SONY BDP-S370 not playing BD copy

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by Frank, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank SlySoft Support Team

Several reports have reached us in Support now about backed-up BDs not playing on a new SONY external player, the BDP-S370.

The backed-up BluRays in question play flawlessly on the PC and all other external players, like a PS3. This behavior was also documented in at least one other forum.

The BDP-S370 either shows "000" in the counter or a message:

"Cannot correctly identify disc. Cannot use network function of disc."

We are gathering information about this after-the-process matter. It does not appear to be a "blank" issue as other backed-up films play just fine on that player with those blanks.

User experiences reported to us or found elsewhere concerning this drive show similar "won't play" scenarios. Looking more like just a poorly designed player.
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Looks like that's not the only issue with that player. Look at the following review from a customer that returned it.

source: http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/sony-bdp-s370-blu-ray-disc-player-reviews#smoothScrollToSection

3. fast eddie

fast eddie Well-Known Member

File:UPDATA_M03R769.ZIP
    Date:6/28/2011
    Version:M03.R.769
    Size:37.65 MB

This is the latest firmware version for the Sony BDP-S370 from the Sony website. Sometimes Sony uses the same firmware version on some of their other Sony Blu-ray player models.

If this is the first Sony Blu-ray hardware player with Cinavia built-in that has reached the marketplace, I would be sure you DO NOT use this firmware update on ANY OTHER Sony Blu-ray player that uses the same firmware update:agree:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. PrincipalityFusion

PrincipalityFusion Well-Known Member

This sounds like the player is rejecting all but commercial disks. That wouldn't be a big surprise. First, it's Sony, what do you expect? Second, this is what first generation DVD players did.

I would just stay away from any Sony optical disk player, or at the very least hold out updating the firmware as long as possible.

5. Ch3vr0n

If that's the actual case they'll be losing a big market. All those people out there with HD camcorders. If they burn their home movies into a blu-ray structure, that freakin thing won't even play em. Bad move sony.

6. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

Not suprise at all. Sharp has done similar thing where it won't play file if it use blu-ray structure and doesn't have AACS.

I know one model for sure which does this.

7. Pudder

Pudder Active Member

I have had 2 disc's now that won't play in my stand alone BDP 51FD Pioneer profile 1.1 with 6.65 firmware, Lion King and Star Wars 4. Originals play fine but the back ups freeze, But play fine on the pc and my friends Sony 3D player up dated firmware one month ago. I don't know if this is because of this new protection or by my not updating my player. The new update will install cinivia from Pioneer. Tried Lion King from two different sources with the same result. Using the latest Pioneer burner BDR-206DBK with 1.56 firmware. Is there still something in the disc that could cause this ? Any Ideas out there....

8. MrBiG

MrBiG Member

This type of behavior is old hat for Sony. I bought a Sony media-player last year only to find out later, in fineprint, that it wouldn't play certain file types over DLNA. I can only assume this was due to similiar "piracy concerns". Needless to say I sold the POS.

9. Ch3vr0n

That's because the only official supported file type by the official DLNA standard is MPEG2, declining other types has nothing to do with sony itself

10. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

You could check the folder structure of the copy and make sure it has all the folders even if they are empty. I've seen that cause it to stop working when playing back with software players, and on a few settop players. You could also try changing it to a BDAV structure and see if it'll play that instead

11. Vanbursta

Vanbursta Member

Not playing backups

I can confirm that the BDP-370 does NOT play some backed up Blu- Rays, one of them is Bad Teacher and there are several others too. All that happens is the display shows 00:00:00 and the TV output is completely blank. The Blu Ray plays fine in my older BDP-350.

12. fast eddie

fast eddie Well-Known Member

What firmware versions are you running in the BDP-350 and the BDP-370?

I believe someone stated that the source disk Bad Teacher has the Cinavia infection on it. And, building a back-up disk with the protections removed, on a source disk which has the Cinavia infection will not play on a factory BDP-370 hardware player with Cinavia built-in. Your older BDP-350 does not have the Cinavia infection.

I think I would try building your back-up as BDMV-REC disk and see if it will play on the most likely Cinavia infected BDP-370.

13. Frank

Maybe not a real "problem" after all

Sometimes things move quickly and this is one of those times.
    It is beginning to look more and more like this S370 device is just another poorly designed player.

If one reads some of the "negative" consumer feedback here:

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/sony-bdp-s370-blu-ray-disc-player-reviews#smoothScrollToSection

you'll see this player is simply hit and miss with playing some copies.

Nothing evil or magical at all.

I'll eventually close this thread and we can list this drive as another questionable player. My thanks to all who provided info on this matter.

14. MrBiG

MrBiG Member

That may be the official line but I don't buy that for a minute. Sony has a long history of intentionally crippling their own products.

15. Ch3vr0n

16. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

Please stop this. It just causes more misinformation.

Cinavia does not cause a disc to not start playing with a blank screen and 00:00:00 on the LED display. It sounds like you still don't even understand what Cinavia is or how it works, I suggest you read (or re-read) the Wikipedia article on it again.

This thread has absolutely nothing to do with Cinavia.

17. slimm

slimm Active Member

I have the Sony BDP-S770 with the latest firmware (M04R787) and have no problems playing my back-up of Bad Teachers or any back-ups of any of the other "Cinavia infected" blu-ray titles.

18. Ch3vr0n

nobody's taking about the S770 here. Its the S370 we're talking about.

19. routledgepaul

routledgepaul Well-Known Member

Sony BDP-S370

Hi All,

Just for info,

I have the above aroud 18 months old with original firmware and it plays my BD-RE back ups OK so far. :confused:

20. Frank

That may not be the whole story

Thanks for that. This is why we have an eye on this to see if other experiences lead in another direction. It seems to be hit/miss and title dependent which makes little sense but seems to be so nevertheless.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.