlanker, DVD Shrink) that do exactly what you complain that AnyDVD + CloneDVD doesn't!

Edit: Just to clarify, although the childish look of CloneDVD was mentioned in this thread this is far from the first time I've heard the statement/complaint made concerning this.

Last edited:
I agree with you wholeheartedly, SamuriHL. Unfortunately some people refuse to acknowledge most of what you've just said and others have said in the past. Why? I have yet to figure that out.

I have no idea, either. I guess some people just want to rip on Slysoft for no reason. But it does bother me when people start saying things like "they're pushing CloneDVD" as the solution when in fact a freeware solution has been presented that works really well.

And people complaining that CloneDVD is too childish looking? Wow, are we really that desperate to find reasons to complain or what?

ROFLMAO! Yea, um, I'm not even going there. Functionality wise, you can't beat CloneDVD except on compression.

Use it or don't use it. Regardless, for those who so much detest the program then read what others have written many times before including myself and use freeware alternatives (ie FixVTS, VobBlanker, DVD Shrink) that do exactly what you complain that AnyDVD + CloneDVD doesn't!

I completely agree. Don't want to use CloneDVD? Fine, use a piece of freeware with AnyDVD to rip it to your hard drive and then have at it. Why sit here and complain that it can't be done?

sony movies copy fine with 1 click dvd and any dvd also. so that is another choice to consider also. but since it's not free either i suppose that means nothing to the shrink users.

<snip>
Functionality wise, you can't beat CloneDVD except on compression.

[OT]

Just wanted to thank you for getting me to check out DVD-RB. I got the Pro version and used it with CCE SP 2.7 on The Good Shepherd since the movie was so long [2 hrs 47 min + 16 more minutes of deleted scenes] and I needed better quality compression than CloneDVD since I think it was down below 50% quality. The results were very nice. Of course it did take 207 minutes but the time spent was well worth it in this case. :)

[/OT]

[OT]

Just wanted to thank you for getting me to check out DVD-RB. I got the Pro version and used it with CCE SP 2.7 on The Good Shepherd since the movie was so long [2 hrs 47 min + 16 more minutes of deleted scenes] and I needed better quality compression than CloneDVD since I think it was down below 50% quality. The results were very nice. Of course it did take 207 minutes but the time spent was well worth it in this case. :)

[/OT]

Excellent. :) Glad you were happy with the results. I did The Good Shepherd with Recode and it came out pretty decent. I should have done it with DVD-RB but I was using both video machines at the time and didn't want to tie up my laptop. I may redo it this weekend. 207 minutes sounds about average for a movie that big.

sony movies copy fine with 1 click dvd and any dvd also. so that is another choice to consider also. but since it's not free either i suppose that means nothing to the shrink users.

It's still a valid alternative to CloneDVD which proves the point that there isn't a conspiracy that some [but not all] people wish to allude to while others directly state exists. AnyDVD does work with other programs than CloneDVD.

VobBlanker

I quote from the VobBlanker home page:

"VobBlanker needs a FILE mode, unencrypted backup of the DVD to be processed."

How does this get around the problem of Sony encryption techniques when used with AnyDVD...or on its own?

I quote from the VobBlanker home page:

"VobBlanker needs a FILE mode, unencrypted backup of the DVD to be processed."

How does this get around the problem of Sony encryption techniques when used with AnyDVD...or on its own?

Haven't tried it huh? If you use the latest beta of VobBlanker *WITH ANYDVD RUNNING* it will indeed be able to rip even the latest Sony crap and create a clean DVD structure on the hard drive that Shrink can open. Trust me...I've done it with all the latest Sony protected movies I own. Works just fine. But you *MUST* use the latest BETA release of VobBlanker otherwise you'll get a 99 VTS error message.

But seriously, insert DVD, let AnyDVD scan it, open VobBlanker, select the VIDEO_TS.IFO file on the DVD, select an output directory on your hard drive, and without doing anything else just click the "process!!" button. That will create a clean rip for you.

SamuraiHL, I usually use CloneDVD or DVD-RB PRO for the (Big Movies) but decided to try VobBlanker on a few new Heavily-Protected movies and works great.

BTW, Found the latest version here - http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/betas/VobBlanker_2130b8_exe.zip

I still prefer CloneDVD above everything, but always nice to have a second or third option to run with AnyDVD. :) Thanks

P.S. Especially nice for ripping whole DVD to DVD+R DL ;)

Last edited:
SamuraiHL, I usually use CloneDVD or DVD-RB PRO for the (Big Movies) but decided to try VobBlanker on a few new Heavily-Protected movies and works great.

BTW, Found the latest version here - http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/betas/VobBlanker_2130b8_exe.zip

I still prefer CloneDVD above everything, but always nice to have a second or third option to run with AnyDVD. :) Thanks

You're quite welcome. I'm glad it works for you. I wish more DVD Shrink users would give it a try. It's really a simple way to continue doing what they want to do and it doesn't cost them anything unlike CloneDVD. Personally I like CloneDVD as it's fast, great preview system, and also creates clean rips, but, I already own it. If I wanted freeware to work with AnyDVD, that'd be what I used every time. And like I said, the bonus is you can blank out whatever you don't want to keep to give Shrink extra room to work with. How is that not a win win situation for everyone?! :) I've searched long and hard for a solution to this current problem for Shrink users...hence my attempt at the FixVTS batch file that unfortunately failed. But until Slysoft releases a stand alone ripper for use with AnyDVD, this solution WORKS.

P.S. Especially nice for ripping whole DVD to DVD+R DL ;)

Well, if you don't care about layer break, yes, this is true. And the best thing about VobBlanker is that you can remove titlesets that even CloneDVD can't do so you can remove annoying trailers, logos, "don't pirate" warnings, etc. (I never understood that don't pirate video they show...I mean, didn't you just buy the damn disc? Soooooo, why target me with that?! /rant) But even if you're going to burn to DL, this is still a nice thing to do. Gets you right to the menu, no previews for movies you either A> Own or B> Don't want to own, and gets you right to the movie when you say play. To quote Borat..."It's niiiiiiiiiice". :)

Back